Expectations for Justin Fields vs other good rookies.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Or was it really Andy Reid

Well we could ask Mahomes.

Or hear from the horses mouth the same sort of shit Nagy says.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well we could ask Mahomes.

Or hear from the horses mouth the same sort of shit Nagy says.

How Mahomes took line out of Nagy's book to pump up Chiefs

"Is Patrick Mahomes secretly learning how to lead from Matt Nagy? Almost certainly not,"

I'm sure most here will agree......So far Nagy hasn't proven to be "Qb whisper" with the Bears. I'm not ready to call Mitch a "mental midge". There was enuff there to develop Mitch beyond where things ended up. I just don't see a Nagy effect. My point is Reid had the ultimate effect on Mahomes. And I would not expect Mahomes to make disparaging remarks about Nagy.
-------------

what makes you think he can't develop #11 pick Fields?
IMO.....the Fields situation will be like R. Wilson and Brady. Which means.... Fields bringing that desire to improve and be the best will supersede anything Nagy does.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Justin Fields became a lvl 99 overall maxed in madden when I played out his career in sim mode.

What more proof do you need?

Just curious.....where did Trask end up in Madden sim mode ?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

How Mahomes took line out of Nagy's book to pump up Chiefs

"Is Patrick Mahomes secretly learning how to lead from Matt Nagy? Almost certainly not,"

I'm sure most here will agree......So far Nagy hasn't proven to be "Qb whisper" with the Bears. I'm not ready to call Mitch a "mental midge". There was enuff there to develop Mitch beyond where things ended up. I just don't see a Nagy effect. My point is Reid had the ultimate effect on Mahomes. And I would not expect Mahomes to make disparaging remarks about Nagy.
-------------

what makes you think he can't develop #11 pick Fields?
IMO.....the Fields situation will be like R. Wilson and Brady. Which means.... Fields bringing that desire to improve and be the best will supersede anything Nagy does.

You are changing the subject. You question was if it was Andy Reid. I provided you the evidence that there is some Nagy in Mahomes as illustrated by Mahomes saying so and Mahomes even using Nagy's catch phrases.

There is no coach that has ever been 100% successful in coaching up everyone they come across. The fact Nagy failed with Trubisky does not change the fact that per Mahomes, he succeeded in helping him.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You are changing the subject. You question was if it was Andy Reid. I provided you the evidence that there is some Nagy in Mahomes as illustrated by Mahomes saying so and Mahomes even using Nagy's catch phrases.

There is no coach that has ever been 100% successful in coaching up everyone they come across. The fact Nagy failed with Trubisky does not change the fact that per Mahomes, he succeeded in helping him.

Right and I still believe Reid had more impact than Nagy (that's where I was going). From what I've seen ,( not justTrubisky), Nagy hasn't had an impact on any of the Bear Qb's since he's been here. I don't have or see any translated results here from Nagy.

So when it comes to your what makes you think he can't develop #11 pick Fields? question.......thus far Nagy hasn't proven he can develop a Qb. Sure, I'd hope he can help Fields. However, I think Fields can supersede anything Nagy lacks as a HC. If I'm right about Fields, we'll be in good shape regardless of Nagy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Right and I still believe Reid had more impact than Nagy (that's where I was going). From what I've seen ,( not justTrubisky), Nagy hasn't had an impact on any of the Bear Qb's since he's been here. I don't have or see any translated results here from Nagy.

So when it comes to your what makes you think he can't develop #11 pick Fields? question.......thus far Nagy hasn't proven he can develop a Qb. Sure, I'd hope he can help Fields. However, I think Fields can supersede anything Nagy lacks as a HC. If I'm right about Fields, we'll be in good shape regardless of Nagy.

Well he has proven he can develop a QB per Patrick Mahomes. I will take the word of someone he actually mentored over someone who has actually never seen him personally coach anyone.

It is entirely possible he fails to develop Fields. I am just saying you can't pretend Patrick Mahomes does not exist simply because he does not fit your narrative. He was part of his development whether you chose to believe it or not.

Canth

Liked Posts:
What other Bears qb has Nagy really had a chance to develop besides Trubisky? None of the other guys had any talent to develop or had been backups in the league for years before coming to the Bears. Foles was an 8 year veteran and former Superbowl MVP prior to coming last year. He should have just required learning this version of the offense, not extensive development. The complete lack of an offseason and no preseason certainly did not help that.

I think Nagy has actually made a lot of adaptations to his offense and has a knack for play design. IMO, where he has tripped up has been more in the flow of the game stuff. Too many personnel changes between plays, potentially too long getting plays into the qb to call in the huddle. That is the stuff where unless you are a part of the team, you'll likely never know if an issue like that is the play caller taking too long or if its the qb taking too long to command the huddle and get lined up.

The other big issue and one already talked about a lot is the offensive line. Can the line give the qb enough time to execute the offense? Can they get a consistent running game going for an entire season? It would certainly make life a lot easier on the new qbs, either Dalton or Fields, if they have a pocket to throw from and if it doesn't feel like a wasted down to try to run the ball.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What other Bears qb has Nagy really had a chance to develop besides Trubisky? None of the other guys had any talent to develop or had been backups in the league for years before coming to the Bears. Foles was an 8 year veteran and former Superbowl MVP prior to coming last year. He should have just required learning this version of the offense, not extensive development. The complete lack of an offseason and no preseason certainly did not help that.

I think Nagy has actually made a lot of adaptations to his offense and has a knack for play design. IMO, where he has tripped up has been more in the flow of the game stuff. Too many personnel changes between plays, potentially too long getting plays into the qb to call in the huddle. That is the stuff where unless you are a part of the team, you'll likely never know if an issue like that is the play caller taking too long or if its the qb taking too long to command the huddle and get lined up.

The other big issue and one already talked about a lot is the offensive line. Can the line give the qb enough time to execute the offense? Can they get a consistent running game going for an entire season? It would certainly make life a lot easier on the new qbs, either Dalton or Fields, if they have a pocket to throw from and if it doesn't feel like a wasted down to try to run the ball.
Nagy’s play calls have no rhythm. It seems likes his calls have no rhyme or reason but I’m starting to think his “be you” mentality and stubbornness is the real issue.

For example in the few times the O did have the opposing D on their heels he’d stop doing what was working and switch up personnel because “we had a play we really liked for that situation.” It’s frustrating as hell as a fan to watch.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Nobody would have been successful in coaching up Mitch as he honestly wasn’t ready for the nfl when he left college. Mitch couldn’t do simple things like read a rpo or fox’s semipro offense so how could Nagy get the best out of him?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nobody would have been successful in coaching up Mitch as he honestly wasn’t ready for the nfl when he left college. Mitch couldn’t do simple things like read a rpo or fox’s semipro offense so how could Nagy get the best out of him?
This and it wasn't just a timing thing. He'll never be ready unless he can stop turtling and get the confidence to be aggressive. He'll still fuck up but at least an O could be functional that way. Thank God Nagy felt the same way. I was genuinely concerned that Pace might resign him for another year.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
This and it wasn't just a timing thing. He'll never be ready unless he can stop turtling and get the confidence to be aggressive. He'll still fuck up but at least an O could be functional that way. Thank God Nagy felt the same way. I was genuinely concerned that Pace might resign him for another year.
I don’t think it was even a confidence issue. He just doesn’t have the intelligence or skills to make it in the nfl

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don’t think it was even a confidence issue. He just doesn’t have the intelligence or skills to make it in the nfl
He has the athleticism and arm. Can't read well but he wouldn't be the only one. You could 1/2 field the O and if he became aggressive with his legs and arm could run a functional O. Wouldn't be anyone's 1st choice but he could be a mid pack QB. Try to remember his elusiveness in 2018 and how he threw the ball ball more accurately this year. He has the tools. Bad brane and if he was more aggressive, you could coach around that.

I'm happy he's gone and don't blame Nagy for not running that more since the aggressive quotient would not have been corrected anyway. He really needed the situation he's in now. Probably won't ever become a long term starter but hopefully he'll mature. Hated his play but it was hard to hate the guy.

Bust

Liked Posts:

Expectations for Justin Fields vs other good rookies.​

Start and beat Packers. Got to beat division champions. Bulls had to overcome Pistons back in the day and Lovie Smith preached from day 1 to beat GB. With or without Rodgers, Packer defenses have embarrassed Bears QBs. Both Cutler and Mitch saved their career worst games for the green and gold.

This rarely happens in pro sports when QB's are disrespected on national tv, lol

Then the twitter disprespect, lol!

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How about both? There is a reason Fox didn’t want to play him even with that JV offensive playbook and Mitch even requested all the TVs is halas hall turned off because he couldn’t handle criticism

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Well he has proven he can develop a QB per Patrick Mahomes. I will take the word of someone he actually mentored over someone who has actually never seen him personally coach anyone.

It is entirely possible he fails to develop Fields. I am just saying you can't pretend Patrick Mahomes does not exist simply because he does not fit your narrative. He was part of his development whether you chose to believe it or not.

My belief is Fields will mentally supersede what ever Nagy lacks.

he succeeded in helping him.

yes "helped". However.......

Using 'catch phrases' doesn't equate to Qb development. When ppl think of Mahomes' Qb development, I respectfully doubt you'll find anyone saying Nagy "developed" him. The Qb development came from Reid ( he has history going back to McNabb).

Bottom line, Nagy thus far, during his Bear tenure hasn't developed a Qb, nor an effective offense that takes advantage of a Qb's skill set. The jury is still out. But ur free to believe what u like about Nagy.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don't have to.

Ppl will see during the season, and have the EXACT same complaints I'm having now...and try to pretend they were there all along.

Happens every year.

When I reiterate it later, they'll say "Well everyone knew that. That wasn't hard to see."

Edit: Also they'll say "no one could have known this guy or that guy would get injured...the season would have been so different otherwise."

R.0360a356d856c2ca6c566cbd662ae150

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Not sure what he does but I hope he’s not a positivity trainer.
He would be excellent at it.

Halftime, "I am positive that this training will be useful to you your whole life, but, of course, you will probably die on the way home from this training seminar today".

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
None of that matters. Mitch kept getting shit on(rightfully so) and it made no difference in him being a bust. Bears fans need to get over this media obsession where they think criticism or hype plays any role in how they develop or progress as players.
Fields wouldn't care what the media would say, and neither would Trubisky (because Trubisky would never know what the media was saying because he would hide from the media).

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
250 a week x 16 = 4,000 yards
2 tds a week x 16 = 32 (passing and rushing)
1 int a week = 16

I could see something like that. Doesn't include rushing yardage.
So Dalton plays game 1 and then is replaced. I like it.