Expectations for Justin Fields vs other good rookies.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Justin Fields starts week one in Matt Nagy's well oiled machine, what kinda passing numbers do you expect?

Seeing how we used a 1st round pick on Fields and traded the 2022 1st round pick, the expectations are immediately high. You don't make that trade for a guy that ends up like Sam Darnold. That trade was made because the Bears feel he's got top QB potential - not just a franchise guy - but something special like the men below.

I went to the trouble of adjusting some of the NFL's top young QBs as if they played 16 games...and here are the numbers. I used Lamar Jackson's second year because everyone knew he was a super rough prospect his rookie year. I understand if ppl think that he shouldn't be on the list - that's fine.

Looking at these guys: Isn't 3,800 yards and 30 TDs reasonable for Justin Fields in Nagy's 4th year of coaching? Considering the extra 1st round pick we gave up?

Patrick Mahomes - 5,097 yards, 50 TDs, 12 INTS (16 starts)
Justin Herbert - 4,336 yards, 31 TDs, 10 INTs (16 starts)
Baker Mayfield - 4,257 yards, 30 TDs, 16 INTs (Adjusted for 16 games)
Deshaun Watson - 3,883 yards, 43 TDs, 18 INTs (Adjusted for 16 games)
Kyler Murray - 3,722 yards, 20 TDs, 12 INTs (16 starts)
Joe Burrow - 4,300 yards, 21 TDs, 8 INTs (Adjusted for 16 games)
Lamar Jackson - 3,335 yards, 38 TDs, 6 INTs (2nd year, adjusted for 16 games.)

*maybe I'll add in everyone's rushing stats if this thread has interest.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy won’t start Fields because he has to make himself look smart.
Well, this is hypothetical - if he does start.

Posters could just pretend I'm asking what kinda numbers we should see after he gets 16 starts.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I expect him to have

4132 yards passing
33 tds
11 ints

adjusted for a 16 game schedule

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If Justin Fields starts week one in Matt Nagy's well oiled machine, what kinda passing numbers do you expect?

Seeing how we used a 1st round pick on Fields and traded the 2022 1st round pick, the expectations are immediately high. You don't make that trade for a guy that ends up like Sam Darnold. That trade was made because the Bears feel he's got top QB potential - not just a franchise guy - but something special like the men below.

I went to the trouble of adjusting some of the NFL's top young QBs as if they played 16 games...and here are the numbers. I used Lamar Jackson's second year because everyone knew he was a super rough prospect his rookie year. I understand if ppl think that he shouldn't be on the list - that's fine.

Looking at these guys: Isn't 3,800 yards and 30 TDs reasonable for Justin Fields in Nagy's 4th year of coaching? Considering the extra 1st round pick we gave up?

I wished you would stop complain about extra draft picks. It doesn’t make him better or worse because of where he was drafted, how he was drafted. He is the same Justin Fields if we drafted him straight up, in the 2nd rd, or traded the whole draft for him. The expectations are high because of how he played in college and because we haven’t had a quarterback since who knows when, not where he was drafted or how many draft picks we used to get him. My GOD.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wouldn’t you just extrapolate it like you did for the other guys lol.
Sure...he's gotta play first tho.

And once he does start...he'll probably play enough consecutive games to do just that.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Factoring in Nagy fuckery, starting 10 games, I would say 2700yrds 20 TD's , 5 INT's, 7 TD receptions, 4 TD Kick returns , and 2 pick 6 returns playing slot CB.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Factoring in Nagy fuckery, starting 10 games, I would say 2700yrds 20 TD's 5 INT's 7 TD receptions, 4 TD Kick returns , and 2 pick 6 returns.
My God, someone answered with some numbers. It's a minor miracle on CCS.

Thank you, however sarcastic it is... ?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Mahomes was in his 2nd year as well

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Rating in the low-ish 90's but great number on the ground as well.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mahomes was in his 2nd year as well
Yes, but most of the other guys started year one and hit the ground running.

Recent history shows if you're going to be good, it's immediately obvious (outside of Josh Allen). There's five examples of guys who did just that.

Then there's the others who seem like decent starters but not special, and there were signs that'd be the case: Goff, Wentz, Darnold, Trubisky, etc

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes, but most of the other guys started year one and hit the ground running.

Recent history shows if you're going to be good, it's immediately obvious (outside of Josh Allen). There's five examples of guys who did just that.

Then there's the others who seem like decent starters but not special, and there were signs that'd be the case: Goff, Wentz, Darnold, Trubisky, etc
Goff and Wentz both had good 2nd and 3rd years

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
"Nagy's well oiled machine"
Roller Chain High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sam Darnold might very well be the perfect example of how to screw up a rookie QB.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

Canth

Liked Posts:

IF Justin Fields were start week 1 and play all 17 games, then yes I think 3800 yards and ~30 TD's (combined passing and rushing) is reasonable.

Musashiblade

Liked Posts:
He will do better than mitch trubisky second year of starting I'll say that. Both have the same coach so you can make the comparisons better. the other QBs have different offense, coaching and situations.