Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not at all rarer than I'd expect but this seems like more plyers than usual fit that profile simply due to how well the top of this class is regarded. This class likely has 8 QBs taken in the 1st 2 days. Can you imagine this board if the Bear don't take a QB somewhere in this draft.

Have 8 in 3 rounds ever happened before?

Last edited:

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Not at all rarer than I'd expect but this seems like more than usual fit that profile simply due to how well the top of this class is regarded. This class likely has 8 QBs taken in the 1st 2 days. Can you imagine this board if the Bear don't take a QB somewhere in this draft.

Yup. A bunch of thirsty motherfuckers all acting desperate, like there's never going to be another QB! Ah, the sky is falling. Please. I just can't. Take the best dude available, see what happens in June with Seattle so we can do that dance again, and roll with some big dude with a big arm or an athletic guy that can run an option play on short yardage like NO did.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not at all rarer than I'd expect but this seems like more than usual fit that profile simply due to how well the top of this class is regarded. This class likely has 8 QBs taken in the 1st 2 days. Can you imagine this board if the Bear don't take a QB somewhere in this draft.

Have 8 in 3 rounds ever happened before?
I'm not sure but man... what God awful timing by this franchise to try hard, beating garbage teams to save face despite being completely dedicated to your GM and coaching staff regardless of outcome. This was the year to suck.

I'm so tired of being right about this team.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure but man... what God awful timing by this franchise to try hard, beating garbage teams to save face despite being completely dedicated to your GM and coaching staff regardless of outcome. This was the year to suck.

I'm so tired of being right about this team.
Problem is that we did and likely get jack for it.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yup. A bunch of thirsty motherfuckers all acting desperate, like there's never going to be another QB! Ah, the sky is falling. Please. I just can't. Take the best dude available, see what happens in June with Seattle so we can do that dance again, and roll with some big dude with a big arm or an athletic guy that can run an option play on short yardage like NO did.

Go read the board when Pace passed on Connor Cook and his sub-.60 completion percentage

baredown

Liked Posts:
Go read the board when Pace passed on Connor Cook and his sub-.60 completion percentage
Is that the same Connor Cook that Jerry Jones tried to trade up for at the top of the 4th round in 2016 after failing to move up to get Paxton Lynch in the 1st round, and finally settling for Dak late in the 4th round? QBs in the top 10 are a bit of a crap-shoot. QBs outside of the top 10 are complete crap-shoots. Anyone losing their mind about the Bears not drafting a QB in rounds 1-3 probably didn't have a whole lot of mind to lose...

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Trouble with that for the Bears is Pace/Nagy are desperate. They will take a shot at a QB with one of their top two picks.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Trouble with that for the Bears is Pace/Nagy are desperate. They will take a shot at a QB with one of their top two picks.

The problem isn't taking a QB so much as the one they'll take. I was listening to Hoge and Jahns yesterday and one of them was arguing why the Bears might take Mond 20th overall. I was like, are you kidding me? And I like Mond! I am one of the first Mond guys on this board back when everybody was dancing Trask's nuts. People were all over drafting him first, and then the hype baton got passed to Mills, but either way, the first?!? And he was saying to do it without a trade back because if the Bears had him evaluated as 20th, somebody else might, so they might jump up and grab Mond.

He wove a scenario where Pittsburgh calls the Bears and offers a second to trade back, but won't say for who when Mond and Mills are on the board. He goes on to say that Pace'd probably pull the trigger there -- in the first! Come on now!

The only way I see grabbing Mond or Mills or any of that other second tier is to trade back, pick up Cosmi or Elijah Moore and then use the extra 3rd and 52nd overal to trade back into 32 to get the QB on a potential 5th year option. I wouldn't be too pissed if that were to happen, but it's still too rich for my blood.

I'd rather just grab a dude like Newman in the 3d and Ehlinger in the 6th. Pick up top dudes along the way, but it's the NFL and, like you say, the Bears are desperate.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

I saw this today. I figured it really highlighted the bullshit of taking a QB too early.

Round 1, No. 20
QB Davis Mills, Stanford

The reach is on. PFF gave my pick a grade of D-minus. I made a hand gesture at them. This is the point of the mock.

I rewatched some game film on Mills over the weekend and saw his pro day workout in the rain when it was replayed on NFL Network. The way he stood up to the elements was commendable. The arm strength was not as bad as feared, but still not close to Kellen Mond or four of the first five quarterbacks. But he had a very wide assortment of throws and touch, good accuracy and his mobility is actually far better than the picture painted by some reports. Still, he's no first-round pick.

And the draft only gets worse!

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Actually Davis has good arm strength. He doesn’t have experience, can read defenses, or anticipate where to throw the ball to get receiver.
He needs experience like Lance. Lance has all physical skills but you have to sit him down and make him learn. Same with Mills but I want an impact starter like Oline in 1st.
Rather draft Mills in 2nd than Lance in 1st.