Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I hope that's the writer embellishing to make an offseason article and Olsen isn't that touchy. If Olsen is that touchy that's a good reason to not get him. If it's his personality it could be the reason he was let go with the lame excuses we heard in spite of having talent.
What? He has been nothing less than a great teammate and great citizen his entire career. It had been well established that Martz had little use for pass catching TE's.
Olsen, along with Kittle, is now helping young league TE's and guys are beating down the door to attend their TE U.

The guy was lied to about the Bears not having enough money for him. He doesn't like being lied to. Pretty simple, and NBD. Nagy just needed to be a man up and grow a pair of testicles like the one sprouting from his visor and say we are looking at several TE's we will be in touch if we are interested.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Olsens game fell off a Cliff a few years ago.. the fact is he should have never been traded to begin with

For me, the annoying thing about Olsen's play was him letting 5'10" 180lb CB's bring him down. Never-mind Olsen was
6'5" and 250lbs + ??

Hell Mike Ditka was only 6-3, 228lb, if ya look at some of his old films, he was breaking tackles and swatting players bigger than him outta the way on the regular. IDK if Olsen should've been traded or not. I just expected more dominance out of him as a TE with his size.

As for the article, Idk why the Bears wasted Olsen's time.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
For me, the annoying thing about Olsen's play was him letting 5'10" 180lb CB's bring him down. Never-mind Olsen was
6'5" and 250lbs + ??

Hell Mike Ditka was only 6-3, 228lb, if ya look at some of his old films, he was breaking tackles and swatting players bigger than him outta the way on the regular. IDK if Olsen should've been traded or not. I just expected more dominance out of him as a TE with his size.

Olsen was never known for his toughness. And it's a typical Bears move to waste his time

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, one problem is that if you tell a guy you don't have the money to sign him and then sign another guy for more, that looks pretty fuckin bad on your part. Just be honest and say you liked Graham more.
Olsen was released on Feb 3 and he signed with the Seahawks Feb 18. So any convo had to have taken place between those dates. So it is entirely possible, they did not wish to spend that kind of money before FA was even underway. For all we know if Olsen was available at the start of FA, they would have elected to sign him for a bit cheaper than Graham. However, he signed almost a month before FA so really don't think his gripe makes much sense.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
6'5" and 250lbs + ??

And this why its stupid to try to compare generations across sports. You get people like you that seemingly forget Ditka sized TEs weren't the norm nor were they known for catching passes much at all either.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
And this why its stupid to try to compare generations across sports. You get people like you that seemingly forget Ditka sized TEs weren't the norm nor were they known for catching passes much at all either.
Would you expect anything less from ol shitty runs?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
What? He has been nothing less than a great teammate and great citizen his entire career. It had been well established that Martz had little use for pass catching TE's.
Olsen, along with Kittle, is now helping young league TE's and guys are beating down the door to attend their TE U.

The guy was lied to about the Bears not having enough money for him. He doesn't like being lied to. Pretty simple, and NBD. Nagy just needed to be a man up and grow a pair of testicles like the one sprouting from his visor and say we are looking at several TE's we will be in touch if we are interested.

What do you mean "what"? Nothing I said had anything to do with his being a great teammate or a great citizen or helping other players. Save that feel good shit for the Hallmark Channel.

If he is so sensitive that he takes offense at a buisiness not being honest about why they don't want him perhaps that sensitivity bleeds over to the locker room where he takes offense at everything and it drives division. You can say NBD but the reporter is making it sound like a big deal aren't they?
Sure the Bears could've been honest, but they weren't. That's business. Like you said, NBD.

Martz having little use for any player who wasn't in his "greatest show" was the problem. It's the problem many once were and never are again coaches have. He had a great TE, he gave the talent away instead of adjusting the plan to use the talent. I strongly suspect Nagy also has this problem, except he's never been.

mecha

Liked Posts:
6'5" and 250lbs + ??

Olsen was pretty weak. so was Forte. they crumbled to the ground like they were playing turtle tag or something. rofl

to your point, Ditka comparatively fucked people up.

anyone that were proponents for the Bears signing Olsen were doing so purely out of emotion. which is bad business. I also don't understand why Graham gets shit on so much. he did his job. a TE isn't going to score like 17 touchdowns people, his production was fine. he was better than the 7 mooks that followed Olsen and predated him.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I’m not concerned about the bears not signing Olsen but are you guys seriously going to say that the graham signing was a good signing???????

what type of delusional nonsense is going on in this thread???

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
What exactly is the problem? I like Olsen, he's missed 23 games the last four years. I'm sure they were considering signing him, and then went a different direction.

That's how I read it too. Nostalgia would have been great but the Bears actually used their brains here.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not concerned about the bears not signing Olsen but are you guys seriously going to say that the graham signing was a good signing???????

what type of delusional nonsense is going on in this thread???
I mean, who did they miss out on cause Graham? Was there a better alternative at TE?

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Who was gone the following season. When the made the trade I knew Martz was already getting fired after the season anyway. Some dumb fucking people at Halas Hall over the years.

Except he didn't get fired, so you were wrong.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Players use teams against each other all the time. Get over it.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
6'5" and 250lbs + ??

the shit about Olsen going down too easy was always true

but fucking bears fans were Special person with how they let that weakness overshadow his whole game

dude was still the best, most consistent receiver on a team with almost no other options besides Forte (the fucking running back)

was annoying as fuck how fans shit on him like he was terrible

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Players use teams against each other all the time. Get over it.

it wasn't even that

there was like a month of time between talking to Olsen and signing Graham, wasn't there?

either way, Olsen was just responding to a question. don't think he was actually butthurt, just got excited to come back to chi for a min is all

this whole thing is a big fat nothingburger

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
it wasn't even that

there was like a month of time between talking to Olsen and signing Graham, wasn't there?
so....The Bears didn't want to sign Olsen. They sign Graham the first day of Free Agency
They liked Graham for at the money they paid Graham than what Olsen wanted for the Bears.