Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Pat Kirwan a former NFL personnel executive came up with a simple system that he uses to evaluate draft talent and confirm what he sees on a prospect’s tape.

His explosion score is based on adding a player’s numbers from the bench press, broad jump and vertical jump. Anything 70 or above is what he looks for especially when a prospect is in consideration for a first round pick.

You can look at pro day numbers and find guys likely to be there at 20 and would fill needs for the Bears. Two players that fit this criteria are Jaycee Horn and Teven Jenkins.

A guy that has great tape, a nasty attitude and would be an ideal fit for the Bears is Teven Jenkins. His explosion score helps validate that his tape corresponds to the type of athlete that excels in the NFL.

I grabbed a random article that shows the explosion scores of front 7 players in the 2011 draft. Pretty interesting list...

2011 NFL Draft: Ranking Front 7 Prospects by Explosion and Production

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
IDK about this explosion score but i love Pat Kirwan. A decade ago i used to religiously listen to his show with Tim Ryan on Sirius XM. Learned way more about football in a month than a lifetime of watching ESPN.

Edit: I think it was more like 15 years ago. God, i'm getting old. In a half century i'll be in @TheWinman age bracket.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
IDK about this explosion score but i love Pat Kirwan. A decade ago i used to religiously listen to his show with Tim Ryan on Sirius XM. Learned way more about football in a month than a lifetime of watching ESPN.

Edit: I think it was more like 15 years ago. God, i'm getting old. In a half century i'll be in @TheWinman age bracket.

Kirwan is awesome and he’s teamed with Jim Miller now. He just breaks it down based on how NFL people look at the draft, free agency, contracts, coaching hires, rules, officiating and anything else related to the game.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kirwan is awesome and he’s teamed with Jim Miller now. He just breaks it down based on how NFL people look at the draft, free agency, contracts, coaching hires, rules, officiating and anything else related to the game.
Oh yeah, I remember Jim Miller was on there a ton too. Id like to listen to that but im not paying for Sirius.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
we've drafted a crap load of Adonis guys who can't play...give me a Mike Brown in the 2nd round any day....Leon joe anyone?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Essentially this proves the point that most of us are aware of, that the workout warrior is not a guarantee of being successful in the NFL. However, the "Production score" that is based off film does seem to correlate pretty closely to NFL success.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Problem i see with Jenkins is....

We signed and paid Ifedi to start at RT
We need a LT
Jenkins is a RT
We have a hole at CB

I could see a CB in the first with a developmental LT in the 2nd or 3rd

Personally I'd love a combo of Jenkins in r1 with a LT prospect in R2/3 (little , Hudson cosmi eichenberg...etc) but think pace has created more holes on the roster and won't be able to double up at tackle early on.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The best rookie offensive tackle I can remember was drafted last year and he was a right tackle. You simply don't find guys who step in as rookies right away and are dominant left tackles, there are always growing pains. The idea that the Bears can find one in the second round, let alone twentieth overall, is basically impossible.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:

We need a LT
Jenkins is a RT
We have a hole at CB

Some truth here, but Ifedi is only getting paid 4.25 million and its on a one year deal, so I wouldn't consider that position "filled" if the right prospect is there.

Need a CB is a big issue. What is scarier, Leno and Ifedi at starting OTs or Johnson and Trufant/Shelley/Vildor filling out 2nd CB and Nickleback... probably the T position honestly and there is no depth.

So if you have a true starting RT at 20 that's a good value, I would grab him. I could say same about CB too.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Also, you go Mustipher, Whitehair, Jenkins, Kmet.. that is a right side I don't mind running off of. If a guard or center goes down, you can move the interior around and Ifedi fills in. Honestly if Jenkins is solid that gives us 4 out of 5 decent starting lineman.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
we've drafted a crap load of Adonis guys who can't play...give me a Mike Brown in the 2nd round any day....Leon joe anyone?

The point of the explosion score is to help verify what a GM sees on tape translates to the type of athlete that is successful in the NFL. It’s a piece of the puzzle. I’m sure in the later rounds most GMs are drafting outstanding traits with the hope of development.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

We need a LT
Jenkins is a RT
We have a hole at CB

I could see a CB in the first with a developmental LT in the 2nd or 3rd

Personally I'd love a combo of Jenkins in r1 with a LT prospect in R2/3 (little , Hudson cosmi eichenberg...etc) but think pace has created more holes on the roster and won't be able to double up at tackle early on.

Could trade down in 1st and still get a solid CB or T with first pick, then have another 2nd or 3rd depending on the drop. Even throw in a late pick to move back up with 2nd or 3rd for possible starter value since T & WR are deep.

Per OP - I agree that explosion is important. I've said for years that it's important for a prospect to have a mean side to him. Look at Kelce & his loud kick ass & have fun attitude vs. quiet softees like Shaheen. Same size & athletics, but massive difference in production. Those measurables are very important but only part of it.

Even with Mack & Hicks being soft spoken off the field, they are tough as nails on it. Pick me a player who loves the weight room every time but loves busting skulls even more.