Fields and What is Best for Him

Romo27

Liked Posts:
I'm fine with Fields continuing to start, but I have an issue with what happened on Sunday. In his postgame presser, someone asked Nagy if he considered putting Dalton in at any point, when it was obvious that Fields wasn't getting time to do anything constructive. He said that it never crossed his mind. That can be taken a couple of ways. First, he left Fields in so that he could learn, and that's valid. But, I also think that part of his thinking is that he was forced to name Fields QB1. He wanted Dalton in that role, not Fields. Knowing how stubborn he is, and how he thinks he's smarter than everyone else in the room, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that he left Fields in to show those who forced him to play Fields how unready he is to be QB1. If Fields gets killed or suffers a season or career ending injury in process, so be it. I think that he needs to prove that he was right, and they're all wrong. In his mind, I think Nagy has a vision of Fields failing so spectacularly that fans and management acknowledge that Dalton is the one true QB1, and that he will be able to restore him to his rightful place once everyone realizes that Nagy always knew better than them.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm fine with Fields continuing to start, but I have an issue with what happened on Sunday. In his postgame presser, someone asked Nagy if he considered putting Dalton in at any point, when it was obvious that Fields wasn't getting time to do anything constructive. He said that it never crossed his mind. That can be taken a couple of ways. First, he left Fields in so that he could learn, and that's valid. But, I also think that part of his thinking is that he was forced to name Fields QB1. He wanted Dalton in that role, not Fields. Knowing how stubborn he is, and how he thinks he's smarter than everyone else in the room, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that he left Fields in to show those who forced him to play Fields how unready he is to be QB1. If Fields gets killed or suffers a season or career ending injury in process, so be it. I think that he needs to prove that he was right, and they're all wrong. In his mind, I think Nagy has a vision of Fields failing so spectacularly that fans and management acknowledge that Dalton is the one true QB1, and that he will be able to restore him to his rightful place once everyone realizes that Nagy always knew better than them.
You don't just pull Fields like that unless you think you can turn the tides. The game was already gone in the 1st quarter. You also help him with play calling so still a fail.

Nagy is not trying to prove anything about which should start. he won't save his job or get his next one by being a dick to management while losing embarrassingly.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think you're combining 2 different questions, which are:

1. is it better for Fields development to play or to sit and study?
2. Given the historically high sack rating, is it dangerous to his health for him to continue playing?

In my mind the answer to number 1 is that you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube once its out.

Number 2 is - yes it is dangerous to his health if he keeps taking sacks and hits at this rate and coaching staff needs to mitigate how much wear and tear he takes going forward. Even if that means not sending out 4-5 WRs on routes even though you reaaaaally want to because you totally drew up the best route combo ever, Mr. Nagy.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
This post is pretty dumb. Nagy said what any coach would say. No ulterior motive here no matter how much we dislike Nagy

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The QBs who succed starting their first year were the most pro ready QBs of their draft. Fields was never that. If the bears drafted Lawrence it would be a different scenario but they didn't.

For example Luck Manning Watson etc
How are you determining that Lawrence is ready to start but Fields isn't?

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Nagy wasn't an idiot they would tailor game plans to mask their issues and minimize his exposure to hits. Let the kid play and hope someone with halve a brain takes over next year

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
You're cherry picking two of the better QBs we've seen in the past 20 years. Now do all of the QBs drafted who sat and didn't pan out
I'm not sure if Rodgers is even a good example. he was probably the most NFL ready QB coming into that draft.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Packers let Rodgers sit and now they're letting Love sit. Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith. But what do those guys know about developing QBs the bears are usually better at this kind of stuff.

And??? Justin Herbert, Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen say hello....

Common denominator?? None of those organizations are the Bears. If it's not divine intervention from the Lord your Savior himself... then the Bears will NEVER have a Star QB. Sitting him for a year isn't going to change that. Let him take those lumps... if he has the intestinal fortitude to turn all of that into motivation like the sports world says he does... then this won't even be an issue after Nagy is gone.