Fields Day 1 Starter.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Agreed on all counts.

It will matter when our bye week falls as well. It would be nice to get 4 or 5 games in just to make sure the OL has gelled and can give Fields a bye week prior to his first start- if applicable of course. I'd rather see Fields in the first half of the season rather than waiting until the 2nd half.
But I'd rather not see the Bears fall into a 1-5/0-6 hole 'just because' either.

The first mistake Dalton makes, there will be boing. And the longer Fields sits on that bench, regardless if he's ready or not, its just gonna get louder and louder. This is the Mike Glennon year all over again.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
But I'd rather not see the Bears fall into a 1-5/0-6 hole 'just because' either.

The first mistake Dalton makes, there will be boing. And the longer Fields sits on that bench, regardless if he's ready or not, its just gonna get louder and louder. This is the Mike Glennon year all over again.

You could be right and we'll all probably want to see Fields in the first game having seen Dalton last year. However, I don't think he'll be anywhere near as bad as Dalton and that offense was.

We'll see, but I really don't. With that being said- yeah a 1-3 or 2-4 start could call for Fields even if it wasn't the perfect situation for him to play.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
There is no need to rush him.

I would start Dalton 4-6 games no matter what.

-We will have a lot of changes on the OL.
-Perhaps a new WR3
-Big changes on offense now that we can burn the Mitch training wheels offense.

Let Dalton start the season and get all that shot sorted out and than go to Fields when he is ready.

So no matter how good is he he sits ?

because Dalton ...Dalton what ? You guys are talking as if Dalton has been here years Dalton is just as new to the Bears as Fields his first day in practice will also Fields first day in practice in this new system.

The changes will be new for everyone and there is no guarantee Dalton will play well on the new system hell Dalton ant actually played well since John Fox was coaching the Bears .

Its just as bad to purposely hold him back and stunt his growth as it is to rush him which is why his talent and abilities should decide between now and September

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did you only get to watch the draft on Thursday? Lol. We got some good OL help after that, kiddo.
I'd still give some games for the OL to gel and Fields to acclimate to the NFL grind/routine etc.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Lawrence is starting
Wilson is starting
Fields needs to be starting

Varking

Enigma
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Toronto FC
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Carolina Panthers
  1. Colorado Avalanche
  1. Florida Gators
Make him earn the job. Competition will do him well. If he absolutely demolishes camp and preseason and Dalton looks horrific then I’m all for it. If it’s even kind of close then just let Dalton start. Fields doesn’t need to be rushed out there.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let the best QB start week 1 whoever that may be. If it is Fields then let him play. Bengals and Chargers both had worse lines than the Bears and our line should be better this year with Jenkins and the competition we have created.
Thanks Remy. Good post. Best man starts. End of thread.

pnch40

Liked Posts:
ktlommukvpw61.jpg
Legends

Such a fan boy post. Pat is the only one that belongs in the same book as mj. Kid hasn’t played a down and you have him in a picture with the greatest bb player ever. Stupid

Toast88

Liked Posts:
For reference, the Texans gave starter Tom Savage one half of football before switching to Deshaun Watson in Week 1.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

If the Bears are that bad with Dalton, they aren’t going to be much, if any, better with Fields at the helm. That type of record would mean the entire thing is a train wreck, and I don’t want to put my shiny new QB in a train wreck early on...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For reference, the Texans gave starter Tom Savage one half of football before switching to Deshaun Watson in Week 1.
Key words are Tom Savage. I don't think Nagy is going to be into 'run around and wing it' mode with his new QB. It appears the Fields is intelligent so he may not need long but you don't want to start him until the team is ready to support success in system and that will be a least a few games. Might have a new slot and OL guys along with a more complete scheme.

Andy's new but has seen it all and while not fast (slow) is not immobile. No adjusting for dumb or mopey so run most of the playbook and hopefully, all will know what they're doing when Fields shows up. I'd really like to see them support Andy and then Justin with a solid run, dink ad dunk game. You'd think it's in the cards with this draft but can Nagy stay on task?

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
of all the qb's in the draft he has the most experience and nfl ready now.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Brady sat
Rodgers sat
Mahomes sat

Fields will follow that pattern because he's here for the long term and it's an investment to have a college player take time to learn systems and develop a relationship with team mates rather than have their confidence shot to pieces by being thrown in too soon.

It's also the smart move for Nagy and his coaching staff - they have a year to develop the guy and it ultimately protects their contracts with the Bears for at least another season. Fields goes in and crashes and burns, Nagy is out mid season. Why would he or his staff take that risk when you have a future superstar on your roster???

Based on the schedule the Bears have coming, for the overall developmental needs of the team, and to safeguard the future of the franchise, it makes sense for Fields to sit and learn (Pace has said as much) and I hope the front office is robust in protecting this guy from meathead fans who will no doubt be booing Andy Dalton before he takes his first snap as a Bear - it's that mentality that has hamstrung the franchise for years.

This kid could/should be the reason the Bears are perennial playoff/Superbowl contenders for the next 10/15 years unless the team somehow manage to derail that process by being too slapdash in managing his professional development because the fanbase is too impatient to allow the team to make the most of his obvious potential.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I didn’t say I agree with it. Only that’s what I think Nagy will do.
Good point. We have to keep in mind that Pace and Nagy probably don't look at Dalton the way you and I look at Dalton. Maybe to Nagy, Dalton's pretty similar to Smith. A scary thought, I know....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good point. We have to keep in mind that Pace and Nagy probably don't look at Dalton the way you and I look at Dalton. Maybe to Nagy, Dalton's pretty similar to Smith. A scary thought, I know....

I think it has more to do with Nagy's process. He sticks to his identity even if it costs him.
If Nagy believes that Fields should sit automatically he will.

As we get closer to the season we will see his mindset. If he says that Fields has a chance to win the job, I'll take him at his word.