Expectations for Velus Jones Jr. this year?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Retirement

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Reminds me of all the years that meatballs here said that Hester was a #1 WR. You clowns are trying to shove 5lbs of Velus into a 2lb WR bag
nobody ever said that, you demented, draft-dodging old queen

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
What expectations do we have for our new rookie WR: Velus Jones Jr this year?

View attachment 20537

I started a new Chicago Bears podcast recently (Small Town Chicago Bears). I put together a deep dive on Velus Jones Jr. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on him? Projections?

Velus Jones Jr. (Deep Dive) by Small Town Chicago Bears

Small Town Chicago Bears is also available on: Spotify/Apple Podcasts/Google Podcasts/Stitcher
One thing about your podcast ... you tried to make an argument about how Velus was the top receiver on the American team during the game over players like Olave, etc.

Did you know that the top WRs did not even play in the Senior Bowl?

Now there were some very good receivers, around his own range of the 3rd or later, who played in the Senior Bowl. The only 2nd round receiver who played was Watson, I believe.

napo55

Liked Posts:
It took him five years to have a productive year in college. Plus, he doesn't seem to be a good route runner. He does have speed and we can hope, but the reality is 400 yards would be about the best we can expect.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Unless you’re expecting Poles to go out and bring in a solid #2 target before the season, who’s going to get targets? Mooney, sure. Pringle will get them too. But you guys are acting like he won’t be used, when the truth is, he’s 3rd or 4th on the depth chart, and that’s just to start the season. Unless we turn into the Ravens or Titans, he’s likely to see a decent number of targets.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't wait until the pads go on in camp, and EQ lines up as the #2 WR opposite Mooney.

"We can't say EQ is one of the best WRs on the Bears. We dumpster dived in Green Bay to get him. Packers fans will laugh if we say he is our #2, but in reality we know he is, we are very excited to have him. Bears OC Luke Getsy thinks very highly of EQ, and that should tell us that he will probably be a major part of the offense."

This fan base is a riot!

View attachment 20544
So does your mom

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
One thing about your podcast ... you tried to make an argument about how Velus was the top receiver on the American team during the game over players like Olave, etc.

Did you know that the top WRs did not even play in the Senior Bowl?

Now there were some very good receivers, around his own range of the 3rd or later, who played in the Senior Bowl. The only 2nd round receiver who played was Watson, I believe.
Looks like Calvin Austin III, Khalil Shakir, Alec Pierce, Christian Watson and Jahan Dotson were biggest names at WR for the Senior Bowl. I assumed those guys like Wilson/Olave were there ?Dotson was the only 1st RD guy. I'll have to make sure I double check a game like that before start throwing out names. I'll edit that section f the podcast tomorrow.

Thanks for calling me out on it! Thanks for listening to the podcast. Hopefully you enjoyed the rest of the it ?

Last edited:

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
Unless you’re expecting Poles to go out and bring in a solid #2 target before the season, who’s going to get targets? Mooney, sure. Pringle will get them too. But you guys are acting like he won’t be used, when the truth is, he’s 3rd or 4th on the depth chart, and that’s just to start the season. Unless we turn into the Ravens or Titans, he’s likely to see a decent number of targets.
If this offense really clicks this season. I would expect Velus to finish 3rd on the team in catches/yards by the end of the season. Really depends on the play of Pringle and Kmet this year. ?

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
Herbert is more explosive over Monty. The kid also has great vision by going back against the flow. Monty is more of a north south runner (nothing wrong wit dat).

Bears need to get Herbert involved and not limit him to a handful of touches a game just to give Monty a blow.

WOW!
Love Monty! But Yes more Herbert please ??

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
85 Catches for 1469 yards and 12 TDs.
42 Rushes for 420 yards and 8 TDs.
2 Punt returns, 2 TDs
2 Kick returns, 2 TDs

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
~400 total return yards/10 yards per return

250 receiving yards, 2 Rec tds

50 yards rushing on 15-20 jet sweep attempts

Fans turn on him by week 8, call him a bust and demand a wr with the inevitable top 5 draft pick before commencing with mock draft madness.

Rinse, repeat.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Reminds me of all the years that meatballs here said that Hester was a #1 WR. You clowns are trying to shove 5lbs of Velus into a 2lb WR bag
30 receptions for 300 yards would mean Velus is like the 4th or 5th option. I'm not exactly crowning him as a starter with those projections.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
I think he is used mostly as a gadget receiver/rb this year. I would expect 30 rec / 300 yards as appropriate over/under. That's averaging about 2 rec/game and then throw in there some gadget runs.

I hope for more but that's my expectation.

Here is my fear of the reception leader/priorities right now:

#1 - Mooney
#2 - Kmet
#3 - Monty/Herbert
#4 - Pringle/Eq/Velus

It would really be nice to have a WR 2 be next top in receptions but it's hard to see that right now. I hope I'm wrong.