ESPN- Bears 2nd worst offseason

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

Pretty poor argument to justify the low ranking.

Fails to mention the WHOLE F’N DRAFT when talking about offseason acquisitions. Lol

Also ignores the the addition of Gipson to the secondary. That was a huge fucking miss by the author.

Cant argue the knock on the JG contract.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Fails to mention the WHOLE F’N DRAFT when talking about offseason acquisitions. Lol

Also ignores the the addition of Gipson to the secondary. That was a huge fucking miss by the author.

You can't argue JG but he keeps going back to Eric Ebron, who has been all by confirmed that he's a locker room cancer and very difficult to coach. Sometimes that isn't worth it

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Obligatory tHe MEdiA haTEs dA bEarS...

But seriously though, this is dumb. The Quinn deal alone raises our offseason from bad to average. Mark my words, Quinn, Mack and Hicks are going to wreak havoc if everyone stays healthy. We did ok with the limited draft capital we had, not crazy about the Kmet pick. I think he will be ok, just think there were better options there. Maybe I'll be wrong, hope I am. Wish we had done more to address OL. Limited cap though.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The offseason grade for defense A+++
the offseason grade for offense C-

how do they get a F grade with that? Why is he yapping about db we signed two db in fa, drafted two, and also signed two S but he likes our move we made for the offensive line lmfffao

Nelly

Liked Posts:
"We'll have to start Jaylon Johnson?" What kind of comment is that? He's a highly touted second round pick with almost consensus 1st round talent. Why wouldn't you want to start that kind of guy?

Good call on the Gipson signing. That's a big deal.

I get the Graham overpay comments but there's a chance he's got some juice left as every tight end sucks in Green Bay. I wouldn't justify the contract, just to say that it might not look so bad once the season gets going.

Lastly, I hate that he's basically lumping every last QB in with the Foles trade. Foles has a history in this offense with our coaches. The last time he played in this offense, he won a superbowl. Newton is broken, Dalton is meh and Flacco is done. It's silly to say we made a terrible move for Foles when all we gave up was a 4th round pick.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The big offseason winners usually suck .. Pace deserves scrutiny for no major splashes at OL and throwing bags of cash at a TE on the verge of retirement, but the rest was pretty good...

What would have looked better...

Bulaga, Erick Flowers or Vaitai - 3 years 30m - still have room for Ifedi and Spriggs and legit competition at RT/RG.
Actually invest in player development for once with the 12 TE's on the roster... Trim the fat, still draft Kmet

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is the no trade clause for Jimmy Graham a negative? No one is going to trade for him on that contract.

kalmavet

Liked Posts:
Barnwell was the first one saying Jax would have to include a 1st or 2nd round pick. That it took a 4th surprised me. Maybe Barnwell is analyzing based oh his preconceived notion about the jaguars having to send a pick.

Regardless, I realize some of the bears' offseason was odd/bad, but how is signing the best pass rusher on the market (2nd most important position) to a fair deal not automatically put them in the middle of the pack? Gipson was great value too.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sign Warford, and sign Stills(when he inevitably gets cut) well as cutting CP.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Logic doesn't always apply with regards to opinions on the internet.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Jimmy signing stinks of Glennon so bad, especially after drafting Kmet...

Pace: " I'll spend a ton on a bloke so everyone thinks I won't draft that position. FULEESED"

:Pace:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Off season moves includes staff. I believe the offense coaching changes are significant upgrades.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I like the Graham signing (and Foles for that matter) if he's there to provide younger players with guidance and support, as well as give us a decent starting TE for a season. Be interesting if he's there because they still see raw talent in Shaheen, or others further down the roster?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Jimmy signing stinks of Glennon so bad, especially after drafting Kmet...

Pace: " I'll spend a ton on a bloke so everyone thinks I won't draft that position. FULEESED"

:Pace:
Not sure I understand your issue here. No one thinks Graham is a long term solution, where as Kmet on the other hand.....

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

The article actually started off speaking highly of the Ifedi, Quinn and Burns moves in a positive light, but quickly became critical of all the other moves. It is easy to use hindsight, like the author did with Foles, BUT, I think his opinion of Foles is quite low if he does not think he was worth a 4th round pick, and Foles restructured his deal.

I agree about Gipson, if he works out, that was a critical hole that will be filled.

I think the Graham contract came out of desperation. The Bears have invested some money into the position, and I guess that was not going to change. If Graham does what he did in Greenbay, and sprinkle in Kmet, then the TE position will be a huge improvement. BTW, I don't remember if I have mentioned this or not :sneaky: , but Foles LOVES to throw to TE's....

No mention at all of the Bears Draft? Not that we set the world on Fire, but on paper we got some good pieces, at positions of need.

While most of these talking heads know very little about our team, this guy remembers that we brought in Dion Simms at TE, so his point is valid, we have thrown money at the position and failed too many times, so to think Graham is going to break out this season is a stretch.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Objectively speaking, NE and HOU likely had "a league of their own" worst offseasons. One went from being a perennial SB contender to a giant question mark with the loss of their dynasty QB, the other had a "worst in a decade or more" type trade that was so bad it questions if not risks the long term future of Watson.

Even if you think the Bears did nothing to improve, no one would suggest the Bears or really any other team (maybe CAR), have regressed as much as those 2. So I find it disingenuous to have the Bears listed as 2nd worst.

Last edited:

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
I'm not a fan of the contract, but I do like the Graham signing. Those comparing it to Glennon are delirious. You only have 1 QB on the field, but the Bears run an offense that prominently runs a lot of double tight end formations. Need more than just Kmet and Shaheen (who at this point, can't be relied upon anyways).

I also am content with the Foles trade. He has familiarity in the offense and has actually shown the capability to play at a very high level within it. It's not an ideal situation, but each QB option available this year had similar or even more pressing questions. Yeah, Brady and Brees are future HoF QB's, but they're also 43 and 41 respectively and Brady in particular, was showing very clear signs of regression last year. Brees is probably in for a similar fate sooner rather than later, and is coming off an injury-plagued season. Newton has been ravaged by injury and his game relies a lot more heavily on athleticism than Foles does. Rivers is going to be 39 and had a very underwhelming 2019 season, throwing 20 picks.

So yeah, big names but all of them are either really old and declining or injury plagued...or both.

Defense is where this ranking goes completely topside. Gipson and Quinn are both excellent signings. You pair the best pass rusher on the market with Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks, two of the best pass rushers in the game right now, and that's not a good signing? Gipson, if healthy, is a good safety to pair opposite Jackson. Yeah, nonsensical.