Expectations heading into this season

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
As disappointing as the ending was, I think almost all of us Cubs fans are aware enough to appreciate the overachieving that happened to get that far. Went back and read some of the threads from prior to the season and there is some interesting opinions and even some instant classic material :lol:

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/51744-How-can-the-Cubs-be-competitive-in-2015

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/63985-Fangraphs-Projects-Cubs-Playoff-Spot

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/63706-Anthony-Rizzo-guarantees

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you for making a thread and not going Fisch style and bumping threads. :beer:

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Not sure if I ever posted my predictions on here, but I was thinking anywhere from 81-85 wins and just miss the playoffs. I was wrong and I was glad i was wrong. It felt great to watch October baseball again.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Not sure if I ever posted my predictions on here, but I was thinking anywhere from 81-85 wins and just miss the playoffs. I was wrong and I was glad i was wrong. It felt great to watch October baseball again.

great and strange it had been to long.

I predict a WS victory in the next few years.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
great and strange it had been to long.

I predict a WS victory in the next few years.

The Cubs have no pitching depth and strike out more than every other team in baseball. Spend some money on a real ace this time, then trade for an experienced bat or two and there is a chance.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
My expectations are that they improve the rotation and win 90-95 games. I'd like to see them in the Division race, legitimately, in September. I expect improvement out of the young players especially Russell at the plate and decreased K rates from Bryant and Schwarber. Expecting 97 wins again is foolish although I do expect the playoffs and another shot at the ring.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'll hold judgment until they start to spend. I do not believe as is the team will win 97. This team over achieved. Too many swing an miss types with a back end of the rotation in suspect. Pen got bolstered by Cahill and he is a F/A. Pen was suspect until he came and locked down the middle relief.

I can't even give them 90 wins right now until they get a legit lead off.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I'll hold judgment until they start to spend. I do not believe as is the team will win 97. This team over achieved. Too many swing an miss types with a back end of the rotation in suspect. Pen got bolstered by Cahill and he is a F/A. Pen was suspect until he came and locked down the middle relief.

I can't even give them 90 wins right now until they get a legit lead off.

Thats the thing -- we don't have to win 97 games next year. We just have to make the playoffs. I think individually all of young guys (Bryant, Schwarber, Russell, Baez, and Soler) have room for improvement. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect most of them to have better years next season.

How many teams in MLB history have started four rookies, won 97 games, and advanced to the NLCS? Several factors played into our success (elite managing, historic year from Arrieta, etc) but one of the primary elements of our success was our rookies are big time studs.

Brant is a stud and could easily be a top-5 player in baseball as soon as next year. Schwarber is a monster with no ceiling. When Soler is right, he's scary. He actually has the tools to be the best of the bunch. And Addison Russell, if he stays healthy, projects to be one of the best defensive short stops in the game.

We are good. Very good. We just need to tinker with our roster enough to fill some holes, keep depth, and position ourselves to make the playoffs.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have no pitching depth and strike out more than every other team in baseball. Spend some money on a real ace this time, then trade for an experienced bat or two and there is a chance.

Yea, I remember someone saying there was no chance this year. :-v