Fields Development Goals

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
Good post. What worries me most about Fields is that he has no composure right now. In the preseason you could see him going through his progressions and making a decision and now he looks like a deer in headlights again.
I really wonder why there's such a big drop off from then to now? He looked competent, at the least, now every game looks like his first ever start?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
this is exactly what his issue is. He is looking at guys getting open and he is not processing what is happening in real time. This is the same thing that Mitch has problems with, the only difference here is that Mitch never got better, and the hope is that Fields can figure it out..
Well that and Mitch couldn’t throw a deep ball

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I really wonder why there's such a big drop off from then to now? He looked competent, at the least, now every game looks like his first ever start?

Preseason my man. Teams don't often show their hand in preseason, so its all vanilla coverages, light pressure on the o-line, etc.

Everyone is just trying to make it out of preseason uninjured.

The thing to take from it though, is that when given time, it does look like Fields CAN do it. I only say that because there are guys who look like dog shit in preseason as well *cough* Mitch *cough*, so Fields has a lot higher floor.

But with the line being what it is, I don't see how we are going to get anything consistent out of Fields this year.

I keep bringing up 2 recent examples of players who people were calling a bust in year 1 | year 2, only to blossom when they got talent around them, in Allen and Hurts.

Does that mean Fields is the next one? You don't know until you know. But one thing he still has is that deep ball accuracy, which is such a commodity that I think it buys him time beyond this year as they put players around him.

Looking forward to all the raging from the "Fields is a bust/Never should have gotten rid of Mitch" crew when the Bears get a high pick in next year's draft, and the Bears don't pick up the next great white hope at QB but a WR or Left Tackle instead...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This is an opinion with no data to back up. You say we are fans that have never been anywhere near anything NFL but them you state an opinion that by your logic only real NFL people would know.

So not it is not common sense. It is just your opinion you are passing off as somehow better than someone else's opinion despite never being anywhere near anything NFL.
I don't go on multiple threads every day acting like i know anything close to anyone actually in the NFL that does this shit for a living like some do just because they know how to google shit.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
this is exactly what his issue is. He is looking at guys getting open and he is not processing what is happening in real time. This is the same thing that Mitch has problems with, the only difference here is that Mitch never got better, and the hope is that Fields can figure it out..

Yeah we have had this debate before and we aren't going to agree on this. Processing for me is making the right read which I think he does. His issue for me is hesitation ie not pulling the trigger. That is not processing for me.

3M had problems reading defenses period. It wasn't until year 4 that we got to the point where it seemed he would be staring at the right read but then hesitating. For the first couple of years he was basically just a 1 read QB.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Yeah we have had this debate before and we aren't going to agree on this. Processing for me is making the right read which I think he does. His issue for me is hesitation ie not pulling the trigger. That is not processing for me.

3M had problems reading defenses period. It wasn't until year 4 that we got to the point where it seemed he would be staring at the right read but then hesitating. For the first couple of years he was basically just a 1 read QB.

It seems like the hesitation is coming from the change up in footwork and his release coupled with horrible pass protection on the o line and receivers who are last in the league in separation.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't go on multiple threads every day acting like i know anything close to anyone actually in the NFL that does this shit for a living like some do just because they know how to google shit.
Except of course when you just tired to pass off your personal opinion as common sense that NFL coaches know despite claiming we don't know near as much as NFL coaches.

If you want to say you don't go around acting like you know anything close to anyone actually in the NFL then don't say the bold because the bold is in fact acting like you known what the NFL people know.
I'm saying it's not easy to fix most problems QB's have and i'm pretty sure that there's nothing any of us fans that have never been anywhere near anything NFL can come up with that hasn't already been talked about in NFL circles by people that have spent all of their lives around football and the NFL. I mean come on now, it should be common sense.

Like pick a lane. Either we fans don't know shit and you can't make the claim above or we do know some shit because it is common sense.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I’m #TeamJustin 4eva.

Just want to point out that the Bears had a chance to hire a guy that not only worked with Josh Allen, but also Hurts, Tua, and Mac Jones.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@1:36....boot, might've been able to Kmet, but the defender was closing.

1.36 - He has to be able to get that ball to Kmet. This is the NFL. The other guys are paid to stop you. It can't be that any sign of the other team trying to stop him and suddenly he is blameless if the play fails.

But Fields still missed a read. Tight end Cole Kmet appeared to do the right thing. He was open in the flat. Kmet might not have scored, but a 4- or 5-yard gain would have been better than a 2-yard loss that Fields took on the sack by Ward.

“I thought that the D-end (Ward) was going to go out and match Cole,” Fields said after the game. “So I kind of tried to tuck it in, but next time I’ll just go outside, in and back outside to Cole.”

So apparently on the above play, Mooney chipped when he was not supposed to and so he got out in his route too late as he is normally the first read. Yet, despite that mistake, Fields is still clear that he missed Cole. I post this to reiterate the point. Just because someone else fucked up doesn't mean Fields is absolved if he also made a mistake on a play. The good thing is he at least recognizes that. Now if only his more radical defenders would as well.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Except of course when you just tired to pass off your personal opinion as common sense that NFL coaches know despite claiming we don't know near as much as NFL coaches.

If you want to say you don't go around acting like you know anything close to anyone actually in the NFL then don't say the bold because the bold is in fact acting like you known what the NFL people know.

Like pick a lane. Either we fans don't know shit and you can't make the claim above or we do know some shit because it is common sense.
Some do the acting every single day in multiple threads. We know who the some are.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ok so you are complaining that others are full time actors while you only have the commitment to do it part time?
You'd be working 60 hour weeks while i'd be working 5 minute weeks, so if you wanna call that part time then have at it.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:

What if i can google shit + use to be associated wiff the NFL..

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

If he was making the right reads he would be throwing the ball to the open WR and we wouldnt be debating this. His problem is he is looking right at a guy who is open and not throwing the ball.

So either he is not processing what he is seeing, OR he is purposefully tanking because he hates the Bears or really wants to flip burgers for a living maybe?

And you pointing out that Mitch would be staring at the right read and not throw the ball is exactly what JF is doing.. Like I said in my reply

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If he was making the right reads he would be throwing the ball to the open WR and we wouldnt be debating this. His problem is he is looking right at a guy who is open and not throwing the ball.

So either he is not processing what he is seeing, OR he is purposefully tanking because he hates the Bears or really wants to flip burgers for a living maybe?

And you pointing out that Mitch would be staring at the right read and not throw the ball is exactly what JF is doing.. Like I said in my reply

Again that is not what I mean by processing so not point arguing semantics.

No 3M sucked at actually finding the open guy at this stage of career. Took him like 3 years to finally figure it out and then by the time he did he was gun shy. So Fields in year 2 game 4 is where 3M was in year 4 game 4.

If you watch Trubisky year 2 game 4 he was largely throwing to his first read and as that was year 1 of Nagy that was back when guys like ARob, Gabriel and Burton were getting open quite a bit as Nagy hadnt been figured out yet. So he could survive throwing to his first read mostly.

Gabs and Burton were getting 3.5 and 3.4 yards of separation. ARob was getting 2 but was good at contested catches. So he was throwing to guys that were generally open.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
But Fields still missed a read. Tight end Cole Kmet appeared to do the right thing. He was open in the flat. Kmet might not have scored, but a 4- or 5-yard gain would have been better than a 2-yard loss that Fields took on the sack by Ward.

“I thought that the D-end (Ward) was going to go out and match Cole,” Fields said after the game. “So I kind of tried to tuck it in, but next time I’ll just go outside, in and back outside to Cole.”

So apparently on the above play, Mooney chipped when he was not supposed to and so he got out in his route too late as he is normally the first read. Yet, despite that mistake, Fields is still clear that he missed Cole. I post this to reiterate the point. Just because someone else fucked up doesn't mean Fields is absolved if he also made a mistake on a play. The good thing is he at least recognizes that. Now if only his more radical defenders would as well.

ok

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I have already addressed this. I am critiquing plays where I felt he had time to get the ball to someone I considered own. In post 66 if I agreed with you that the pressure was the reason he could not complete a pass, I did not respond to your point individually. I say I agreed with your other observations.

the pressure he received....ok.