FA Contracts

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Some #Bears contract updates via OTC:

- CB Desmond Trufant 1/$1.075M (no guarantees)
- RB Damien Williams 1/$1.5M ($1M guaranteed) & 3 void years. $1.125M cap hit.
- LB Christian Jones 1/$1.213M ($538K guaranteed) & a $988K cap hit.
- CB Artie Burns 1/$990K. $850K cap hit

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Cheap minimum deals (obviously)

also saw we would need to clear 7-10m more for draft class and in season spending. Looking at this I love the upside on the deals for the amount guaranteed or even not guaranteed in Trufant’s case.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trufant isn't even guaranteed a roster spot. (or a dime of money) They basically have 3/5 of the secondary left to fill.

Biggs brought up a good point too. At 4 million Ifedi is going to start. He's the RT. They're not paying him that much to sit.

greg23

Liked Posts:
my guesses at 20 would be:

cb: farley/newsome
wr: bateman/toney
ol: darrisaw/jenkins

msadows

Liked Posts:
Trufant isn't even guaranteed a roster spot. (or a dime of money) They basically have 3/5 of the secondary left to fill.

Biggs brought up a good point too. At 4 million Ifedi is going to start. He's the RT. They're not paying him that much to sit.

Don't rule out burns either.

Pace and co were more than comfortable having him be the day 1 starter at CB#2 ahead of JJ before the injury. I'm sure they like him

msadows

Liked Posts:
Cheap minimum deals (obviously)

also saw we would need to clear 7-10m more for draft class and in season spending. Looking at this I love the upside on the deals for the amount guaranteed or even not guaranteed in Trufant’s case.

That would cost one jimmy graham.

Shocked he hasn't been cut yet. Means he probably won't be. Usually the bears are good guys and if they plan on cutting a vet they do it early so they can find a new team. Doubt graham is gone in that case.

No idea where they get that cash then.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Don't rule out burns either.

Pace and co were more than comfortable having him be the day 1 starter at CB#2 ahead of JJ before the injury. I'm sure they like him

I'm sure Pace is in love with the idea of starting either of his two non guaranteed FA CB acquisitions. lol

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That would cost one jimmy graham.

Shocked he hasn't been cut yet. Means he probably won't be. Usually the bears are good guys and if they plan on cutting a vet they do it early so they can find a new team. Doubt graham is gone in that case.

No idea where they get that cash then.

They already restructured Jackson, Mack, and Whitehair. The only big money deal they could restructure to create space is Robert Quinn, and that seems like a huge mistake guaranteeing him more money in the future.

As for cuts though, the Bears do have Hicks, Graham, and Leno who are all on the last years of their deals and could be cut for 7-10M in savings each. So, I definitely see at least 1 of them being cut post draft. Hicks is the one I think would be cut already if he was going to be cut. Graham, there's the theory he's still on the roster in case there's still a chance of a Wilson trade. So, maybe closer to the draft if the Wilson thing 100% isnt happening, then you can cut Jimmy. Leno would be dependent on the Bears getting someone they think can be a day 1 stud at LT.

Signing Robinson long-term could also save a ton of money, but doesn't feel like either side is very interested in that.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
my guesses at 20 would be:

cb: farley/newsome
wr: bateman/toney
ol: darrisaw/jenkins

Yep. That's where I'm at too. I'd lean Newsome over Farley. The back injury is 1 thing for Farley, but I also think the fit could be an issue. He and Johnson would give them 2 bigger bodied CBs, and make them susceptible to small, fast WRs. Newsome matches up better against smaller WRs. Farley is also more of a man coverage guy and if Desai is like Fangio, you won't see enough man coverage to maximize his abilities.

Bateman over Toney as well. I comped Bateman to Arob actually, but that's when I thought he was at his listed size of 6'2, 210. But at the pro day he was about 6', 190lbs, so he actually projects really well to the slot. He's really good on inside breaking routes as well, which bodes well for the slot. Toney has suspect hands and I just don't see him as a 1st round pick.

Darrisaw is a top 10 player to me, but he's also not likely to be there at 20, unfortunately. Jenkins would be a monster and what this OL needs. I do think Ifedi is the RT (because if he's RG, Daniels or Whitehair would have to play C again where they both were worse players than at OG), and Jenkins has played RT in college, so IDK if the Bears would throw him into the fire at LT as a rookie. 20th pick isn't going to sit.

Liked Posts:
Keeping Graham is such an odd move. Only thing I can think of is they might think they still have an outside shot at trading for Russ and think this would help them. Idk, that doesn't even make sense.

I could see Graham zoning out next season and playing very little.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Pace mentioned Graham and Kmet as positives for the offense as he had 8 td's. They are keeping him based on that, not because of a RW fantasy trade.

Pace also is not going to cut his starting LT unless he somehow selects a plug and play LT in the draft which seems unlikely at 20.

That leaves Hicks who they would have traded if he had any value and would have cut to pay for Golladay.

Agree with all of this, but they don't have much choice. They either cut 1 of them, keep Quinn on the books longer, or they can't sign their draft picks. They don't need cap space to manuever, they need it to actually function.