1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Yeah it feels like a rebuild....

But you can do that in 2-3 years.

Hell I'm one of the most negative fuckers around and I still think they can even make the playoffs next year if a lot goes their way.

You have the building bocks for a playoff caliber defense.

You have a QB that you pray is the guy.

You certainly have the RB's and you have one legit WR.

That being said if the staff sucks and Fields doesn't take the next step you could be looking at a top 5 pick too. But that's just the NFL.
Yep, and if it's a top 5 pick, you either take an impact offensive/defensive line man or if you're not sold on Fields, you take a QB.

Just gotta hope they commit to a plan, whichever way they go, and go execute it. Easier said than done.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Fired the gm and hc and you just figured out we in a rebuild lol lol ?‍♂️

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
If they trade Quinn (like I hope with his value the highest it'll ever be), then they're rebuilding. If they're keeping him, then they may just try to go for it over the next 2 seasons while "hopefully" not giving out a bunch of big contracts longer than this year and next year.

NFC looks wide open without Brady and potentially Rodgers so they may feel like their defense could be good enough to get into the playoff and do better than expected. Regardless of whether they go for it or go full rebuild, I just hope they don't half ass it. Commit to the plan, whatever they decide, and stick with it.

When I think about it, I'm willing to bring back Hicks/Ogletree/Nichols/Bush/Houston-Carlson, and restructure Goldman/Mack/Jackson/Whitehair to keep the D together for two or three years to buy time to re-tool.

Trade Quinn for draft capital, go with Mack/Gipson at OLB while looking for more developmental talent. The CB room has a lot of maybes behind Johnson. Maybe one of Burns/Graham emerge as the CB2. The Bears need to get Jackson back to FS and find a SS.

They need to really get a C and a T for the O-Line, they need to get Graham back for another year or two for the TE room, and they need WRs for Fields. The RB room looks like a legit 1-2-3 punch behind Fields. so, build for a run-heavy offense for 2022, and work to get more picks for 2023.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t agree with the logic of creating holes at edge by trading Mack or Quinn. You won’t make up in draft capital what you’re giving up at a premium position.

There are roster holes that need to be filled, but plug in a coach who knows what he’s doing and we’re not as far away as some might think—especially if Fields hits.

The trick will be not blowing our cash on a player or two in the short term. We already have most premium positions filled and just need to get back to a healthy cap situation.

We’d do better to spend wisely in the secondary, add a couple quality WRs and possibly a starter on the OL.

We may have a future starter or two already on the roster but unfortunately Nagy screwed the team by not playing young guys like Graham, Jenkins, and Newsome so we could evaluate them properly.

Acquiring blue chip players via the draft should be the focus going forward. That allows you to move on from your aging big name players like Mack and Quinn without bottoming out.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
It's not a true rebuild until they start shedding veterans that are still productive or shipping them off for picks.

But ultimately all that matters is what they do on the field. So people can label shit whatever they want. What matters is how the team plays and develops.
Last word is key. Nagy didn’t develop shit

BigBill

Liked Posts:
This is worse then a rebuild. In a rebuild the coaches attempt to rebuild the players roster. The problem is the coaches...every coach is learning a new job! Nobody experienced in their position. Teddy has created a giant clusterfvck.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
we should trade Brandon Marshall again

Reactions: Myk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is worse then a rebuild. In a rebuild the coaches attempt to rebuild the players roster. The problem is the coaches...every coach is learning a new job! Nobody experienced in their position. Teddy has created a giant clusterfvck.

You are acting like all this people have to learn brain surgery from scratch

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Its typically the case when you bring in a new GM and HC. Lets see what they actually do in FA and the draft.

But a lot of us have watched this team and looked at this roster and thought rebuild was on the horizon. I really hope they didn't go from one "all in " regime to another.

Installing new defense. Installing new offense. Tons of needs. Short of draft cap. You're not turning this into a deep playoff run roster in one off-season with all of that turnover, barring miracle work.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Pace's undoing was blowing his load in 2018 thinking the Bears were all in then. that's when the money and draft trades started getting especially stupid. for little return.

granted by 2018 that was 4 years into his operation, Bears should've been in a better position. I'll defend Pace to a point, but when you miss on multiple 1st and 2nd round picks that are relatively high because the team was losing so much for years, that's inexcusable. it doesn't matter how many late round gems you find. those gems might work for the Bears, they're probably not starting for at least 2/3 of teams in the league.

misguided, shortsighted, whatever. I like the moves they've made the last couple weeks. we'll see in a few months.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Oh, a hundred percent.

As part of that, I’m not expecting any splashy free agents. Maybe a solid receiver to help Fields develop.

Not being in contention and growing older and older, they’re going to have to shed the contracts of some of their biggest cap hits (Mack, Trevathan, Foles, Quinn, Jackson), but can’t really do that until next year unless they find some trade takers.

I think most of us are viewing this coming year as Fields’ “real” rookie year, the year when his real development going forward can begin. So Fields will be an up-and-down ride no matter how you slice it, I think.

There’s no evidence to suggest the talent assembled can be contenders. They’re getting older. And the Bears don’t yet have the ability to properly replenish that talent. It’s not ideal. You would like to contend while your QB is in his rookie contract. I don’t see that happening, at least for the next couple of years.

This feels like a long-term deal, and it’s probably needed.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Yeah it feels like a rebuild....

But you can do that in 2-3 years.

Hell I'm one of the most negative fuckers around and I still think they can even make the playoffs next year if a lot goes their way.

You have the building bocks for a playoff caliber defense.

You have a QB that you pray is the guy.

You certainly have the RB's and you have one legit WR.

That being said if the staff sucks and Fields doesn't take the next step you could be looking at a top 5 pick too. But that's just the NFL.

This is pretty much spot on. There's some big unknowns but if Fields is who we hope he is and Floosy can perennially run a top ten defense they will be in contention every year. Those are big ifs, but certainly feasible.

If Fields is mediocre I don't care what they do with the rest of the roster, they'll be mediocre.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's not forget that at least on paper the Bengals are still rebuilding. 4-11-1 last year and 2-14 the year before drafting Burrow, and still putting a garbage o-line on the field as they roll into the Superbowl.

I'm not trying to say the Bears should try to copy that model (and it's too late anyway since Taylor and Eberflus are like polar opposites).

But yeah a scheme here, a player there, and a great leap forward for Fields could make the Bears relevant again in one off season.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Let's not forget that at least on paper the Bengals are still rebuilding. 4-11-1 last year and 2-14 the year before drafting Burrow, and still putting a garbage o-line on the field as they roll into the Superbowl.

I'm not trying to say the Bears should try to copy that model (and it's too late anyway since Taylor and Eberflus are like polar opposites).

But yeah a scheme here, a player there, and a great leap forward for Fields could make the Bears relevant again in one off season.
Very good point. Plus, with the 7-team playoff formats sticking around, even rebuilding teams will remain in playoff contention longer, which at least makes rebuilding seasons more tolerable and entertaining.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Next year is kinda fucked due to our cap, scheme change and WR/DB situation. The good thing about having so few players signed is that the scheme turnover can come more quickly but while we can be respectable next year, it shouldn't be until 2023 until we see the fruits of this change. If this team shows up strong next year, this staff is a big win.