Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
You need a better hobby.

LOL don't be a douche. Might as well say the same to me. I am in on this new version of XFL and am rooting for it to succeed. I don't think it will ever overtake the NFL but I think it may push the NFL to get fucking better already. I think the quality of NFL officiating, rules, game presentation has been spiraling and NFL is overdue for a creative kick in the ass.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
College coaches get paid to win just like they do. If they don’t feel that player is good enough to do that over a clearly inferior talent, it’s a problem.

So many many posts and articles leading up to the pick (and after it) re-cast the narrative as Mitch being a victim of in-house politics.

Last edited:

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I chuckled but here’s the thing...it’s not like Pace made a wild reach like a Shea McClellin or even Adam Shaheen. Mitch was regarded as the top QB by probably over 50 % of scouts and analysts. It sucks, because of who he passed up and what they’re doing, but plenty of GMs would have picked Mitch too. It’s been stale for a while now. Pace fucked up. Mahomes is superman, and Watson would have been cool too. We don’t need a thread about it every hour though.

That’s the price you pay when you whiff that bad & it was a huge whiff (especially with the trade up). Buckle up because you will hear about this one for years. Including on NFL Networks draft bust count down.

Pray that Mitch can bring us a couple of Super Bowls to make it go away.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
So many many posts and articles leading up to the pick (and after it) re-cast the narrative as Mitch being a victim of in-house politics.

coaches at the college level are judged on win/loss record. NC coach felt Williams gave the team the best chance to win and he was right.

Think same sort of politics back in the day when Cutler got hurt and Josh McCown came in and reeled off win after win. Does the coach stick with the hot hand cause the team is winning or does he bring in the better physical athlete.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I liked Marquise as a late pick, UDFA type when he came out but it doesn't appear he's destined for the NFL. Vikes dismissed him after rookie camp and Packers cut him after a full one with no claims.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
coaches at the college level are judged on win/loss record. NC coach felt Williams gave the team the best chance to win and he was right.

Think same sort of politics back in the day when Cutler got hurt and Josh McCown came in and reeled off win after win. Does the coach stick with the hot hand cause the team is winning or does he bring in the better physical athlete.

Please don't mistake my post for an argument. I have no knowledge of NC college football when Williams and Mitch were QBs there. And I don't care to know at all. I have no faith in Mitch whatsoever. Less in Nagy and Pace is my scapegoat for all things wrong by bringing it all together. Even if God Himself brought evidence that Pace did his homework and Mitch was being held back by a coach that *should* have played him more, Pace would get zero points of "credit" from me in his handling of this whole thing.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Uh oh

Mitch Trubisky failed to beat out an NFL washout

This was indeed one of the most worrisome aspects of Trubisky’s evaluation process back in 2016. By rights, given his obvious talent superiority, he should’ve convinced the North Carolina coaching staff that he was the rightful starting quarterback in 2015. It was obvious to everybody that Williams was not a future NFL starter. He didn’t even receive an invitation to the scouting combine after the season ended. Yet it didn’t matter. Fedora elected to keep him as their starter.

The Tarheels finished 11-3 with Williams accounting for 38 total touchdowns and over 4,000 yards of offense. The next year with almost the exact same offensive personnel in place, Trubisky managed 35 touchdowns and just over 4,000 yards of offense while going 8-5. That should’ve been a red flag. The fact that he wasn’t able to elevate the offense upon taking over as the starter.

This is another reminder of how difficult the evaluation of quarterbacks is. Teams get so in-depth with their work that sometimes they lose sight of the more obvious alarm bells. Egos get in the way. If I just get the right system in place with the right coach, this kid will become what he should be. The scout though is exactly right. College coaches get paid to win just like they do. If they don’t feel that player is good enough to do that over a clearly inferior talent, it’s a problem.

One the Bears have realized far too late.

That article is 100% wrong. I follow UNC football and have a good connection with someone close to that program. The reason Marquise started 2015 (The year they won the ACC Coastal) was because Fedora promised him he would be the starter going into his senior season. They knew they had a good team that year as it was all alligning with some good college talent in Switzer, Hollins, Hood, Logan, Howard, etc.

It wasn't because Mitch couldn't beat out Marquise. That's not true at all. Mitch was the better QB and anyone that followed that program knew it. The problem for Mitch was that Marquise didn't have constant stretches where he sucked and Fedora could pull the plug like he did in 2014 at times. Mitch played a decent amount that season as well. The worst game he had was Week 1 and it was Week 1. If that was Week 4-5-6 whatever, he would have been pulled.

Fedora wasn't a good coach, trust me.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
That article is 100% wrong. I follow UNC football and have a good connection with someone close to that program. The reason Marquise started 2015 (The year they won the ACC Coastal) was because Fedora promised him he would be the starter going into his senior season. They knew they had a good team that year as it was all alligning with some good college talent in Switzer, Hollins, Hood, Logan, Howard, etc.

It wasn't because Mitch couldn't beat out Marquise. That's not true at all. Mitch was the better QB and anyone that followed that program knew it. The problem for Mitch was that Marquise didn't have constant stretches where he sucked and Fedora could pull the plug like he did in 2014 at times. Mitch played a decent amount that season as well. The worst game he had was Week 1 and it was Week 1. If that was Week 4-5-6 whatever, he would have been pulled.

Fedora wasn't a good coach, trust me.
Not much truth to that. The coach just wanted the far better dual threat. If Trubisky was actually better, the team would have faired better the final year when he started. They clearly did not.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Mitch’s biggest problem coming out of College was his deep ball and throwing left. Very inconsistent and it hasn’t improved.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not much truth to that. The coach just wanted the far better dual threat. If Trubisky was actually better, the team would have faired better the final year when he started. They clearly did not.

I have no idea who is right or not (and I don't care that much) but your reasoning is flawed. Teams change from year to year and W-L do not hinge solely on QB play.

EX: I think Kramer was better than Walsh in every way, but one might (illogically) argue that if Kramer was actually better, the 95 Bears would have faired [sic] better than the 94 Bears. They clearly did not since 95 Kramer failed to make the playoffs and 94 Walsh made the playoffs and won a playoff game.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no idea who is right or not (and I don't care that much) but your reasoning is flawed. Teams change from year to year and W-L do not hinge solely on QB play.

EX: I think Kramer was better than Walsh in every way, but one might (illogically) argue that if Kramer was actually better, the 95 Bears would have faired [sic] better than the 94 Bears. They clearly did not since 95 Kramer failed to make the playoffs and 94 Walsh made the playoffs and won a playoff game.
Not the best analogy. There are stark differences in college and NFL teams and to say the Bears didn't get better with Kramer is very odd when, in fact, their offense went from being bottom 5 in the NFL to top 10 w/Kramer. Problem was their defense went from being top 10 to bottom 10.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not the best analogy. There are stark differences in college and NFL teams and to say the Bears didn't get better with Kramer is very odd when, in fact, their offense went from being bottom 5 in the NFL to top 10 w/Kramer. Problem was their defense went from being top 10 to bottom 10.

Yes I know! That is my point. You claimed Williams was better due to the team being better when he played than Mitch was and said that meant Mitch clearly wasn't better. If you specified, maybe you have a solid case - I don't even know. Sounds like @zack54attack would disagree and I hope he chimes in so I can watch the back-and-forth.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Yes I know! That is my point. You claimed Williams was better due to the team being better when he played than Mitch was and said that meant Mitch clearly wasn't better. If you specified, maybe you have a solid case - I don't even know. Sounds like @zack54attack would disagree and I hope he chimes in so I can watch the back-and-forth.

There is no need to chime in. The author of that article clearly pointed out the roster was largely intact when Williams left after his senior year yet the offense still flat lined with Mitch behind center. He's just an "A Guy" athlete playing a "The Guy" position but everyone already knows this by now.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There is no need to chime in. The author of that article clearly pointed out the roster was largely intact when Williams left after his senior year yet the offense still flat lined with Mitch behind center. He's just an "A Guy" athlete playing a "The Guy" position but everyone already knows this by now.

Well, not all Bears fans know he is just a guy, but I believe he is. As to UNC, I have heard both sides and read articles positing both positions. I am generally curious about UNC facts but it would bear little relevance to Pace's ability to scout QBs as I can see it. Also, I'll chime in whenever the fuck I want to. Thanks.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Well, not all Bears fans know he is just a guy, but I believe he is. As to UNC, I have heard both sides and read articles positing both positions. I am generally curious about UNC facts but it would bear little relevance to Pace's ability to scout QBs as I can see it. Also, I'll chime in whenever the fuck I want to. Thanks.

you were asking for zack4attack to chime in as backup to whatever stance you were taking. I was merely saying there was no need for him too. The article explained the situation perfectly.

Regardless of how or why the NFL athlete didn't get his starts. The article merely pointed out with same personnel the offense still flat lined with the superior NFL athlete behind center and didn't take the next step of which just points out what most been saying all along, Mitch is just an "A GUY" player who just happens to be manning a "The Guy" position.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Regardless of how or why the NFL athlete didn't get his starts.

Regardless of how or why? Politics vs. losing out in fair competition? Seems like there are big differences that matter there and are not just a case of "regardless" of why he didn't start.

The article merely pointed out with same personnel the offense still flat lined with the superior NFL athlete behind center

I know that already. I have read articles that claim the reverse with reasons for why it regressed that were outside the QB's control. Spartan agrees with your take and Zack54attack does not agree with your take. I do not have a take and am generally curious to the point of following a thread on CCS if it progresses that way naturally.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I chuckled but here’s the thing...it’s not like Pace made a wild reach like a Shea McClellin or even Adam Shaheen. Mitch was regarded as the top QB by probably over 50 % of scouts and analysts. It sucks, because of who he passed up and what they’re doing, but plenty of GMs would have picked Mitch too. It’s been stale for a while now. Pace fucked up. Mahomes is superman, and Watson would have been cool too. We don’t need a thread about it every hour though.
That doesn't excuse a bust. Cedric benson was drafted where he was supposed to go but we dont give JA a pass for that.