ESPN: Matt Forte wants to resign with Bears, but pessimistic about return

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ago-bears-pessimistic-chances-re-signing-team

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte said on Wednesday he is pessimistic about his chances of re-signing with Chicago when his contract expires after the season.

Forte has played eight seasons in a Bears uniform since the franchise took him in the second round of the 2008 NFL draft.

"I mean, I want to return," Forte said. "But if you're saying, am I hopeful that I do return? There is not much to hope for that right now because like I said, I talked to [the Bears' front office] earlier and they haven't said anything back. So there's nothing really to hope for."

Forte, 30, is in the final season of the four-year, $30.4 million contract he signed in the summer of 2012. Forte earned a base salary of $7.050 million this year, plus per-game roster bonuses that could total $1.050 million.

Forte said he approached the Bears last winter about extending his contract, in part to lower his salary-cap number ($9.2 million) for 2015.

"At this point I'm not worried about earning powers and all that stuff," Forte said. "I've made money as a football player and it's not about that to me. That's what we talked about earlier in the offseason when I talked to [Bears general manager] Ryan Pace and them. I kind of went to them and was like, I have a high cap number, why not, let's do something now where it's reasonable and it's a good amount where I'll get to retire a Bear. Everybody's happy. But I'm not like looking for a huge contract deal like I did coming out with my second contract because I know I turned 30 and you know, most 30-year-old running backs don't get those type of deals like I did the second time."

Pace denied Forte's request.

"It was kind of politically correct type deal," Forte said. "I would respect it more if it was just like, look we're not going to re-sign you, or anything like that, because then I would know. It is what it is. I don't really harp too much on it. I play ball every Sunday as hard as I can and then I worry about that when free agency and all that stuff comes about."

Forte has every intention of playing next year. He currently leads the team with 768 rushing yards on 190 attempts -- Forte recently began to split carries with rookie Jeremy Langford -- and has 38 receptions for 332 yards.

Forte leads all NFL running backs with 12,531 yards from scrimmage since 2007. He is the second-most productive running back in Bears history behind only Hall of Famer Walter Payton.

"Like I said, am I hopeful that something will happen?" Forte said. "Um, there's nothing really to hope for because obviously I haven't been approached or anything. But do I want to come back? Yes. That would be ideal for me, but that doesn't always happen in this business."

Sounds like Forte believes he is out

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently you're supposed to read the tribune article cause ESPN has some secret conspiracy to only tell you some of the story.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Apparently you're supposed to read the tribune article cause ESPN has some secret conspiracy to only tell you some of the story.

espn would never take things out of context for a story

:walter:

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
that's why you don't gather all your info from just one source....

I didn't. It's not like I was making a case for anything other than Forte was not looking for a big contract. My opinion of Pace extending him early was just my opinion. It had nothing to do with an article trying to skew my opinion.

This should probably be merged btw.

URBLOCK!!! DO YOUR FREAKING JOB YOU BUM!!

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
nah..we need the langford era to get going..feed that young lion the ball

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah cause you don't need two good backs when you run the ball 40 times

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Resign as a Bear?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:

They can both be fed and you know this.

Forte + Langford equals Success.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Forte won't be re-signed.

He will be remembered as a great Bear.

He will be slighted, because that is what everyone is when they are turned away. This is not unique to the Bears every team says goodbye to old guys, they get upset, a couple years later every is cool and they come back and are honoured.

People act like what happened to Urlacher was unique.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
I guaran fucking T you that if Forte re-signs elsewhere he blows up, and goes for 1500+ all purpose yards. Bill in NE would make him a superstar once again. Give home some real coaches.

*Big Forte Homer posting above.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Drugs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

If Matt Forte goes for 1500 all purpose yards and Jeremy Langford goes for 1100 the Bears are still better off going with Langford.

Matt isn't going to be 10x better than Langford, despite probably being paid that way.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
If Forte doesn't have a problem sharing carries for the next 2 years I think that they should sign him.

Langford is the back of the future IMO, but Fox does like to have a vet in the backfield.