Expectations for Velus Jones Jr. this year?

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I would expect that yardage to be up if he ends up with 70 catches. However, if he plays in the slot his yardage could be lower like you have it, 400 range.
No way a speed guy even the slot averages only 6 yard a reception.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I expect Velus to be the "Dazz Newsome of what Tarik Cohen was supposed to be."

He's not going to make it. Look at his shuttle and 3-cone.

View attachment 20541

So, a 25 year old rookie wide receiver that is short, can't jump, and is slow to make a change of direction/cut.
Straight line speed and nothing else at all.
Yeah, he is going to be something special for sure.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
A player that gets the ball in space with his raw speed.

Seems a player made for a version of the WC offense ...

Not sure what the issue is given who is calling plays.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Looks like Calvin Austin III, Khalil Shakir, Alec Pierce, Christian Watson and Jahan Dotson were biggest names at WR for the Senior Bowl. I assumed those guys like Wilson/Olave were there ?Dotson was the only 1st RD guy. I'll have to make sure I double check a game like that before start throwing out names. I'll edit that section f the podcast tomorrow.

Thanks for calling me out on it! Thanks for listening to the podcast. Hopefully you enjoyed the rest of the it ?
And I myself completely passed over Dotson's name.

My bad.

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
This is going to be a ground and pound year, you'll see.

Old school bears football boyz.

1st down, run
2nd down, run
3rd down . . .

I think he is used mostly as a gadget receiver/rb this year. I would expect 30 rec / 300 yards as appropriate over/under. That's averaging about 2 rec/game and then throw in there some gadget runs.

I hope for more but that's my expectation.

Here is my fear of the reception leader/priorities right now:

#1 - Mooney
#2 - Kmet
#3 - Monty/Herbert
#4 - Pringle/Eq/Velus

It would really be nice to have a WR 2 be next top in receptions but it's hard to see that right now. I hope I'm wrong.
Yeah the running backs will definitely be used more in this offensive scheme. I could see a lot of passes coming their way!

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
30 receptions for 300 yards would mean Velus is like the 4th or 5th option. I'm not exactly crowning him as a starter with those projections.
I wouldn't be surprised if Velus is our 4th or 5th option early on but I could see him be the "end of the year" finishing as our 3rd best WR. Especially if we only have 5-6 wins; that would put probably around 40 catches, 400-500 yards. Hopefully we can get more answers in Training Camp late July on our WRs roles in the offense.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think 30/300/2 might happen. I see more of a spike play here or there—breaks a long one off, or returns a punt/KO. I don't see him being a regular contributor, but just splash plays now and then. I HOPE he's more than that.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
If Getsy’s scheme is legit, Bears have a solid running game, Pringle and Kmet make an impact, I could see VJJ getting around 400-500 yards receiving with 4-6 TDs. I think VJJ can shine his rookie season if those around him step up.

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
If Getsy’s scheme is legit, Bears have a solid running game, Pringle and Kmet make an impact, I could see VJJ getting around 400-500 yards receiving with 4-6 TDs. I think VJJ can shine his rookie season if those around him step up.
Yeah the Scheme will be everything this year. I expect Da Bears to run A LOT this year, especially with addition of FB Blasingame. If the Scheme works, I expect to be competitive this year. May not translate to wins but the offense could be fun to watch ??

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
Yeah, I think 30/300/2 might happen. I see more of a spike play here or there—breaks a long one off, or returns a punt/KO. I don't see him being a regular contributor, but just splash plays now and then. I HOPE he's more than that.
Yes let's hope he is! 40/500/4-5 would be a great rookie year.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Low floor, high ceiling. He's unquestionably very athletic and fast as hell. Just like the rest of this roster, working with totally new coaching philosophy & game plan, we really don't know.

Taking a guess at this point would be a shot in the dark. I believe his locker is next to Fields for what that's worth!? ?‍♂️ Door's wide open for both to step up. There's little to no serious expectations this season. He seems to be the second coming of Cordarrelle Patterson who previous Bears' regimes didn't use well like ATL's last one did. Getsy & Eber appear to be pretty open to designing their O to match player strengths which sounds refreshing. Hopefully they're legit and Velus isn't another mental midget. IF he picks up a solid route tree, gets decent separation, and acquires Fields' trust, Velus could well have himself a really good rookie year.

Last edited:

jbd

Liked Posts:
26 punt returns for 243 yards. that is all
What a surprise...this loser geriatric dirtbag is talking shit for no reason. Running his mouth about a player that has the potential to come in and surprise some folks and turn some heads. He ran a fucking 4.31 40 for fuck sake. I hope he comes in and does great!!

Get over yourself eggshorts.. You are a nothing more than a trolling hater and naysayer. You have been doing your same ol worn out shit talking routine for two decades now. It started on the previous message board that used to be on the bears website. Your routine is stagnant and you are a joke!

Don't you have a game of whist or cribbage to lose at, at the old folks home?

Kick rocks you sad sack of shit!

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
I am going into it without expectations. It is easy to get excited over his speed and it is easy to get cynical over one concern or another, and the rest of this team is just as big a question mark. Add to that that a lot of the cynicism revolves around bare cupboards from an underwhelming Pace/Nagy regime.

I want to see him get two touches on offense a game and see what he does with it. He has a lot of athletic traits to get excited about, and I will let his play determine expectations next year. We will have a better idea of what he will have the opportunity to do at that point anyway.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I agree about the running game, but those same runners will take a lot of targets away from all the receivers including VJJ.

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
With Mooney and EQ on the outside and Pringle in the slot. Not sure where some of you douche canoes think Jones is going to get all these snaps. If you were saying he is going to be the starting slot guy, then maybe, but he most likely isn't. If you think he is going to be playing a lot on the outside, then you would be wrong.

Getsy will be using a lot of 11 and 12 personnel. 3 WRs on the field most of the time. Those 40 or so receptions for 500 whatever yards are Pringles.

Wish the 25 yr old rook the best, but he may be 26 before he gets on the grass a lot.

Get a good look at Jones in preseason. See what ya got. I'm not saying Pringle is anything special, cuz he isn't.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
With Mooney and EQ on the outside and Pringle in the slot. Not sure where some of you douche canoes think Jones is going to get all these snaps. If you were saying he is going to be the starting slot guy, then maybe, but he most likely isn't. If you think he is going to be playing a lot on the outside, then you would be wrong.

Getsy will be using a lot of 11 and 12 personnel. 3 WRs on the field most of the time. Those 40 or so receptions for 500 whatever yards are Pringles.

Wish the 25 yr old rook the best, but he may be 26 before he gets on the grass a lot.

Get a good look at Jones in preseason. See what ya got. I'm not saying Pringle is anything special, cuz he isn't.
From Bears beat writer Adam Jahns of The Athletic:

“There are usually reasons you don’t hear a player’s name. At receiver, it’s because we’re not noticing Newsome too much. I can remember only one catch from Newsome during the open practices during the offseason program. Darnell Mooney, Byron Pringle and Velus Jones Jr. did more. That’s expected, though. They’re going to be the Bears’ top three receivers as training camp begins.”

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
From Bears beat writer Adam Jahns of The Athletic:

“There are usually reasons you don’t hear a player’s name. At receiver, it’s because we’re not noticing Newsome too much. I can remember only one catch from Newsome during the open practices during the offseason program. Darnell Mooney, Byron Pringle and Velus Jones Jr. did more. That’s expected, though. They’re going to be the Bears’ top three receivers as training camp begins.”
Dazz Newsome? He is irrelevant. He is behind Finke on the depth chart. Dude is saying Jones is ahead of Newsome. Duh! That doesn't make him the starting slot.

Watch when the pads go on in camp. See who is lined up opposite Mooney the most. Getsy wants at least one WR with very good size, and with a good grasp of the offense on the outside. That is EQ. Pringle is primarily a slot WR.

I love how you cats take what local beat writers write as words written in stone, and100% factual. If his opinion is that Pringle will play on the outside and not in the slot, that's wonderful. Doesn't make it true.

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers

I really believe that Jones has an opportunity to get all those snaps to receive a 40-500 stat line. For one, I don't expect Da bears to get figured this year. I expect them to be competitive but my expectations overall for the team are pretty low. If the bears are only a 6-7 win team this year they will definitely want to see what they have in Jones; which will give him more opportunities than expected: running the ball, playing on the outside, and in the slot. Secondly, they have no investment in these other receivers. Outside of Mooney/Jones Jr. they're all here on cheap 1 year deals.

Jones may not start at the beginning of the season or even mid-season be a main guy. However, by the end of the year he could be in the starter/consistent contributor.