Feel Sorry For Justin Fields? Or good fit

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
I'd say good fit. He comes off as a guy who wants to take on this challenge of being the guy to bring the Superbowl to Chicago, rather than compete in a small market like say Detroit.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
You are rarely going to see coaches speak negetively about their players.
Their job is to motivate their players. If the head coach has a shity QB and no other options of course he is going to support him and try to build up his confidence. He has no other choice. Do you not see this?

Basically yes your statement is right. As with everything else in life you have to use your own critical thinking and read between the lines.

My critical thinking says Nagy didn't come here against Trubisky with 3 years on his contract. He wouldn't have come and he wouldn't have been accepted if that was the case. Fox, yes, he got a free ride for a year of pay to train a new GM.
And yes, Nagy really did want Foles or else Foles wouldn't have been put in at 2-0 and given as much of a chance to suck as much as he was.
The same with Glennon and Pace. He believed or Glennon wouldn't have been paid that much. He could've got anyone off the trash heap cheaper to do just as bad.

If you don't hold people to their lies they keep on making bigger and bigger lies. You can avoid being negative without being overly positive.

Oh noes!!!! Do you think my fear based on 35 years of Bears wrong based on a single draft pick for the wrong side??? I hope it won't keep you awake at night.
Time will tell if my fear is right or wrong. But 35 years of time proves my fear is not unfounded.

As it is, I'm much happier now than I was yesterday. At least we didn't get a QB and then pour the rest of his rookie contract into top defensive talent. At least it shows Pace can do what he said he was going to do years ago and hasn't managed to do.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
My critical thinking says Nagy didn't come here against Trubisky with 3 years on his contract. He wouldn't have come and he wouldn't have been accepted if that was the case. Fox, yes, he got a free ride for a year of pay to train a new GM.
And yes, Nagy really did want Foles or else Foles wouldn't have been put in at 2-0 and given as much of a chance to suck as much as he was.
The same with Glennon and Pace. He believed or Glennon wouldn't have been paid that much. He could've got anyone off the trash heap cheaper to do just as bad.

If you don't hold people to their lies they keep on making bigger and bigger lies. You can avoid being negative without being overly positive.

Oh noes!!!! Do you think my fear based on 35 years of Bears wrong based on a single draft pick for the wrong side??? I hope it won't keep you awake at night.
Time will tell if my fear is right or wrong. But 35 years of time proves my fear is not unfounded.

As it is, I'm much happier now than I was yesterday. At least we didn't get a QB and then pour the rest of his rookie contract into top defensive talent. At least it shows Pace can do what he said he was going to do years ago and hasn't managed to d

As it is, I'm much happier now than I was yesterday. At least we didn't get a QB and then pour the rest of his rookie contract into top defensive talent. At least it shows Pace can do what he said he was going to do years ago and hasn't managed to do.
Fair point on him accepting the job knowing Trubisky was the QB. However at that time the majority of the experts seemed to agree that he had potential still to be a good qb in the NFL.

Giving up a 4th for a QB is nothing and i think Foles was just an insurance policy/worst case scenario and someone they knew at the least could run the system even with his limitations. There is zero evidence that Nagy thought Foles was the answer for this offense. If he did he would have started the year. Every Bears fan was calling for Foles at the time despite the Bears being 2-0. People were sick of Trubisky.

I respect holding people to the truth. Regarding Glennon, that was obviously a massive overpay. I cant wrap my head around that except to say that if it was more of a smokescreen and if Trubisky turned out to be a franchise QB it would have been worth it.

During the draft Thursday night, i was sweating bullets at picks 8 &9 bc the Panthers and Broncos had just given up low draft picks for retread QBs and I was worried that they made those moves as smokescreens to help insure they got their guy in the draft. Luckily they are more short sighted than that (or had a very different valuations on the QBs left).

Point being, every year you look at the teams that go deep in the playoffs and the biggest consistency is a good QB(it takes a village to make a QB work but the point stands). If the Bears paid Glennon 18 million to help ensure they drafted what they thought was a franchise QB then i cant fault them for that. A few weeks ago the Bears tweeted a pic of Andy Dalton in a Bears uniform with the caption Quarterback #1. Obviously can be seen as trolling, but Its not unthinkable that if the Bears didn't sign Dalton that it would have been obvious they had to get a QB and maybe someone would have traded above them or they could have been charged more to move up. From that perspective, acquiring Glennon and propping him up wouldn't have been a big price to pay if they landed the right guy.

Last edited:

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Guy is about to get $18.9 million, with a signing bonus of: $11.1 million. To play football. Do I feel sorry for him?? Nah.

Fit? I hope the Bears finally got a guy at QB who can transcend a 'FIT'. One can always hope.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Fair point on him accepting the job knowing Trubisky was the QB. However at that time the majority of the experts seemed to agree that he had potential still to be a good qb in the NFL.

Giving up a 4th for a QB is nothing and i think Foles was just an insurance policy/worst case scenario and someone they knew at the least could run the system even with his limitations. There is zero evidence that Nagy thought Foles was the answer for this offense. If he did he would have started the year. Every Bears fan was calling for Foles at the time despite the Bears being 2-0. People were sick of Trubisky at the time.

I respect holding people to the truth. Regarding Glennon, that was obviously a massive overpay. I cant wrap my head around that except to say that if it was more of a smokescreen and if Trubisky turned out to be a franchise QB it would have been worth it.

During the draft Thursday night, i was sweating bullets at picks 8 &9 bc the Panthers and Broncos had just given up low draft picks for retread QBs and I was worried that they made those moves as smokescreens to help insure they got their guy in the draft. Luckily they are more short sighted than that (or had a very different valuations on the QBs left).

Point being, every year you look at the teams that go deep in the playoffs and the biggest consistency is a good QB(it takes a village to make a QB work but the point stands). If the Bears paid Glennon 18 million to help ensure they drafted what they thought was a franchise QB then i cant fault them for that. A few weeks ago the Bears tweeted a pic of Andy Dalton in a Bears uniform with the caption Quarterback #1. Obviously can be seen as trolling, but Its not unthinkable that if the Bears didn't sign Dalton that it would have been obvious they had to get a QB and maybe someone would have traded above them or they could have been charged more to move up. From that perspective, acquiring Glennon and propping him up wouldn't have been a big price to pay if they landed the right guy.

You had to remind me Foles was more than money LOL
I'm pretty sure Nagy was singing praises for Foles from the git go and wanted him to start the year but was pressured to give Trubbles another chance. Short of magically turning into a different QB Trubisky was coming out 2-0 or 0-2.
Not every Bears fan. Some of us knew Foles would be worse because we paid more attention to his career than him being a backup on a SB winning team.

I think Dalton is a good signing on its own merits, because Foles isn't going to take us anywhere as a starter unless we have a great team to carry him. He is probably good enough to play and let the rookie play when ready. Foles is a good backup but Fields would have to start by game 3 with him. Dalton may not be great but he's probably not going to get Fields forced in like Glennon.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
You had to remind me Foles was more than money LOL
I'm pretty sure Nagy was singing praises for Foles from the git go and wanted him to start the year but was pressured to give Trubbles another chance. Short of magically turning into a different QB Trubisky was coming out 2-0 or 0-2.
Not every Bears fan. Some of us knew Foles would be worse because we paid more attention to his career than him being a backup on a SB winning team.

I think Dalton is a good signing on its own merits, because Foles isn't going to take us anywhere as a starter unless we have a great team to carry him. He is probably good enough to play and let the rookie play when ready. Foles is a good backup but Fields would have to start by game 3 with him. Dalton may not be great but he's probably not going to get Fields forced in like Glennon.
Completely agree. I don't think Fields will sit long but we have the luxury of trotting out a starting quality QB while he develops. We can afford to be a little patient unless for some reason Dalton is terrible here.
This is a brand new feeling. Every media outlet seems to believe in a Chicago QB for the first time in my life. Nothing is proven yet but the situation is overwhelmingly positive for good reason.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
is ability to learn the same brain function as processing speed? also Trubisky if I'm not mistaken had a higher score on the Wonderlic than Mahomes, I think for QB's a specific test is needed about processing speed
Easy. The same results on the Wonderlic test but having someone whipping you with a wet towel after 2.3 seconds on every question.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Marshall Fields
Brookfield
Soldier Field
Field Museum
Justin Fields

It was destiny boys
Don't forget how I was proven wrong! Pace did not draft Mrs. Fields.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
What? You mean when you say something and then what you do shows that you believed what you said means you didn't mean it? That's odd.
Generally when I don't mean something I don't say it and I try to soften the blow with other platitudes and I definitely don't do stuff that says I believed the crap I spewed.

Guess what, Fields isn't their choice out of the whole league either. Nobody ever gets that choice so if that's your requirement don't pull the "his guy" BS with anyone. All players are just the best ones they could get out of who is available.
You aren’t a NFL HC that not only has to instill confidence in the players he has, but also have every word scrutinized by the media and thousands of rabid (and often clueless) fans.

They made a big move up for Fields. He is the guy they wanted.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Nagy had a lot of influence in the pick. He could have chosen the more cerebral, accurate passer in Jones, but decided the more athletic QB was the one to run his offense.

Makes me think we haven’t even seen the true Nagy offense yet. I’m not going to question it unless it looks like they are trying to force a square peg into a round hole...

the true “Nagy offense”

that’s just a made up thing man. We don’t know what that is. Neither does he. When the offense sucks it’s the QB. When a QB plays well... it’s that Nagy offense! Gimme a fucking break.

He fails to use guys for their skill set. Enough said.

Reactions: Myk

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
is ability to learn the same brain function as processing speed? also Trubisky if I'm not mistaken had a higher score on the Wonderlic than Mahomes, I think for QB's a specific test is needed about processing speed
Mahommes had pro bowl tackles.
Trubisky had overachieving back ups.

then we saw Mahommes with his backups in the Super Bowl. Looked like Mitch.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Mahommes had pro bowl tackles.
Trubisky had overachieving back ups.

then we saw Mahommes with his backups in the Super Bowl. Looked like Mitch.
Mitch looked better than that SB Mahomes...

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
No long term memory? Nagy came in saying how Trubisky was his guy. Chase was his guy. Foles was his guy.
You have imagined that secretly Foles wasn't his guy, although his actions with all of them shows that he was a believer that they were his guys.
Meh, what you expect him to say? Quite honestly, this pick puts all the pressure on Nagy. There are no excuses.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Mitch looked better than that SB Mahomes...

I’ve seen some really shitty Mitch which is why he isn’t here anymore. However I believe Nagy is the bears biggest problem.

He’s a college coach. He says... this is how an offense needs to run... not this is what we have... so this would be the best way to create on offense.

crazy but true

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I’ve seen some really shitty Mitch which is why he isn’t here anymore. However I believe Nagy is the bears biggest problem.

He’s a college coach. He says... this is how an offense needs to run... not this is what we have... so this would be the best way to create on offense.

crazy but true
First, all NFL teams have their scheme and fit players into it, just like Nagy. Very few, if any, are completely adaptable.

Which leads to point #2: In order to truly fit the scheme to the talent, you would have to be really-developing a good portion of your scheme every season, to fit your new FAs and draft picks. That would hinder a lot more than it would help, as NFL schemes aren’t exactly easy to learn, and players play better the longer they have been in the same system.

Every team has their scheme, and they work to bring in players to fit it. Then that scheme can be tweaked a bit to account for a special talent/skill set, which can make the overall scheme even better. But the idea of developing the scheme completely around the talent...it’s a myth.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm hopeful that Fields will rewrite the Bears record books.

Career Completions: Cutler - 2020, Harbaugh - 1023, Trubisky - 1010, Kramer - 913, Luckman - 904, McMahon - 874.

Career Attempts: Cutler - 3271, Harbaugh - 1759, Luckman - 1744, Trubisky - 1577, Kramer - 1557, McMahon - 1513.

Career Amp% (min 500 attempts): Trubisky - 64.0, Cutler - 61.8, Shane Matthews - 61.1, Kramer - 58.6, Jim Miller - 58.5, Harbaugh - 58.2, McMahon - 57.8.

CareerYards passing: Cutler - 23443, Luckman - 14686, Harbaugh - 11567, McMahon - 11203, Trubisky - 10609, Kramer - 10582.

TD passes: Cutler - 154, Luckman - 137, Billy Wade - 68, McMahon - 67, Trubisky - 64, Kramer - 63, Ed Brown - 63.

Yards / Attempt (min 100 attempts): Luckman - 8.4, Bernie Masterson - 8.2, McCown - 8.0, Ed Brown - 7.8, Johnny Lujack - 7.8.

Yards/Completion (min 100 completions): Bernie Masterson - 21.6, Luckman - 16.2, Ed Brown - 16.0, Johnny Lujack - 15.6, Mike Tomczak - 13.8.

It's freaking embarrassing that the Bears don't have several modern players on this list. I never fully realized the awesomeness that was Bernie Masterson. Of course, in the 1930s, the passing game basically consisted of seeing if your WR could outrun their DB/Safety and then throw him the ball, so those numbers will be different. But Sid Luckman still being 3rd on the passes attempted list - that shows how bad we've been at drafting QBs since then. Trubisky is 4th, and he only played for us for parts of 4 years.

Hopefully, Fields name will be on these lists within 5 years, and near the top of all of them when he retires. He could literally rewrite the record books for Bears QBs.

Reactions: Myk

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
First, all NFL teams have their scheme and fit players into it, just like Nagy. Very few, if any, are completely adaptable.

Which leads to point #2: In order to truly fit the scheme to the talent, you would have to be really-developing a good portion of your scheme every season, to fit your new FAs and draft picks. That would hinder a lot more than it would help, as NFL schemes aren’t exactly easy to learn, and players play better the longer they have been in the same system.

Every team has their scheme, and they work to bring in players to fit it. Then that scheme can be tweaked a bit to account for a special talent/skill set, which can make the overall scheme even better. But the idea of developing the scheme completely around the talent...it’s a myth.

I guess what I’m saying though is that Nagy is lost. Foles Dalton Trubisky have almost nothing in common with each other which makes you wonder which scheme the players he selected to work with were an actual fit in his scheme.

I love the Fields pick, but am I to believe that Fields is here to run a scheme that Foles was expected to run? Or dalton?

My guess is we see more failed zone read plays because the NFL geared up to defend it with nickel packages and faster smaller linebackers.

We’re back to guessing. I love the Bears. But the identity of the team is on Matt Nagy, and he comes off absolutely clueless!

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Marshall Fields
Brookfield
Soldier Field
Field Museum
Justin Fields

It was destiny boys
What about Wrigley Field? Also note that the original name of O'Hare airport was Old Orchard Field, hence the three letter abbreviation ORD.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Us true chicagoans pour one out for miegs field while we honor victory auto wreckers!