FCC & NFL blackouts - Possible NHL consequences?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
http://news.yahoo.com/fccs-pai-supports-repeal-nfl-tv-blackout-rules-181100557.html</p>

</p>

So I read this article and based on the fact it's targeting the behemoth that is the NFL, I figure the result of this could have impacts regarding all leagues:  NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, and any leage which is not the financial juggernaut (bitch!) that is the NFL but has blackout rules and also a "package" in which you can (online or TV) get all of the games for the league.</p>

</p>

Thoughts, opinions?</p>

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I am sure that very few NFL games have to use the blackout rule in quite sometime, I am torn.   This is the respective leagues products and their rules with the media providers; and those rules should follow as with any other product that may have restrictive rules.    On the other hand as a fan, I think everyone should be able to have access to any sporting event that is televised.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BiscuitInTheBasket2in17" data-cid="235515" data-time="1408991071">
<div>

While I am sure that very few NFL games have to use the blackout rule in quite sometime, I am torn.   This is the respective leagues products and their rules with the media providers; and those rules should follow as with any other product that may have restrictive rules.    On the other hand as a fan, I think everyone should be able to have access to any sporting event that is televised.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

You will still see a hard kick from the NFL on this though because while their hasn't been many actual blackouts recently, there has been the thread of it repeatedly throughout the last few years, and some local business always steps up and purchases the remaining block for the publicity to stave off the blackout. It's a travesty really. I remember Detroit, St. Louis I believe, and especially Jax have all had these problems.</p>

</p>

I think the biggest problem this creates is the continued force on the market that keeps prices raised. If every team is guaranteed a sellout every game because of these tactics, the free market isn't allowed to have it's hand in driving the cost of games.</p>

</p>

nfl_prices-1.gif
20130907-093630.jpg
</p>

</p>

And look at the disparity. in 2004, the different between #1 and #10 is $14. in 2013 the different between #1 and #10 is about $31 dollars. Imagine if they didn't have a salary cap.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One of the factors as well is the ability to see a game and the fact that the internet has made things so connected that any fan with a scrap of internet know-how is going to find a pirate feed if they're unable to find a legit one--blackouts or none.</p>

</p>

If you have an NFL equaivalent of, say, HockeyStreams (and it's based in a country that has rather lax rebroadcasting laws) which undercuts Sunday Ticket and guarentees a decent stream of the game, how much are TV blackouts really going to matter in the long run? </p>