Fields Honest Assessment Of Performance

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is slipping into this QB sucks kind of play.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. I honestly don’t like how the hurries are calculated but maybe that is just my poor opinion. Mustipher gets pushed back frequently and if the interior isn’t good then there is no pocket to step into. Giving up hurries is obviously important, but keeping a clean pocket is equally important and imo he gets pushed back too easy.

2. You start by saying Patrick has graded out poor, how can you justify the move?? It doesn’t feel objective to cite css when it’s in your favor like with borom, then ignore the grades when it isn’t in your arguments favor. If we want the best Chicago bears we should want the player that is playing better to start. Right now that’s teven.

Have they had the same Amount of snaps, I honestly don’t remember if this started week one or two. If teven has more snaps and grades better this makes no sense. It’s asinine to bench the guy who is playing better, a complete mismanagement imo.

3. I’d be curious to see stats about how much help has been given in certain situations, and how that can help the numbers. Week 1 a tackle had help every down, have to imagine that bolstered numbers.

4. 41st, yikes. I’d argue LT is a pretty important position particularly in the pass game. I’d also argue he get help all week 1, and his 41st rank is padded by that.

5. Seems like I was wrong about whitehair but not the tackles.

Fields has played like shit. Absolute garbage besides 1 quarter in week 1.

However, this is exactly why the national media killed the bears. Fields looks like a rookie, and it’s really not all that surprising considering he has less than 1 year of experience. When looking to help out a rookie having a good, not 21st ranked OL but an actual good OL, helps a rookie. Look at the eagles for an example of this. At bare minimum a competent LT would be helpful. Poles is quoted as saying a big time receiver is the most helpful for a rookie, did he not? Bears don’t have that and imo kmet is another pace bust.

What are the expectations for fields? Like realistically what is he supposed to do? At this point imo it would take a top 10 QB to elevate this bears passing offense to mediocre. It would take someone who can make quick reads and throw the ball accurately. Someone who can read a defense and manage the game. Fields clearly isn’t doing a good job with making the reads, he looks incredibly confused back there.

Put a middle of the road QB in for the bears and what do you think would happen? If Jimmy G or whoever you think is the 15th best qb in the league started for the bears would it look any different than what the 32nd rank qb in the league can do?

1. By no means am I saying Musty is great. I am saying he isnt as bad as people claim.

2. There is a distinction between PFF grades and PFF stats. Yes Patrick has graded poorly but those grades are like scouts grades. They grade technique not necessarily end result. The end result in the pass game us that those bad grades have not translated into a significant number of pressures given up. I would get concerned when the grade sucks as well as the pressure stats.

3-5. There is no question the Tackles are the week link right now but the issue is even when Fields has a pocket to step up or a WR open he isnt taking it.

I said before the season, I dont care about stats for Fields. I care about him showing he can make the right decisions given the situation. He is compounding the OL and WR issues because he is not stepping uo in the pocket when he has the opportubity to do so and he is not getting rid of the ball even when he is literally staring at open guys.

This is pretty simple really. When the WRs are not open, it is their fault. When the OL gives up quick pressure, it is their fault. When Fields misses open guys or fails to step up in the pocket when the line dows its job on a given play it is his fault.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
1. By no means am I saying Musty is great. I am saying he isnt as bad as people claim.

2. There is a distinction between PFF grades and PFF stats. Yes Patrick has graded poorly but those grades are like scouts grades. They grade technique not necessarily end result. The end result in the pass game us that those bad grades have not translated into a significant number of pressures given up. I would get concerned when the grade sucks as well as the pressure stats.

3-5. There is no question the Tackles are the week link right now but the issue is even when Fields has a pocket to step up or a WR open he isnt taking it.

I said before the season, I dont care about stats for Fields. I care about him showing he can make the right decisions given the situation. He is compounding the OL and WR issues because he is not stepping uo in the pocket when he has the opportubity to do so and he is not getting rid of the ball even when he is literally staring at open guys.

This is pretty simple really. When the WRs are not open, it is their fault. When the OL gives up quick pressure, it is their fault. When Fields misses open guys or fails to step up in the pocket when the line dows its job on a given play it is his fault.
The suggestion is there is no stat for missed reads, or missed plays. We extrapolate this from average time to throw, and we can see fields is slow to get rid of the ball and we presume it’s because he holds it too long. Fields is most definitely slow to reads, not getting rid of the ball, but simply looking at the stat of time to throw is very reductionist imo, not an accurate way to describe the issues he is having on each play.

Same thing with OL. If a tackle misses a block and let’s pressure but fields escapes and runs, thereby not being forced to throw, is this counted as a ‘pressure’ by your metrics? After all, a pressure has been defined as throwing ‘earlier than desired’ or some nonsense like that. It’s pretty laughable they would know when he wants to throw anyways. If fields scrambles and throws but is being chased is that a pressure? I think by definition they aren’t.

Let’s say fields feels pressure from one side and escapes to the L, then he is sacked by the edge because he moves into them, is this considered a sack from the L tackle even though on fields or or potentially the r tackle for allowing pressure?

If a tackle gets TE help or rb help and wins the rep does that really count as a positive of the o lineman? This takes away from a route runner and hurts the offense.

These stats for the O line have some value, but to cite them as a means of if a player is good or bad is just not realistic imo. To say the line is good or x player is good because they’ve only given up 3 pressures! Is just comical. At some point we really do need to use our eyes.

There has to be a pocket to step into. Being pressured is far more than being forced to release sooner than wanted.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The data isn't perfect. It is just better than coming empty handed and saying so and so sucks because I said so.

PFF does track pressure they think is caused by the QB. Fields for example is considered responsible for 25% of his pressures ie 6 pressures and 2 sacks.

I dont judge Fields based on assuming he is holding the ball to long. I have access to All-22 and can see on film the WRs he is missing. I also watch JT's QB school where he details Fields play quite extensively. So he has clearly shown when Fields failed to step up when he could and when he failed to pull the trigger when guys were open.

jc456

Liked Posts:
The best qb in the league said he couldn’t even read a defense until after starting for 1.5 years, and he sat an entire year before that.

Your expectation isn’t realistic.
Then don’t pick a qb number one. That qb wasn’t picked until the fourth round

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
O line stunk but Fields has *got* to get the ball out quicker. A lot of those sacks were at least partially (if not primarily) on him, his internal clock is way too slow and he can’t sit and hold the ball in the pocket for 4 seconds and not expect to get sacked.

Myrradah

Liked Posts:
AS i said pre draft - you need a offensive line before worrrying about drafting a rookie QB to help that rookie QB. They went bass ackwards.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
O line stunk but Fields has *got* to get the ball out quicker. A lot of those sacks were at least partially (if not primarily) on him, his internal clock is way too slow and he can’t sit and hold the ball in the pocket for 4 seconds and not expect to get sacked.
I'd agreed in previous games, but most of what I saw today he was getting hit before he could even finish his drop. Today was fields best game I thought (he still needs to get better obviously), and the olines worst game.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
If we're being realistic, this is about what we should have expected. Everyone but the Bears fans knew we had the worst receivers and offensive line in the league... oh and a rookie coach and a brand new offensive scheme.

This year will be brutal, I just hope at some point we see the light turn on for Fields and our staff start to get into a groove calling plays.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If we're being realistic, this is about what we should have expected. Everyone but the Bears fans knew we had the worst receivers and offensive line in the league... oh and a rookie coach and a brand new offensive scheme.

This year will be brutal, I just hope at some point we see the light turn on for Fields and our staff start to get into a groove calling plays.

worst offensive line in the league... oh and a rookie coach and a brand new offensive scheme.

definitely this

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
I feel like Fields and the Bears have until Week 10 to start showing some strides even if it isn't perfect.

The trash heap the last three weeks are pretty pathetic, but par for a Bears O.

Despite everything, we still do not know enough at this point. I'm willing to suffer through until Week 10 or so to see if Fields shows anything that resembles progress. We knew this year was going to be a wash anyway, so there is really no harm and letting Fields go out there and be kind of terrible. Let's just hope he gets less terrible for his sake and for the Bears sake.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think that the worst thing for Fields to be taught is to step up in a pocket. They should use KC and what they do with Mahomes as a model. Fields will be killed stepping up in a non existing pocket. he should be allowed to follow his instincts and make big plays with his arm and his feet. Also, someone needs to make these pass receivers keep running and try to extend their routes. TO A MAN THESE GUYS STOP.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Fields sucks ass. What did I miss??