Fields Development Goals

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No that's a time stamp for the video. I'm watching the drop back real time and counting the time in the pocket (also from snap to throw). When I played.....we were taught '1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000' etc, I used those video time stamps here in link #49

Yes its a timestamp of the video and that is more accurate then you counting in your head.

So again I'm going by what I learned about Qb time in the pocket count down from coaches. The count is different
than a YT time stamp. I'll try to find a link for it.

Last edited:

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
So again I'm going by what I learned about Qb time in the pocket count down from coaches. The count is different
And that's irrelevant for comparison to other QBs and how long they take to throw. Time to throw is a stat that's based on reality not counting in your head.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
And that's irrelevant for comparison to other QBs and how long they take to throw. Time to throw is a stat that's based on reality not counting in your head.

It's not a 1-2-3 seconds count. It's 1-1000 count. I'll try to get u info on it.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
It's not a 1-2-3 seconds count. It's 1-1000 count. I'll try to get u info on it.
I know.. you dont need to give in info. an inaccurate counting is pointless for debate (what we are doing) and pointless for comparison to other QBS (also what we are doing)

You counted his pocked time for 2 seconds.. I just rewatched it and counted 1-1000 7 times before he ran.. an inaccurate counting is pointless when there is an actual timer. Timers do not have human error. There is no point in debating based on a flawed counting when there is an accurate timer. The ball was snapped when the time stamp of the video clicked over to :21, there is no reason to count unless you are purposefully trying to fudge the numbers.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The reality is Fields time to throw is 3.4 seconds which leads the NFL by a significant margin.

Regardless of the bad OL, he is clearly holding the ball too long.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah we have had this debate before and we aren't going to agree on this. Processing for me is making the right read which I think he does. His issue for me is hesitation ie not pulling the trigger. That is not processing for me.

3M had problems reading defenses period. It wasn't until year 4 that we got to the point where it seemed he would be staring at the right read but then hesitating. For the first couple of years he was basically just a 1 read QB.
I agree with this but not pulling and going off a read is ultimately making the wrong one as well.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree with this but not pulling and going off a read is ultimately making the wrong one as well.

Well I make a distinction between being able to read a defense and being decisive with the ball.

Fields can read a D as far as I can tell. The issue right now is he is not decisive in where he wants to do with the ball.

By contrast the first few years 3M struggled with reading a D and once he appeared to get better with that, he struggled pulling the trigger.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well I make a distinction between being able to read a defense and being decisive with the ball.

Fields can read a D as far as I can tell. The issue right now is he is not decisive in where he wants to do with the ball.

By contrast the first few years 3M struggled with reading a D and once he appeared to get better with that, he struggled pulling the trigger.
I find it difficult to make that distinction simply because we're not inside his head. He's looking in the right spots but we can't know what he's reading in terms of protections and spacing.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Preseason my man. Teams don't often show their hand in preseason, so its all vanilla coverages, light pressure on the o-line, etc.

Everyone is just trying to make it out of preseason uninjured.

The thing to take from it though, is that when given time, it does look like Fields CAN do it. I only say that because there are guys who look like dog shit in preseason as well *cough* Mitch *cough*, so Fields has a lot higher floor.

But with the line being what it is, I don't see how we are going to get anything consistent out of Fields this year.

I keep bringing up 2 recent examples of players who people were calling a bust in year 1 | year 2, only to blossom when they got talent around them, in Allen and Hurts.

Does that mean Fields is the next one? You don't know until you know. But one thing he still has is that deep ball accuracy, which is such a commodity that I think it buys him time beyond this year as they put players around him.

Looking forward to all the raging from the "Fields is a bust/Never should have gotten rid of Mitch" crew when the Bears get a high pick in next year's draft, and the Bears don't pick up the next great white hope at QB but a WR or Left Tackle instead...

A. There is no “never should have gotten rid of Mitch crew”. This is something you’re making up.

B. Why throw race in there? (Not to mention the two best QB prospects are black so it doesn’t even make sense)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I find it difficult to make that distinction simply because we're not inside his head. He's looking in the right spots but we can't know what he's reading in terms of protections and spacing.

Well we have some insight as he talks thru plays quite a bit when asked like the example I posted in this thread. He does not come off as someone struggling to make the read but rather someone that needs to be more decisive.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
A. There is no “never should have gotten rid of Mitch crew”. This is something you’re making up.

B. Why throw race in there? (Not to mention the two best QB prospects are black so it doesn’t even make sense)
@Mighty Joe Young so you’re not going to defend yourself? Not surprising I guess.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Preseason my man. Teams don't often show their hand in preseason, so its all vanilla coverages, light pressure on the o-line, etc.

Everyone is just trying to make it out of preseason uninjured.

The thing to take from it though, is that when given time, it does look like Fields CAN do it. I only say that because there are guys who look like dog shit in preseason as well *cough* Mitch *cough*, so Fields has a lot higher floor.

But with the line being what it is, I don't see how we are going to get anything consistent out of Fields this year.

I keep bringing up 2 recent examples of players who people were calling a bust in year 1 | year 2, only to blossom when they got talent around them, in Allen and Hurts.

Does that mean Fields is the next one? You don't know until you know. But one thing he still has is that deep ball accuracy, which is such a commodity that I think it buys him time beyond this year as they put players around him.

Looking forward to all the raging from the "Fields is a bust/Never should have gotten rid of Mitch" crew when the Bears get a high pick in next year's draft, and the Bears don't pick up the next great white hope at QB but a WR or Left Tackle instead...

You always make up a strawman and work your way backwards to make your arguments, dont you?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is another one where again Mooney made a mistake but Fields still had a play to be made.

MooneySeam.png

It’s a four-vertical play, one that’s familiar from last season, when Matt Nagy was coach. Mooney said he still had that in mind. It was called “special.” In it, if you see Cover 2, which the Giants were in, you split up the seam. Mooney did that.

“That’s how it was last year,” Mooney said. “But we have the same name, the same play.”

Under offensive coordinator Luke Getsy, Mooney needed to bend his route over the middle more and toward the right safety in coverage. He didn’t do that.

“And that’s where (Fields) was looking for me at,” Mooney said.

MooneySeam.png

“That’s a very basic play; that’s just … a four-vertical play,” he said. “Mooney, on that one, is supposed to be bending across the formation. He’s supposed to be bending across. He was not supposed to go vertical. I think that kind of caught (Fields) off guard a little bit, but he certainly had time on that.”

“He certainly had time and could’ve rode the pocket a little bit more,” Eberflus said. “But he decided to take it because what we were telling him is to take the checkdown or run on that when they’re in that defense.”

“Get your eyes downfield and see what you see and take what they give you,” Eberflus said. “Certainly have to do that for sure.”

Just another one where Fields is in his head a little bit. Mooney is out of place and he is coached to take the checkdown or scramble if they get that D but as Flus says, he had the time to actually just take what the D is giving him which is clearly Mooney over the top. But these are the plays that give you hope that if he just gets out of his head a little bit he can take a leap. These are not hard adjustments to make. He just needs to understand the coaching is there as a guide post but you still have to react to what the D is presenting to you. At the same time, Mooney needs to stop fucking up his routes as it is probably hard for Fields to pull the trigger there as he is probably saying to himself he doesn't know if Mooney is going to stay vertical or if he is going to bend late. But given the two safeties are in no position to make a play on the ball, you gotta let it rip and if Mooney fucks it up then so be it.

Attachments

• Mooney3.png
    Mooney3.png
    516.6 KB · Views: 2

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@Mighty Joe Young so you’re not going to defend yourself? Not surprising I guess.

If you are doing that, then its obvious you are just trolling - so fuck off.

Besides, you still haven't had a good enough argument to get around what I already said - so why don't you start there first?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If you are doing that, then its obvious you are just trolling - so fuck off.

Besides, you still haven't had a good enough argument to get around what I already said - so why don't you start there first?
If I’m doing what? Specify.

What did you already say? I literally have no idea what you’re rambling on about.

You mentioned “Never should have gotten rid of Mitch crew”

That’s the first thing I bolded and replied to. Please name at least two people who say we never should have gotten rid of Mitch. It’s a simple thing if there really is a crew. Let us know who’s a member.

You also said “next great white hope at QB”

This is the comment that made me reply. Why are you interjecting race into the QB discussion?

All I’m doing is using YOUR WORDS…. And asking why? If you think using YOUR WORDS is trolling then I really don’t know what else to say.

Sevendaymelee

Liked Posts:
dumb take

he could very easily be a backup and collect more money in a year than you make in 20, for the next 10 years
First off, if you're going to say someone is dumb, or clam that something that've said is dumb, at least take the time to use proper capitalization and grammar so you don't look like a kettle making fun of other kettles.

Second, you don't know how much money I make. For all you know, I could be a very financially-successful person, using a burner account.

And lastly, who cares how much money he makes? You can't take money with you when you die. The only thing that lasts is your legacy. And I doubt Fields, whether rich or not, wants to leave this earth without one, or to be thought of as a colossal failure who couldn't get the job done.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
First off, if you're going to say someone is dumb, or clam that something that've said is dumb, at least take the time to use proper capitalization and grammar so you don't look like a kettle making fun of other kettles.

Second, you don't know how much money I make. For all you know, I could be a very financially-successful person, using a burner account.

And lastly, who cares how much money he makes? You can't take money with you when you die. The only thing that lasts is your legacy. And I doubt Fields, whether rich or not, wants to leave this earth without one, or to be thought of as a colossal failure who couldn't get the job done.
1. it's a messageboard so maybe stfu instead of talking about proper English. thanks

2. You type like a brokeboi and why would a wealthy person need a "burner account?" LOL! If you actually make more than 18MM in the next 20 years that's great but Justin makes that in FOUR years, off his contract alone. What do you think he'll make in 6 more, total? What job is it that you have, what investments do you have, that you believe you'll make in 20 years what someone who made 11MM+ just last year? Are you telling me that you make $500,000 a year currently? TIA in advance for your response to this.

3. I care, and apparently YOU also care how much money he makes because your SECOND point in your post indicates such. ALSO MONEY IS LITERALLY PART OF SOMEONE'S LEGACY. IT DOESN'T TAKE AN ENGLISH MAJOR TO KNOW THIS.

Thanks for the reply anyways, even if you're mad.