ESPN: Nagy and Pace Likely Safe

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Saving jobs in Chicago?
The Bears are 5-1, somehow, and a run to the playoffs could spare not only coach Matt Nagy but also GM Ryan Pace, in spite of the disastrous outcome of the Mitchell Trubisky pick. Most people with whom we've talked think the Nagy/Pace pairing gets another year at least, which means another shot to try to solve the quarterback situation there.

The way the Bears are playing, they aren't going to have a very high pick with which to do it.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saving jobs in Chicago?
The Bears are 5-1, somehow, and a run to the playoffs could spare not only coach Matt Nagy but also GM Ryan Pace, in spite of the disastrous outcome of the Mitchell Trubisky pick. Most people with whom we've talked think the Nagy/Pace pairing gets another year at least, which means another shot to try to solve the quarterback situation there.

The way the Bears are playing, they aren't going to have a very high pick with which to do it.

Yup. Figured. Bears still get to play 5 weak teams out of the remaining 10 games, so a 10 win season and probably a play off game will get you that, regardless of how ugly this has been or is going to be. Shoot, they eke out a win or two against 5 of the stronger teams, like say a split with GB, Bears might actually win the division. <shrugs> How do you fire a HC and a GM who get you back into the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years? Regardless of how ugly.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They would have had to been a disaster this season for the McCaskeys to eat those contracts after losing a ton of revenue playing to an empty Solider Field.

I don't like Pace, but have not completely given up on Nagy yet.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's 39-47 as a GM, and 25-13 over the last 38 games. As many have said, 2020 would have to be a disaster for him/Nagy to be fired.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Hard to see at this point how this QB situation gets fixed

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Winning Cures All

Ryan Pace, 2020 executive of the year
Matt Nagy, 2020 nfc comeback coach of the year

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Nagy gave up playcalling I'd love him, 8f Pace didn't draft Mitch, I'd tolerate him. That being said we are 5-1

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Obviously, I am done with Pace. His work on offense is bordering on unprofessional. This is 2020 and he has remade the 2006 Bears with a worse offense and more expensive QB cluster F.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
This team is not going to win the Superbowl. This year or next.

in a best of 3 sure. beauty of football is it's one and done. foles is proven, guys like Lamar Jackson is career 50pct pass completion in the playoffs, regular season he close to 65pct. some guys disappear when the brighter lights come on.

It's a sign....

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I know I am in the minority here but I would fire Nagy and keep Pace. Pace has shown he can build a championship defense.

I don't think Nagy has shown us anything.

Fire Nagy and hire the best QB developer possible as new HC. Let him hand pick and develop a QB.

A GM who puts together championship defenses with more than one DC has proven his worth in the league. Yes he blew the QB pick big time. But I can't see firing a GM who can get you to the playoffs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know I am in the minority here but I would fire Nagy and keep Pace. Pace has shown he can build a championship defense.

I don't think Nagy has shown us anything.

Fire Nagy and hire the best QB developer possible as new HC. Let him hand pick and develop a QB.

A GM who puts together championship defenses with more than one DC has proven his worth in the league. Yes he blew the QB pick big time. But I can't see firing a GM who can get you to the playoffs.

Someone call 1989

bareness

Liked Posts:
Obviously, I am done with Pace. His work on offense is bordering on unprofessional. This is 2020 and he has remade the 2006 Bears with a worse offense and more expensive QB cluster F.
This is more of a question for you Windy, in the past offseason what would you have done differently to the offense while keeping the defensive additions the same?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Yup. Figured. Bears still get to play 5 weak teams out of the remaining 10 games, so a 10 win season and probably a play off game will get you that, regardless of how ugly this has been or is going to be. Shoot, they eke out a win or two against 5 of the stronger teams, like say a split with GB, Bears might actually win the division. <shrugs> How do you fire a HC and a GM who get you back into the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years? Regardless of how ugly.
The first 12 games, so long as you don't lose a whole lot, mean almost nothing. If anyone has watched the NFL the last 10 years, you'd know that it's all about who catches fire going into the playoffs.

The Bears have almost assured themselves a playoff spot already so long as the wheels don't fall off. Now it's just about finding a rhythm later in the season and playing your best ball going into the playoffs. If Nick Foles could take the Eagles to the superbowl and outduel Tom Brady then anything can happen. Chances are it won't for us but i'd rather take an optimistic view rather than pronounce the team dead already.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Honestly foles is really growing on me. If the bears had a pro bowl center and a legit LT we could possibly be looking at actually winning a playoff game or more.