ESPN: Nagy and Pace Likely Safe

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What better than mediocre QB could they have gotten last year? What move at Oline was available that you would have made?

Mediocre QB was all but guaranteed when he missed on Mitch.

Free Agents

Jack Conklin
Graham Glasgow

All 3rd and 4th round OLmen who are starting and playing well.

Damien Lewis
Jonah Jackson
Lloyd Cushenberry
Solomon Kindley
Tyre Phillips
Kevin Dotson

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Would everyone be happier if we were 5-1 with a great offense and a bad defense? Do you have to win with style?

A GM builds a top 5 unit and people want to run him out of town. And we are leading the NFC north. Fucking unbelievable.

Hang the banner.

I would like some semblance of balance. You are not doing anything in the playoffs with a garbage offense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am the opposite, Pace has done more good as a GM than anyone since Jerry Vainisi or a very brief period of the Jerry Angelo era, not that that is any huge feat.

Nagy, however, just repeats the same mistakes over and over, play calling, cutesy trick plays, clock management, and struggles in player (un)development, play disipline, fundamentals.

How many times have we heard about the need to clean things up the last 2 1/2 seasons? His side of the ball has been a complete disaster.

This is all fair as well.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I know I am in the minority here but I would fire Nagy and keep Pace. Pace has shown he can build a championship defense.

I don't think Nagy has shown us anything.

Fire Nagy and hire the best QB developer possible as new HC. Let him hand pick and develop a QB.

A GM who puts together championship defenses with more than one DC has proven his worth in the league. Yes he blew the QB pick big time. But I can't see firing a GM who can get you to the playoffs.

Whoa, fire Nagy? I honestly thought NO ONE here was thta far gone against Nagy.

I am no Nagy fan at all but I am NOT on THAT bandwagon.

I want to him to either

1) adjust without panicking in playcalls and get WAY better at coaching fundamentals on offense so that we have a shot at beating defenses even when they are more talented

or

2) hand off play calling and go full-on super motivator.

I want improvement on offense across the board and that is supposed to be his SPECIALTY

but firing him is way premature.

Bolek

Liked Posts:
I think the funniest part of it is that half the chicago meatballs would fire a GM and Head Coach of a 5-1 team. May god have mercy on your meatball souls and empty brains, nancies

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Is winning what matters? Cause Pace and Nagy together are 25-14 together with a bust of a QB for all but 3 of those games. The one playoff loss, that bust of a QB put us in position to convert a relatively easy NFL kick to win but he doinked it and was subsequently replaced because of it. Understood the bust of a QB was Pace's pick and a couple other first rounders didn't turn out either which makes that record even more impressive, IMO.

Both Pace and Nagy are in their first GM/Head coaching gigs respectively. Considering their record together even with issues in talent and coaching is as good as it is, it could be a mistake to let one (or both) go rather than possibly let them learn from their mistakes.

There's a lot of double-speak. Pace has been abysmal getting talent on offense but it's Nagy's fault that the offense hasn't performed? Mitch has been a straight bust and Nick Foles isn't good but it's Nagy's fault that the offense can't get anything going? There truth is somewhere in the middle here.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Is winning what matters? Cause Pace and Nagy together are 25-14 together with a bust of a QB for all but 3 of those games. The one playoff loss, that bust of a QB put us in position to convert a relatively easy NFL kick to win but he doinked it and was subsequently replaced because of it. Understood the bust of a QB was Pace's pick and a couple other first rounders didn't turn out either which makes that record even more impressive, IMO.

Both Pace and Nagy are in their first GM/Head coaching gigs respectively. Considering their record together even with issues in talent and coaching is as good as it is, it could be a mistake to let one (or both) go rather than possibly let them learn from their mistakes.

There's a lot of double-speak. Pace has been abysmal getting talent on offense but it's Nagy's fault that the offense hasn't performed? Mitch has been a straight bust and Nick Foles isn't good but it's Nagy's fault that the offense can't get anything going? There truth is somewhere in the middle here.

Winning ultimately matters way more than the other factors. But you can't just throw out the John Fox years like they didn't happen. This is Pace's 6th year and he has 0 playoff wins. I'm not big on firing people quickly, because continuity is important for stability. But it's due time for some results. And Pace is probably safe more due to Nagy at this point (this should be a playoff season) than the other way around.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mediocre QB was all but guaranteed when he missed on Mitch.

Free Agents

Jack Conklin
Graham Glasgow

All 3rd and 4th round OLmen who are starting and playing well.

Damien Lewis
Jonah Jackson
Lloyd Cushenberry
Solomon Kindley
Tyre Phillips
Kevin Dotson

Exactly..... so I don't know why you continue to bitch about it. Mitch is done and we're back to mediocre QB's. Can't do anything about that until the draft falls right for us. May be years.

I think both of those free agents were too expensive given the route they took. Would have liked a draft pick. Can't argue there.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Exactly..... so I don't know why you continue to bitch about it. Mitch is done and we're back to mediocre QB's. Can't do anything about that until the draft falls right for us. May be years.

I think both of those free agents were too expensive given the route they took. Would have liked a draft pick. Can't argue there.

The draft not falling right isn't a valid excuse not to get a QB, especially when you have the history the Bears do at QB. The Texans didn't wait for the draft to fall right. They got aggressive and moved up for Watson. The Ravens didn't. They went up and got Jackson. The Chiefs had Alex Smith and a 12-win team and still went up and got Mahomes. The Bears will be in a similar situation to those teams this offseason. Playoff team in need of a QB. Waiting for years until you are bad and there's a strong QB class is how you end up with Trubisky, or Grossman, or McNown.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Two things can be true at the same time.

But no double talk: Ryan Pace has done a pathetic job of assembling offensive talent.

“With a bust of a QB”... who drafted that bust?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Both those free agents make less than Robert Quinn.

I am not bitching about the QB, I am bitching about knowing your QB is mediocre and doing nothing on your OL.

If you can’t fix one, fix the other.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Both those free agents make less than Robert Quinn.

I am not bitching about the QB, I am bitching about knowing your QB is mediocre and doing nothing on your OL.

If you can’t fix one, fix the other.
This is a fair point. Missing on Mitch sucks, but it happens. Recognize it and address the OL to make it at least serviceable until you get another QB. Extending Leno and Massie were unforgivable mistakes IMO. I was on the sign Conklin and draft Solomon Kindley train.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Building a championship defense is no small feat but it’s much easier than building a championship caliber offense.

Offense HAS to have an upper echelon qb to even start the discussion and I just don’t trust Pace To make that decision again.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
Nagy and Pace "likely" safe.

This is hilarious. We are 5-1. We will have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years.

Now, I'm not surprised to see this writing on ESPN. I am, however, surprised to see this even considered by reputable posters on this site.

Nobody is going anywhere. Enjoy the ride.

Also, PSA, there's plenty of time to complain in the off-season. Maybe this offense will continue to suck, but Foles has now had the equivalent of like half an off-season actually playing with his teammates. There's only potential for it to improve on offense and out D is trending the right direction.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
What’s absolutely bonkers is that the Seahawks have never really had a dominant o line. They could run block however.

They also have a very very good coach, even if he hasn’t installed a ‘next generation’ type offense. Until this year it’s just been hey let’s run the ball.

If pace can do what needs to be done and fix the o line then the bears may start looking like a dominant team. They never need to have a top 15 offense. The question is more about what will it take for them to move from bottom of the pack to middle of the road.
They also have one of the most efficient qbs in nfl history. C'mon.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
The draft not falling right isn't a valid excuse not to get a QB, especially when you have the history the Bears do at QB. The Texans didn't wait for the draft to fall right. They got aggressive and moved up for Watson. The Ravens didn't. They went up and got Jackson. The Chiefs had Alex Smith and a 12-win team and still went up and got Mahomes. The Bears will be in a similar situation to those teams this offseason. Playoff team in need of a QB. Waiting for years until you are bad and there's a strong QB class is how you end up with Trubisky, or Grossman, or McNown.

Are you really suggesting we put another QB behind a terrible LT? Have we learned nothing from the last 20 years?