Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, what does he know, right?
This is what he said about the 2017 draft.
  • Quarterbacks: I'm simply not down on this quarterback class. I just don’t think there is much difference in the top four’s chances of success in the NFL. They all can do some things really well, but all have issues, too. If I wanted a quarterback in this class, I would let the market dictate who I drafted; I would not want to spend a top-10 pick on any of them, because I would feel my chances of success would be just as great with QBs Nos. 2–4. Therefore, I would let the first two quarterbacks go off the board and then try to trade up to get one of the next two. There are so many talented players in this draft, I wouldn’t want the risk associated with either of the first two quarterback choices. But history tells us that QBs will go early, and I think it will happen again.

• In his mock, he had Watson and Mitch even, Picks 4 and 5. Mahomes and Kizer even at 25 and 26.
QB is hard.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is what he said about the 2017 draft.
  • Quarterbacks: I'm simply not down on this quarterback class. I just don’t think there is much difference in the top four’s chances of success in the NFL. They all can do some things really well, but all have issues, too. If I wanted a quarterback in this class, I would let the market dictate who I drafted; I would not want to spend a top-10 pick on any of them, because I would feel my chances of success would be just as great with QBs Nos. 2–4. Therefore, I would let the first two quarterbacks go off the board and then try to trade up to get one of the next two. There are so many talented players in this draft, I wouldn’t want the risk associated with either of the first two quarterback choices. But history tells us that QBs will go early, and I think it will happen again.

• In his mock, he had Watson and Mitch even, Picks 4 and 5. Mahomes and Kizer even at 25 and 26.
QB is hard.
Didnt say it wasn't. I just think its funny that a poster would mock the opinion of one of the most well respected voices in pro football. Then again, it was a former Mitch truther.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yah, Justin could kill out the gates or fall flat but I'll give it a while to determine what he is.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yah, Justin could kill out the gates or fall flat but I'll give it a while to determine what he is.
same. as much as i didn't like the Mitch pick, i at least gave him until year 3 before i started shitting on him.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
You can learn a LOT on the sidelines. Things that are almost impossible to learn once you are on the field, actually. That’s how bad habits develop and/or continue...

What could Fields learn on the sidelines that he cant be learning right now ? This is where the good habits start not during the season watching someone else play when the coaches focus is on the team trying to win the game

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
When it comes to high pressure games and $$ games where high football IQ , mental toughness are required , Fields has proven to have the edge.

Proven in college is a LOT different than proven in the NFL...

we could say the same about Lawrence ....right? But look how he's been "anointed"

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
You can learn a LOT on the sidelines. Things that are almost impossible to learn once you are on the field, actually. That’s how bad habits develop and/or continue...
Well I think I will defer to what Payton Manning said...........You learn absolutely nothing from the bench, you only learn by doing. He said that he learned as much from his rookie year where he threw 28 picks as he did from any other year he has had.

Most first round quarterbacks start very early in their careers, that's just a given.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I think I will defer to what Payton Manning said...........You learn absolutely nothing from the bench, you only learn by doing. He said that he learned as much from his rookie year where he threw 28 picks as he did from any other year he has had.

Most first round quarterbacks start very early in their careers, that's just a given.

If you watch Payton Manning’s QB film breakdowns on ESPN+, he actually makes this point on several occasions when analyzing rookie QB’s.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
we could say the same about Lawrence ....right? But look how he's been "anointed"
By who? If anything, I think Fields is more prepared for the NFL and I still would not be upset if he sat a few games.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you watch Payton Manning’s QB film breakdowns on ESPN+, he actually makes this point on several occasions when analyzing rookie QB’s.
It's true, he was finding limits and seeing what he could get away with. That's an awesome way for a talent to become even better but this staff can't afford a season like that. It's not like they had the worst record in the league last year and are willing to toss 2021 in the bin. They are in a diametrically opposed position where they would like Fields' risk/reward ration to be higher than Dalton's before he starts this year.

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's true, he was finding limits and seeing what he could get away with. That's an awesome way for a talent to become even better but this staff can't afford a season like that. It's not like they had the worst record in the league last year and are willing to toss 2021 in the bin. They are in a diametrically opposed position where they would like Fields' risk/reward ration to be higher than Dalton's before he starts this year.

Biggest hurdle would be the mental aspect. Some rookie QBs would let 28 ints get into their head and have a hard time coming back from it. Manning used it as a learning tool and became one of the best qbs all time. If Fields can have that same mentality then you throw him in and let him learn from his mistakes....just needs to keep a short memory

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Manning also said that each time he got out of the huddle, he began praying that his 1st read would be open. And when that read was covered, he would immediately go into a panicked state in his mind. That sort of fear play in and play out has got to be hard for some QB’s. It’s something Trubisky never grew out from.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Manning also said that each time he got out of the huddle, he began praying that his 1st read would be open. And when that read was covered, he would immediately go into a panicked state in his mind. That sort of fear play in and play out has got to be hard for some QB’s. It’s something Trubisky never grew out from.
Didn't know that part. Just heard about other bits in the past. probably somewhat embellished. I'm sure an offseason of watching that years games helped. I think this board is individually way too determined as to how to bring along Fields, whether to sit him or play him. I think it will present itself but at least this team has the luxury of a functional meh starter to hold the fort until that time comes.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

By who? If anything, I think Fields is more prepared for the NFL and I still would not be upset if he sat a few games.

Google Lawrence can't miss prospect. That'll give u an idea of who
Unless you think Nagy would treat him differently, what's your point?

Ok so based on what's already been discussed what does Nagy ? have to do with this?

The point was some ppl here, the pundits and media "anointed" Lawrence as can't miss. This was talked about earlier in this thread, if u wanna scroll back and get caught up. If not...no problem. For the record, I'm happy with Fields over the other Qb's.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The fucking thread title is Dalton vs Fields which is up to the head coach, Nagy. WTF does Lawrence have to do with anything? You are off topic and pointing at others for it again.