Fields Development Goals

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let me start off by saying this team is not very talented and will need massive improvement at OL and WR going forward. Let me also say the focus of this post is not to say Fields is a bust. It is to point out what incremental improvements he needs to make over the last 13 games.

Mills is 2nd in the NFL with 2.42 time to throw. Lawrence is 3rd with 2.46. Highly mobile Kyler Murray is 4th with 2.51. Justin Fields is last in NFL with 3.40. There is no QB that has ever been successful with that time to throw not even Lamar. The dude takes almost a full second longer than Mills and Lawrence to get rid of the ball. It isn't sustainable in the modern NFL.

Now is part of that WRs not getting open sure. But looking at the film a lot of that is Fields not throwing to guys who are open underneath. Fields air yards per attempt is 5th in the NFL. His completion percent adjusted for drops is last in NFL at 59.7%. This isn't rocket science. If you are throwing further down the Field but being unsuccessful with it then the solution is to throw it shorter particularly if those guys are open. Take the checkdown. Stop trying to be a hero and win the game yourself.

Fields has the highest percentage of pressure that turns into sacks at 32%. His pocket awareness is terrible. There are times he clearly can step up or scramble one way but choses to scramble the other way and runs himself into a sack. This is born out by the fact that Fields is 2nd in the NFL with respects to sacks where the QB is deemed to be responsble for his own sack. He is first in the NFL in total pressures that are the QBs fault. Finally he is 2nd in terms of percentage of total pressures that is the QBs fault ie 27%. You know who leads or is 2nd in those categories? Mental Midget Mitch.

In short, Fields has issues beyond the protection and the WRs. He has the highest time to throw of any QB by a wide margin which is evidence he is holding the ball way too long. This is backed up by his air yards per pass which is top 5 and the fact he is judged to have caused the highest percentage of his sacks and pressures other than 3M. He can improve these things regardless of the OL amd WR. So I dont care about the passing yards and TDs. What I want to see from Fields is the following:

1. Time to throw dropping below 3 seconds to around 2.75. To achieve that he needs to:

2. Take the fucking checkdown. It is not sexy but it works. Josh Allen went from leading the NFL in air yards per attempt to being 28th this year. He became elite by realizing the checkdown is your friend as a big game hunter. Work the underneath game and attack deep when the D starts to crowd the underneath stuff.

3. Throw or scramble at end of drop. Period. There is no more waiting and hoping something deeper develops. You either throw it to someone or get out of the fucking pocket. He is creating 27% of the pressure against him holding the ball too long and it has to stop.

You survive in the NFL by stacking positive plays however small. Fields needs to embrace this idea or he will not survive and embracing this has fuck all to do with Getsy, the OL or WRs. He has to committ to it. Not anyone else.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Well said.
These aren’t slow ass Big Ten defenses that he’s facing.
If he does have Hot Reads, he sure as hell ain’t using them. Problem is that JF was pretty terrible under pressure while at OSU so I’m starting to think he’s another Mitch

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It’s hard to fix the issues that he has. It’s very close to “you either have it or you don’t.” Not to say he can’t improve, but we’ll see. Cutler had similar issues that he couldn’t fix.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Isn't that one of the things that Walsh came up with for the WCO 'if the big play isn't there it's a check down' ....

I can't find the footage but I swear Holmgren or Reid talk about it in a documentary.

Foot work, timing etc and so on ...

Hmm seem to be a ton of fundamental issues here both with him and the O as a whole.

(all imo)

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Field(s Development) Goals

If we take out the parentheses part for just a second, I'd like to give a huge shout out to the scoring machine known as Michael Badgley for continuing the Chicago Bears points-scoring tradition yesterday with a 100% success rate.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Good post. What worries me most about Fields is that he has no composure right now. In the preseason you could see him going through his progressions and making a decision and now he looks like a deer in headlights again.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Good post. What worries me most about Fields is that he has no composure right now. In the preseason you could see him going through his progressions and making a decision and now he looks like a deer in headlights again.
He looks visibly defeated tbh. No confidence or composure at all. Not sure how you can have any success playing so meek

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think you identified what is in my mind Fields' biggest mental issue: homerun hunting. Always looking for the long ball is just as bad as always checking down (this is Mitch), he needs to be selectively aggressive. Particularly with his slide style, I also think Fields needs to focus on limiting how much contact he himself takes - over the course of the game more often than not Bears are going to want Fields to throw a 3 yard checkdown over scrambling (late) for 5 yards but taking a shot to the ribs/shoulder/head. I think Fields needs to quickly make strides in this area because his current style of play combined with his penchant for taking dome shots on slides means he has a much higher likelyhood of injury if he doesnt start limiting the hits he takes. Im also still baffled that they werent able to break his slide habit considering it was on tape all of last year and is one of the easier fixs possible for a QB to make.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Let me start off by saying this team is not very talented and will need massive improvement at OL and WR going forward. Let me also say the focus of this post is not to say Fields is a bust. It is to point what incremental improvements he needs to make over the last 13 games.

Mills is 2nd in NFL with 2.42 time to throw. Lawrence is 3rd with 2.46. Highly mobile Kyler Murray is 4th with 2.51. Justin Fields is last in NFL with 3.40. There is no QB that has ever been successful with that time to throw not even Lamar. The dude takes almost a full second longer than Mills and Lawrence to get rid of the ball. It isn't sustainable in the modern NFL.

Now is part of that WRs not getting open sure. But looking at the film a lot of that is Fields not throwing to guys who are open underneath. Fields air yards per attempt is 5th in the NFL. His completion percent adjusted for drops is last in NFL at 59.7%. This isn't rocket science, if you are throwing further down the Field but being unsuccessful with it then the solution is to throw it shorter particularly of those guys are open. Take the checkdown. Stop trying to be a hero and win the game yourself.

Fields has the highest percentage of pressure that turns into sacks at 32%. Hos pocket awareness is terrible. There are times he clear can step up or scramble one way bit choses to scramble the other way and runs himself into a sack. This is born out by the fact that Fields is 2nd in the NFL with respects sacks where the QB is deemed to be responsble for his own sack. He is first in the NFL on total pressures that are the QBs fault. Finally he is 2nd in terms of percentage of total pressures that is the QBs fault ie 27. You know who leads or is 2nd in those categories. Mental Midget Mitch.
In short, Fields has issues beyond the protection and the WRs. He has the highest time to throw of any QB by a wide margin which is evidencw he is holding the ball way too long. This is backed up by his air yards per pass which is top 5 and the fact he is jidged to have caused the highest percentage of his sacks and pressures other than Mitch Trubisky. He can improve these things regardless of the OL amd WR. So I dont care about the passing yards and TDs. What I want to see from Fields is the following:

1. Time to throw dropping below 3 seconds to around 2.75. To achieve that he needs to:

2. Take the fucking checkdown. It is not sexy but it works. Josh Allen went from leading the NFL in air yards per attempt to being 28th this year. He became elite by realizing the checkdown is your friend as a big game hunter. Work the underneath game and attack deep when the D starts to crowd the underneath stuff.

3. Throw or scramble at end of drop. Period. There is no more waiting and hoping something deeper develops. You either throw it to someone or get out of the fucking point. He is creating 27% of the pressure against him holding the ball too long and it has to stop.

You survive in the NFL by stacking positive plays however small. Fields needs to embrace this idea or he will not survive and embracing this has fuck all to do with Getsy, OL or WRs. He has to committ to it. Not anyone else.
Do you think Fields was a little bit better yesterday than the prior 2 games? I thought he was, especially in the 2nd quarter. Maybe he can go through these growing pains while slightly getting better to the point where next year, we can be all in with the cap space and high draft picks.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Fields may be one of the those guys that shouldn't have seen the field so early. Constant pressure has changed him. The calmness he showed in the preseason is absolutely gone. I hope he can get that back but its tough when you are getting successfully A gap blitzed all the time.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It’s hard to fix the issues that he has. It’s very close to “you either have it or you don’t.” Not to say he can’t improve, but we’ll see. Cutler had similar issues that he couldn’t fix.

Disagree as this is an easy fix for me. Just a change in mentality. 3Ms problem was he sucked throwing deep so teams could crowd the short stuff and thus he was fucked and had trouble reading defenses that clogged the underneath passing game.

Fields cab hurt you deep but right now teams can clamp down on the deep stuff and rely on the fact Fields is too impatient to just take what the D gives.

Mahomes had a similar problem early last year when teams sat in Cover 2 to take away Hill and the deep stuff. Took him a few games to realize he had to stop hunting the big plays and just take what the D gives him.

I don't think this is an issue of him struggling to read defenses which is a bigger issue. He just has to accept a lot of 3 and 4 yard gains instead if waiting on 15 and 20 yard routes to open up.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Let me start off by saying this team is not very talented and will need massive improvement at OL and WR going forward. Let me also say the focus of this post is not to say Fields is a bust. It is to point what incremental improvements he needs to make over the last 13 games.

Mills is 2nd in NFL with 2.42 time to throw. Lawrence is 3rd with 2.46. Highly mobile Kyler Murray is 4th with 2.51. Justin Fields is last in NFL with 3.40. There is no QB that has ever been successful with that time to throw not even Lamar. The dude takes almost a full second longer than Mills and Lawrence to get rid of the ball. It isn't sustainable in the modern NFL.

Now is part of that WRs not getting open sure. But looking at the film a lot of that is Fields not throwing to guys who are open underneath. Fields air yards per attempt is 5th in the NFL. His completion percent adjusted for drops is last in NFL at 59.7%. This isn't rocket science, if you are throwing further down the Field but being unsuccessful with it then the solution is to throw it shorter particularly of those guys are open. Take the checkdown. Stop trying to be a hero and win the game yourself.

Fields has the highest percentage of pressure that turns into sacks at 32%. Hos pocket awareness is terrible. There are times he clear can step up or scramble one way bit choses to scramble the other way and runs himself into a sack. This is born out by the fact that Fields is 2nd in the NFL with respects sacks where the QB is deemed to be responsble for his own sack. He is first in the NFL on total pressures that are the QBs fault. Finally he is 2nd in terms of percentage of total pressures that is the QBs fault ie 27. You know who leads or is 2nd in those categories. Mental Midget Mitch.
In short, Fields has issues beyond the protection and the WRs. He has the highest time to throw of any QB by a wide margin which is evidencw he is holding the ball way too long. This is backed up by his air yards per pass which is top 5 and the fact he is jidged to have caused the highest percentage of his sacks and pressures other than Mitch Trubisky. He can improve these things regardless of the OL amd WR. So I dont care about the passing yards and TDs. What I want to see from Fields is the following:

3. Throw or scramble at end of drop. Period. There is no more waiting and hoping something deeper develops. You either throw it to someone or get out of the fucking point. He is creating 27% of the pressure against him holding the ball too long and it has to stop.

You survive in the NFL by stacking positive plays however small. Fields needs to embrace this idea or he will not survive and embracing this has fuck all to do with Getsy, OL or WRs. He has to committ to it. Not anyone else.

We'll start here........."this has fuck all to do with Getsy,"

Getsy is tasked with developing JF, correct? Yes
Getsy designed the playbook and routes correct? Yes. Getsy was suppose to build around JF and the offensive strengths. correct? Yes Has all this been happening?

I've watched film and I rarely see guys running check downs i.e. "drags", "quick hooks", "quick slants" etc
Instead, I see long developing routes that stresses the OL and gives way to pocket collapses on the edge.
If u have any footage that shows Bear check downs, please provide it.
________

In addition.....
" Time to throw dropping below 3 seconds to around 2.75. "
Tell me the proper way to count down setting up in a non collapsing pocket.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He looks visibly defeated tbh. No confidence or composure at all. Not sure how you can have any success playing so meek
I agree. Looks completely defeated. Zero confidence. And I don't blame him - and this is where the Bears are failing him. He's a young QB who had a rough start and he's got nobody to pick him up. How many dropped passes was there yesterday? I can count 3 off the top of my head. With a struggling QB, somebody has to step up and help him. Hopefully he can get out of his own head. Feel like there is so much pressure on him to perform that it's just this huge cloud over him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you think Fields was a little bit better yesterday than the prior 2 games? I thought he was, especially in the 2nd quarter. Maybe he can go through these growing pains while slightly getting better to the point where next year, we can be all in with the cap space and high draft picks.

Think results were better but his T2T was 3.54 overall and 2.92 if you exclude scrambling.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I agree. Looks completely defeated. Zero confidence. And I don't blame him - and this is where the Bears are failing him. He's a young QB who had a rough start and he's got nobody to pick him up. How many dropped passes was there yesterday? I can count 3 off the top of my head. With a struggling QB, somebody has to step up and help him. Hopefully he can get out of his own head. Feel like there is so much pressure on him to perform that it's just this huge cloud over him.

Who were the culprits?