Expectations for Kmet next year?

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
So you are thinking he'll pretty much match his only productive season at ND? He'll essentially match his level of 'domination' while playing against higher caliber defenders and being less of a primary weapon?

IMHO his job is to show he can replace Graham in 2 years. Betting on more than that is being overly optimistic.
While NFL is a higher caliber, there wasn't much at Notre Dame to get attention off of Kmet though, aside from the wideout, Claypool. All I'm saying is that I think the lanes will open up for him due to Graham's ability to not only get most of the attention, but also to block. We also have Robinson and Miller that can require more attention.

Sure, the goal is to replace Graham eventually but at the moment, I see Graham as the main piece that will help in that regard.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
1. He needs to perform as well or outperform all the other TEs in the draft.

2. He needs to get at least half the yards of any WR drafted after him.
Just speaking terms of Kmet: I agree with the first one. It is long past due for Pace's offensive draft picks start proving themselves. I don't want to hear about Pace's offense being run through the TE, development of tight ends, work being put in, practices being great, or positive thoughts. I want production on offense. Plain and simple.

That said, I think it's a bit unfair to compare his numbers to WRs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just speaking terms of Kmet: I agree with the first one. It is long past due for Pace's offensive draft picks start proving themselves. I don't want to hear about Pace's offense being run through the TE, development of tight ends, work being put in, practices being great, or positive thoughts. I want production on offense. Plain and simple.

That said, I think it's a bit unfair to compare his numbers to WRs.

Well not comparing directly. Hence why I said half the yards.

Like if Mims gets 1k yards then surely it is not unfair to say you expect Kmet to get at least 500?

Having said that I get others may have a different view but the point was simply he bypassed OLand WR so I would want some mechanism to compare those returns.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Well not comparing directly. Hence why I said half the yards.

Like if Mims gets 1k yards then surely it is not unfair to say you expect Kmet to get at least 500?

Having said that I get others may have a different view but the point was simply he bypassed OLand WR so I would want some mechanism to compare those returns.
Well it's not unfair to expect Kmet to get at least 500 yards regardless of what any other TE/WR drafted this year posts. I just mean to suggest that on a game to game basis routes that are given to Mims might allow for him to get, as an example, 1100 yards vs Kmet's 500.

Also have zero clue how you could grade out OL vs. a TE.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
So you are thinking he'll pretty much match his only productive season at ND? He'll essentially match his level of 'domination' while playing against higher caliber defenders and being less of a primary weapon?

IMHO his job is to show he can replace Graham in 2 years. Betting on more than that is being overly optimistic.
He gets a few extra games and is matched with a pro QB and isn't the focal point of defenses.

Robinson and Graham draw more attention than he will.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My biggest fear... is that Matt Nagy tries to use him like he did Kelce.

He is not Kelce, he does not move like him, he cannot run those option routes and those double moves.

You need to use him like the Patriots used Gronk. You cannot be cute with him. And I am not saying he is gong to be Gronk, but stylistically he needs to be used like him.

-Freight Train down the seam
-Outs and corners where he can use his big body
-Crossing routes where he gets the ball and a full head of steam

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
Just going to go by what I often see from the better TEs in the league as rookies.

About 400 - 450 yards & 4-5 Tds. Which with similar production from Graham would significantly improve upon last years production totals from the TE position.

I really expect him to take off in year two with 700 - 800 yards & 8-10 TDS on his own.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well it's not unfair to expect Kmet to get at least 500 yards regardless of what any other TE/WR drafted this year posts. I just mean to suggest that on a game to game basis routes that are given to Mims might allow for him to get, as an example, 1100 yards vs Kmet's 500.

Also have zero clue how you could grade out OL vs. a TE.

Yeah but 1100 vs 500 is not to far off my marl of half the yards who wouldnt be too wprried about that. Now lets say Mims got 1,000 and Kmet got 200 then I would day terrible value.

As for OL, my measure was whether a rookie OL like Jones graded out significantly better than say Leno or Massie. If they suck and that sinks our season while Jones looks like a young stud OL then the bar for what Kmet needs to produce to offset that is high. If Jones grades out similar to Leno or Massie then we didnt miss out on talent that could have helped us win this year.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure that the only two TE's in the entire NFL that had over 500 yards receiving their rookie years were Gronk and Kittle. So, it seems pretty unrealistic to think that Kmet should get "at least 500 yards" especially playing the Y position in this offense.

Again, I think it would be great for him to get in that 35 catch, 350 yard area and obviously the more TD's the merrier.

But I think the other aspect that I want to see is that his presence allows the offense to have better efficiency overall, especially in the redzone, by disguising looks and also opening up the run game for more yards and TD's.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah but 1100 vs 500 is not to far off my marl of half the yards who wouldnt be too wprried about that. Now lets say Mims got 1,000 and Kmet got 200 then I would day terrible value.

As for OL, my measure was whether a rookie OL like Jones graded out significantly better than say Leno or Massie. If they suck and that sinks our season while Jones looks like a young stud OL then the bar for what Kmet needs to produce to offset that is high. If Jones grades out similar to Leno or Massie then we didnt miss out on talent that could have helped us win this year.

Don't punish Kmet because he plays with 2 over rated OTs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Goeddert: 33/334/4
Andrews: 34/552/3
Ertz: 36/469/4
Rudolph: 26/249/3
Fant: 40/562/3
Hock: 32/367/2
Irv Smith: 36/311/2
Engram: 64/722/6
Njoku: 32/386/4
Howard: 26/432/6

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
When it comes to Kmet I will be keeping an eye on Josh Jones, KJ Hamler, Denzel Mims, all would have been realistic offensive picks at 43

And all play on different teams in different schemes with better talent and have different schedules. Its not so cut & dry.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I expect Foles and Kmet to outperform Brady and Gronk...

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
As for expectations. Rather than numbers I will go with a relative assessment.

1. He needs to perform as well or outperform all the other TEs in the draft.

2. He needs to get at least half the yards of any WR drafted after him.

3. Our RG, RT, LT need to grade out higher than any OL taken after him.

For me, it is all about how he performs relative to what else was available so I hope to hell Pace drafted him with the expectation that he hit at least 2 out of 3 of the above.
[/QUOTE]

You can’t even answer a simple question..... ?‍♂️

And #2 is especially ridiculous

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hope?
38rec 400yds 7TD’s

Expect:
26rec 245yds 4TD’s

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't punish Kmet because he plays with 2 over rated OTs.

Has nothing to do with punishing Kmet. Has to do with Pace. If he passed on a good OT for Kmet then that has to factor in the evaluation. If the OL performs then his picking Kmet will look better IMO.

You can’t even answer a simple question..... ?‍♂️

And #2 is especially ridiculous

Pretty sure I answered it. You asked for expectations and I gave them. Should I pretend that my expectations are the same as yours so you can feel better about the pick? You are free to have expectations in accordance with your opinion. You aren't free to tell me what I should expect. To each his own.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Has nothing to do with punishing Kmet. Has to do with Pace. If he passed on a good OT for Kmet then that has to factor in the evaluation. If the OL performs then his picking Kmet will look better IMO.

Pretty sure I answered it. You asked for expectations and I gave them. Should I pretend that my expectations are the same as yours so you can feel better about the pick? You are free to have expectations in accordance with your opinion. You aren't free to tell me what I should expect. To each his own.

So how many yards again?