ESPN+ Dalton vs Fields

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
DALTON

What he does best: I'm including Dalton in this list because Chicago signed him with the intention of starting him, even though he'll now compete with first-round pick Justin Fields. The veteran has the ability to produce in Matt Nagy's offense, distributing the ball like a point guard as a timing thrower.

The fit: The scheme fit works for Dalton, who could start multiple early-season games for the Bears until Fields is ready to play. When throwing on rhythm, Dalton can deliver the ball with accuracy in the quick game. He's an efficient passer who can also be schemed off play-action to make third-level throws. While Dalton lacks high-level traits, he sees things quickly and gets the ball out on time. And that creates opportunities for the Bears to marry the run and pass game together with Dalton -- if the veteran is named the Week 1 starter in September.

How the Bears can help him: Nagy can run outside zone with David Montgomery and scheme throws for Dalton. In addition to the quick-game reads we discussed, Nagy will have to set up Dalton on play-action passes to create second-level windows. That's where the veteran can stick his back foot in the ground and deliver the ball to both Allen Robinson II and Darnell Mooney with room to operate after the catch.

FIELDS

What he does best: Fields brings a playmaking element to the Chicago offense, with the deep-ball accuracy to challenge defenses vertically. He's a decisive and aggressive thrower who can drive the ball over the top with location -- from both inside and outside of the pocket.

The fit: This Bears offense under Nagy can expand to fit the playmaking ability and dual-threat talent of Fields. The Bears can scheme more verticals to set up the deep ball speed of wide receiver Darnell Mooney. They can isolate Allen Robinson II to throw one-on-one balls or bump him to the slot to give Fields an inside matchup on RPOs and quick game concepts. Given Field's athleticism, Nagy can get the rookie quarterback on the edge with movement concepts. Fields has the physical traits to take over games, and Nagy can scheme for him in an offense that is desperate for explosive play juice.

How the Bears can help him: When Fields is ready to start, the Bears can give him more defined throws and matchups off pre-snap movement to stretch defenses both horizontally and vertically. But as he progresses with game reps, we will see the rookie's ability to process the entire field as a pocket thrower, create off-script and threaten defenses on designed carries. The reality is that Fields is Chicago's future and Dalton is just a stopgap, so expect Fields to get opportunities to win the job early.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"an offense that is desperate for explosive play juice"
Love it

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I’m usually in the camp of play your rookie qbs right away-and I say this when commenting on all teams. I think it’s the better way

as of right now I think you give dalton 4 games. Let’s see how this oline holds up first. I don’t want fields rookie year to end like burrows rookie year.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I’m usually in the camp of play your rookie qbs right away-and I say this when commenting on all teams. I think it’s the better way

as of right now I think you give dalton 4 games. Let’s see how this oline holds up first. I don’t want fields rookie year to end like burrows rookie year.
I get where you are coming from but fear of injury to your QB is not the reason to sit him. It’s tough for any o line when your QBs are statues and/or are limited with accuracy, reading defenses, etc. A QB like Fields could be what the Bears offensive line needs to have more success. A QB who is accurate, mobile and one which defenses can’t crowd the LOS.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

Then there is the flip side of that in Herbert who has more mobility than Burrows and played behind one of the worst lines in the NFL. Look at the great year he had behind that horrible line. His mobility allowed him to overcome his OLine.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
DALTON

What he does best: I'm including Dalton in this list because Chicago signed him with the intention of starting him, even though he'll now compete with first-round pick Justin Fields. The veteran has the ability to produce in Matt Nagy's offense, distributing the ball like a point guard as a timing thrower.

The fit: The scheme fit works for Dalton, who could start multiple early-season games for the Bears until Fields is ready to play. When throwing on rhythm, Dalton can deliver the ball with accuracy in the quick game. He's an efficient passer who can also be schemed off play-action to make third-level throws. While Dalton lacks high-level traits, he sees things quickly and gets the ball out on time. And that creates opportunities for the Bears to marry the run and pass game together with Dalton -- if the veteran is named the Week 1 starter in September.

How the Bears can help him: Nagy can run outside zone with David Montgomery and scheme throws for Dalton. In addition to the quick-game reads we discussed, Nagy will have to set up Dalton on play-action passes to create second-level windows. That's where the veteran can stick his back foot in the ground and deliver the ball to both Allen Robinson II and Darnell Mooney with room to operate after the catch.

FIELDS

What he does best: Fields brings a playmaking element to the Chicago offense, with the deep-ball accuracy to challenge defenses vertically. He's a decisive and aggressive thrower who can drive the ball over the top with location -- from both inside and outside of the pocket.

The fit: This Bears offense under Nagy can expand to fit the playmaking ability and dual-threat talent of Fields. The Bears can scheme more verticals to set up the deep ball speed of wide receiver Darnell Mooney. They can isolate Allen Robinson II to throw one-on-one balls or bump him to the slot to give Fields an inside matchup on RPOs and quick game concepts. Given Field's athleticism, Nagy can get the rookie quarterback on the edge with movement concepts. Fields has the physical traits to take over games, and Nagy can scheme for him in an offense that is desperate for explosive play juice.

How the Bears can help him: When Fields is ready to start, the Bears can give him more defined throws and matchups off pre-snap movement to stretch defenses both horizontally and vertically. But as he progresses with game reps, we will see the rookie's ability to process the entire field as a pocket thrower, create off-script and threaten defenses on designed carries. The reality is that Fields is Chicago's future and Dalton is just a stopgap, so expect Fields to get opportunities to win the job early.

When it comes to high pressure games and $$ games where high football IQ , mental toughness are required , Fields has proven to have the edge.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
sports media makin easy money next 3 months livin in bears fans head

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
You can learn a LOT on the sidelines. Things that are almost impossible to learn once you are on the field, actually. That’s how bad habits develop and/or continue...
Fields can also learn a LOT on the field. Things that are almost impossible to learn when you are on the sidelines.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Learn the things he needs to learn on the sidelines first. Then, AFTER he has a solid grasp of it all, put him in the games. It’s really simple...
Thats what OTAs and training camps can be for. If he learns everything that’s needed, has a solid grasp of it all and shows hes ready, then he gets the start week 1. Im not saying it’s going to happen but if it does, there’s no benefit in having him watch from the bench.