ESPN Insider Sleepers

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
As picked by coaches.

outside linebacker Dominique Robinson (fifth round, Chicago Bears): Robinson had an interesting path to the NFL, as he started at Miami early in his career before becoming a reserve. He had 2.5 sacks and 6.5 tackles for loss in 2021, but has a profile of skills that coaches think could project well to the NFL.

"He was a good player on tape, a guy who can really get to the quarterback," a MAC coach said. "It will be interesting to see how that turns out."

Cal safety Elijah Hicks (sixth round, Chicago): Few players showed more excitement about getting drafted than Hicks, who waited until the end of the seventh round to hear his name (No. 254 overall). Hicks had 213 tackles and five interceptions in 46 starts for Cal, earning first-team All-Pac-12 honors last year.

"He's a good player. I was surprised he went that low," a Power 5 offensive coordinator said. "He's not real tall, like 5-11. They probably like taller safeties, but I like him a lot."

SUPERBOWL

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Todd McShay all over Velus. Braxton Jones and Zachary Thomas getting praise as possible early starters. Brisker second best safety in the class, Cowboys having Gordon over both Packers' picks... now this. Man we just drafted like, at least 6 pro bowlers. Poles crushed it!

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I love all the early season hype.....

I just hope the first three picks pan out, if we somehow have anyone else from this draft still on the team next year, I will be impressed.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I love all the early season hype.....

I just hope the first three picks pan out, if we somehow have anyone else from this draft still on the team next year, I will be impressed.
Most of the day three picks will, if nothing else just for depth.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We don't mind cherry picking media as long as they make Bears' moves sound good.

Bonus if they're actually more well informed and researched than the negative puff pieces from outsiders who don't know better. ?‍♂️

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Two college coaches said about 2 of our late round draft picks "He's a good player."
There is literally no other analysis offered here.
ESPN is basically on par with the bloggers.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Todd McShay all over Velus. Braxton Jones and Zachary Thomas getting praise as possible early starters. Brisker second best safety in the class, Cowboys having Gordon over both Packers' picks... now this. Man we just drafted like, at least 6 pro bowlers. Poles crushed it!
Whenever any sports media outlet says anything positive about the bears or it’s players, it’s noteworthy.

When the same people/outlets say anything negative, it’s irrelevant ?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Whenever any sports media outlet says anything positive about the bears or it’s players, it’s noteworthy.

When the same people/outlets say anything negative, it’s irrelevant ?
This is the way.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Best part of first year HC seasons, true open competition at positions without obvious starters. No doghouses, no favoritism, just whoever works their ass off in practice and learns the playbook quick enough earns PT. Any of these guys could show out.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
I really liked what I saw, when watching any film I could find on Braxton Jones. His pass protection, is just smooth. He supposedly plays "with pad level too high" in the run game. But, that can be worked on. It's hard to find a guy, that solid in pass protection, and he makes it look easy.

Hopefully, the new staff will get this guy going. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns heads, and challenges Borum for that spot.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I forget their names but the two tackles they took late are guys I’m pulling for, not just out of the need, but also small school guys.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Don't be so pessimistic. Clearly they are going to be at least six or more Hall of Famers! Poles is an infallible god. How dare anybody question him.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
is this still a pay option? I stopped going to espn.com when all their content went to Insider, can't imagine paying for something that's just a regurgitation of all the other sites.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Best part of first year HC seasons, true open competition at positions without obvious starters. No doghouses, no favoritism, just whoever works their ass off in practice and learns the playbook quick enough earns PT. Any of these guys could show out.

Yep, its why I liked poles grabbing a bunch of late round guys. Plenty of play time out there if you play well, most teams don't have that opportunity.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Domonique Robinson, I really like. I got him on quite of few mocks in the early 5th, because he was above and beyond the best player IMO on a lot of mocks. I didn't think he was even going to make it to 148 or whatever the original first 5th round pick the Bears had was.

Hicks, I didn't watch until this week. I honestly am not sure he is an NFL level player. He had good college production and was kind of a turnover machine with 3 INTs and 4 forced fumbles last year. But he ran just a 4.65 from reports I've seen. From his tape, he doesn't change directions super well. He has good range at deep safety, but he has to keep everything in front of him. If he has to turn and run with anyone, I don't think that's a recipe for success for him, because he's slow to turn and then he actually runs slow. I don't like him for much more than single high, and I don't know that the Bears will do a ton of that.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Domonique Robinson, I really like. I got him on quite of few mocks in the early 5th, because he was above and beyond the best player IMO on a lot of mocks. I didn't think he was even going to make it to 148 or whatever the original first 5th round pick the Bears had was.

Hicks, I didn't watch until this week. I honestly am not sure he is an NFL level player. He had good college production and was kind of a turnover machine with 3 INTs and 4 forced fumbles last year. But he ran just a 4.65 from reports I've seen. From his tape, he doesn't change directions super well. He has good range at deep safety, but he has to keep everything in front of him. If he has to turn and run with anyone, I don't think that's a recipe for success for him, because he's slow to turn and then he actually runs slow. I don't like him for much more than single high, and I don't know that the Bears will do a ton of that.

As with most of these late picks, their only hope is special teams