ESPN: Bulls Reach out to Phil Jackson

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Just heard this on ESPN during the Celtics vs. Magic game. The sports center host said that the Bulls have reached out to Phil Jackson. They'll be covering it on sports center after the game.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
If Phil comes back to coach do we have to unretire him and remove the banner?

I don't really believe this is anything more than Phil trying to increase his leverage with the Lakers and get more money.

Liked Posts:
No way he does this.

No way.

Phil Jackson will not sign with a team to be their coach unless he has the number one premier player at that time (don't throw the '93-94 season at me. The whole world knew MJ was coming back).

Since Kobe Bryant is still the best, premier player in basketball and since the Lakers are going to win him another title this year there is 0% chance Phil returns to Chicago

He isn't the coach Larry Brown is. Phil's too afraid to coach a team where your best guy is Loy Vaught. Larry Brown took a team that bad to the playoffs and loves coaching so much he coached in college and recruited kids in their homes. Phil would never do that.

All he does is sit on his thrown and throw that arrogant smirk around and whistle while Kobe and MJ and Shaq do everything. That makes him the greatest coach in sports history?

No.

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO if things get really ugly or somewhat ugly with Phil and the Lakers I can see this happening. But this really makes me excited but I really dont know if this would happen. If this is for real then they'll have to give what Jackson wants for money if he really is that dead serious about the money. But still I dont see him leaving the Lakers. But if this does happen.....then wow,I'll be way too excited. But still I dont see Phil leaving a team with Kobe and Gasol and crew for Drose Noah and possibly Lebron because we still do not have a bench like the Lakers and what not and ext. Plus I can see him more leaving for Cleveland than Chicago to coach Lebron their since the Cavs are still a better team than ours. It all depends on Lebron and now maybe Phil and what they do and vice versa of each other.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
This is all about Lebron James. This is a Lebron move. Phil is not coming here without Lebron. I believe Lebron would play for Thibodeau, but he would definitely play for Phil. Who wouldn't play for a coach that has won 10 and after this ring, maybe 11 rings?

Phil and Lebron in Chicago? That is possibly 13, 14 maybe 15 rings for Phil, he would then be untouchable in the all-time coaching ranks...

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. But idk if Phil would leave a team like that for ours,even with him being our coach before. But if thats the case,it means he will have to be locked up for how many years to coach when we dont even know how many he has left when last year he pretty much wanted it to be done and over with already especially with how his health was. But if Reisendorf isnt going to be cheap and actually does offer him the money,then maybe his "health" will be better lol. But we'll see,for all we know the Bulls will be the same Bulls and be cheap. But if this fails,if they really are trying for this,then I give the Bulls owner and management big props even if this doesnt happen. This will be one interesting summer,and shows why I love basketball more than any other sport.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5216961

This is a thumb in the eye to all the "Reinsdorf is cheap and doesn't care about winning" crap posted on this forum....

That was the first thing I thought when I read that. I feel if you talk to Jackson, your willing to pay $12-15 million on a coach. Now they could be posturing, to make it look like they are willing to spend, but if they are seriously inquiring, it certiantly means they would be willing to spend top dollar to get Phil. Phil was asked recently if he would accept a paycut in LA and he responded to the reporter "Would you!?".

I will say this though. If I am the Bulls and Jackson shows any interest, I go out there, through a big old $15 million contract on his table, one you know the Lakers won't match and whether he takes it or not, you are telling Lebron, "come to me, we will do what it takes to win".

Love this rumor, if for nothing else, it makes us look serious...

Kush77

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5216961

This is a thumb in the eye to all the "Reinsdorf is cheap and doesn't care about winning" crap posted on this forum....

Not really because it hasn't happened yet. When it happens and it leads to LeBron, then I'll give credit to JR.

I highly doubt JR would bring in Phil for 10-12 mil if it doesn't leads to LeBron. LeBron would bring titles here and mega profits, so JR would do it then.

And you need to get what I say right Hou. I never said JR doesn't care about winning. He cares about profits MORE than winning. LBJ and Jackson would guarantee mega profits. Reading is a skill, isn't that your motto? B)

I've said JR is cheap, not stupid. He wouldn't pass on a chance to increase the value of his franchise even more. But it has to happen first. This is just a lot of talk right now. Similar to all the stuff you hear pre-draft, then nothing happens.

Until July 1st, it's all just talk. I'm optimistic, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Not really because it hasn't happened yet. When it happens and it leads to LeBron, then I'll give credit to JR.

I highly doubt JR would bring in Phil for 10-12 mil if it doesn't leads to LeBron. LeBron would bring titles here and mega profits, so JR would do it then.

And you need to get what I say right Hou. I never said JR doesn't care about winning. He cares about profits MORE than winning. LBJ and Jackson would guarantee mega profits. Reading is a skill, isn't that your motto?

I've said JR is cheap, not stupid. He wouldn't pass on a chance to increase the value of his franchise even more. But it has to happen first. This is just a lot of talk right now. Similar to all the stuff you hear pre-draft, then nothing happens.

Until July 1st, it's all just talk. I'm optimistic, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

Why would Phil come here if Lebron isn't here? When have you ever known Phil to go anywhere that the setup wasn't in order? If JR cares about profits more than winning...and winning is profitable...well guess what buddy...JR must give a damn about winning. Wins and profit go hand in hand in most markets. Why would JR go after Lebron when he constantly gets 900,000 butts in the seats every year at home, and is even a top draw on the road? Why? Why would he offer Phil 12-15mil and Lebron the max if he already has a drawing card? That is almost 200mil of guaranteed money on a superstar and a coach. If he doesn't want to win, he is wasting his money...right? Oh the report also says that Phil has a good relationship with Reinsdorf, so does Jordan and Pippen. Now why would that be if Reinsdorf sabotaged a franchise and kept it from winning titles in 1998 by chasing everybody out of town? Explain that to me please...makes no sense...this shows that the team is more than willing to spend money to win. Its not just about Lebron being a well known sports figure...its about him being the best in the league. And remember, they were prepared to spend this summer whether its Lebron or not.

The word is frugal, not cheap, cheap is inherently a word that denotes meanness. I don't think you can back up any of your claims of him being cheap. Stingy, miserly, all synonymous with the word "cheap". It denotes selfishness. Jordan could be selfish, you can't show me where Reinsdorf was the same. He is frugal, he used his resources thoughtfully and economically. Big difference. He is putting it all on the table to get Lebron so it seems. If he gets Lebron and Phil, does that prove that he is not cheap? It shouldn't because there is no evidence that he was cheap in the first place.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Why would Phil come here if Lebron isn't here?

Because JR would offer him more money than the Lakers. Your first comment in the thread was:

"This is a thumb in the eye to all the "Reinsdorf is cheap and doesn't care about winning" crap posted on this forum...."

I said not really because JR paying 10 mil or so for Phil is an attempt to lure LeBron. We all agree that Phil only comes here if LeBron is here. Therefore that doesn't absolve JR of cheapness, that just him willing too spend money on the best coach and player in the league in the same offseason. Probably has never happened before. So him paying Phil to get LeBron won't change my opinion on him being cheap. Again, I never said JR was dumb. But I guess we can say it takes once in a lifetime opportunities (Jordan-LeBron) to get JR to spend on his team.

What would change my opinion of JR being cheap? If he was willing to spend 8-10 mil on a good coach WITHOUT the LeBron factor. But he won't do that. We have proof of that 2 years ago when he wouldn't pay D'Antoni and we wind up with Vinny.

JR is cheap. When you won't go into luxury tax for a team in the 3rd largest market, that is also one of - if not the - most profitable, you're cheap.

You can give him props for giving MJ 33 and 36 mill, but I think anyone would give MJ that money because you make it back - and then some. Same with LeBron. I don't give extra credit to owners/GM for making the no-brainer moves.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Because JR would offer him more money than the Lakers. Your first comment in the thread was:

"This is a thumb in the eye to all the "Reinsdorf is cheap and doesn't care about winning" crap posted on this forum...."

I said not really because JR paying 10 mil or so for Phil is an attempt to lure LeBron. We all agree that Phil only comes here if LeBron is here. Therefore that doesn't absolve JR of cheapness, that just him willing too spend money on the best coach and player in the league in the same offseason. Probably has never happened before. So him paying Phil to get LeBron won't change my opinion on him being cheap. Again, I never said JR was dumb. But I guess we can say it takes once in a lifetime opportunities (Jordan-LeBron) to get JR to spend on his team.

What would change my opinion of JR being cheap? If he was willing to spend 8-10 mil on a good coach WITHOUT the LeBron factor. But he won't do that. We have proof of that 2 years ago when he wouldn't pay D'Antoni and we wind up with Vinny.

JR is cheap. When you won't go into luxury tax for a team in the 3rd largest market, that is also one of - if not the - most profitable, you're cheap.

You can give him props for giving MJ 33 and 36 mill, but I think anyone would give MJ that money because you make it back - and then some. Same with LeBron. I don't give extra credit to owners/GM for making the no-brainer moves.

Boy, you really like to make things up as you go...

"[Saturday] morning, Jerry and I spoke and agreed that Mike was a good fit, and I placed a call to his agent," Bulls GM John Paxson said in a statement. "Jerry wanted to meet with Mike again [Saturday] and talk about a deal. Unfortunately, we were never given an opportunity to make an offer of any kind, which is the most disappointing thing in all of this right now. I thought it would have been fair to listen to what we had to say, but at the end of the day we simply weren't given the opportunity."

So explain to me how JR is cheap when he never got a chance to make an offer...that makes no sense whatsoever. Either you made up a scenario to support your reasoning or you misinterpret the word "cheap" and what it means.

"I love it when a team wastes money. I love it. Let them lock themselves up so they lose maneuverability. I don't feel sorry for them when they waste money, then they cry that they're losing money. That's their problem. Eventually people correct the way they're acting. I don't see any teams on the verge of going broke like in hockey. I think the league is in good shape." Reinsdorf noted he would be willing to pay the NBA's luxury tax "if I thought we had a guy that would put us over the top and we would be in the Finals." Reinsdorf: "I wouldn't hesitate. But I haven't seen the guy that [Bulls GM Gar Forman or Exec VP/Basketball Operations John Paxson] has brought to me and said, 'Pay the tax and we're in the Finals.'"

So simple, you may not agree with his principles, that would be an argument for bad business sense, not cheapness. Cheap implies selfishness. I believe that he has shown a knack for being frugal more than selfish. Like I said before though, in capitalism, selfishness to a certain degree is warranted, your hero Michael Jordan knows that better than anyone, and i don't see you rail against him like you do JR. Jordan was a great player and Reinsdorf is actually one of the most respected owners in both the NBA and MLB.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Hou really needs to get a job. Always on!

I don't think anyone sitting on a boat writing a song about another man, should give me advice as to what I should do with my life.

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

I don't think anyone sitting on a boat writing a song about another man, should give me advice as to what I should do with my life.

Haha what a nice counterattack! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
For everyone foaming at the mouth over this, let me shoot this rumor down right now. Phil is not coming here & he said so himself 3 weeks ago.

When asked if he'd be interested in succeeding Vinny Del Negro:

"No, I'm not," Jackson said, "I think it's a wonderful job for whoever takes it. It's a team on the rise and there's some young talent that showed their ability to come back after probably a devastating first two months. Then from January on they played pretty well."

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
For everyone foaming at the mouth over this, let me shoot this rumor down right now. Phil is not coming here & he said so himself 3 weeks ago.

"No, I'm not," Jackson said, "I think it's a wonderful job for whoever takes it. It's a team on the rise and there's some young talent that showed their ability to come back after probably a devastating first two months. Then from January on they played pretty well."

I wouldn't rule it out if we got Bron and the Lakers really try to cut his salary to 5 mill.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Lol you too are hilarious. Where is the Hou and Frank podcast?

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
Diddy1122 wrote:

I wouldn't rule it out if we got Bron and the Lakers really try to cut his salary to 5 mill.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5220247

Straight from the man himself. It's so satisfying being right all the time. :)