Fields is not clutch: Looking at the Video

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think between Mooney, Claypool and Kmet, you've got the foundation. I'd like to see another receiver on a similar level to them, but considering how run-based we are and will likely be regardless, we're not that far off. That of course assumes we build up the line more as well. If Leatherwood works out at RT then that's cool. Braxton Jones next year will be quite good, IMO. Have to have another center, then maybe upgrade/replace Whitehair but not entirely necessary. Either way, improving the trenches will help a whole lot in the passing game as well.
They need another top line receiver and an oline. I'm not sold on Mooney.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
They need another top line receiver and an oline. I'm not sold on Mooney.
I'm not sold on Mooney being a #1 guy but he's a quality receiver. I certainly wouldn't turn down a true #1 type though and allow Claypool/Mooney to be complementary pieces. For example, were we to trade for Higgins, I think you love Higgins/Mooney/Claypool/Kmet for what this team is wanting to do.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I think Field's clutch performance ability is still an open verdict. When I think of clutch QBs, I can't help but think they would not get the same consistent "delivery under the pressure" results if they were asked to deliver comebacks with a WR offering of Harry, Pringle, ESB and Claypool who is a few games into the system and behind a patchwork Oline that is more prone to give up immediate pressure up the middle. I think we'll know more once Fields has a reliable go to WR for those situations that he knows will catch the ball and execute the route scheme as needed. Early in the season, we saw Fields put balls where they needed to be to deliver in clutch situations only to be dropped/missed and now in Detroit and GB he is forcing things which to me feels like he is desperate to overcome the talent shortfalls on the roster. I'll get more concerned if this continues with a revamped roster around him but given all the other improvements we've seen in his other skills, I'm fairly confident we'll see that area improve as well.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lmao. Such a bad route. Ugh, ESB does some nice things on occasion, but that's embarrassing. As are some of the fail ass drops he's had.
It's weird. That little "gather" move he did is a move you do when you want to make the CB think you're about to run a comeback but in reality are about to run a 9. He telegraphs the comeback, and then proceed to follow through on the move he just telegraphed, thinking he can still get the rock (against a much shorter-stride corner). He doesn't have position to block the corner out either (and he's just not that kind of receiver).

You can say a lot of things about EQ, and he's actually faster than people realize, but he definitely doesn't have quick feet, and in general, is not a quick guy. He's definitely not quicker than #23 of the Packers.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Even Fields’ biggest cheerleaders shouldn’t ignore his fourth-quarter struggles.

In 12 starts this season, he has a 53.8 passer rating in the fourth quarter and has thrown six of his 10 interceptions then. .

Ten times this season the Bears offense has taken possession with six minutes or less remaining and a chance to tie or go ahead. Their only scoring drive in those situations was a four-play, zero-yard field-goal drive to beat the Houston Texans in Week 3.

The Bears have had the ball 17 times in the fourth quarter this season with a chance to tie or go ahead and have only two touchdowns and a field goal. Fields has a 41.5 passer rating in those possessions with no touchdown passes and three interceptions.

That was Fields’ 10th interception this season, an attention-grabbing total given how infrequently the Bears pass — an NFL-low 279 attempts.

Fields’ interception rate has spiked to 4.0%, a number worth keeping an eye on. Over the last 10 seasons, among qualifying quarterbacks, 17 have finished a season with an interception rate at 3.7% or higher — including Fields as a rookie.

Perhaps even more concerning, Fields’ fourth-quarter interception rate is 9.2%, according to The Football Database, with six interceptions in 65 passes.

At some point this he needs to finish a clutch drive late in the 4th quarter....ideally a td drive in the last minute, followed by a missed pat for a loss by 1 to keep hope alive for a top 3 pick
Fields threw for over 200 yards so now greg has found the next talking point.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Fields threw for over 200 yards so now greg has found the next talking point.

Yup, next it's gonna be 'but he choked in the 2nd or 3rd round of the postseason'

Then it's gonna be he can't win the big game, and then 'well he's only won 2 super bowls' etc.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Yup, next it's gonna be 'but he choked in the 2nd or 3rd round of the postseason'

Then it's gonna be he can't win the big game, and then 'well he's only won 2 super bowls' etc.
You two are fanboy dipshits

Its pulled straight from an article in the Tribune..... his numbers/results are his numbers/results; no matter how many times you call people racists.

He's definitely getting better; slowly.... but still holds the ball too long, is late on throws, sees the field better still doesn't process great/quick, and theu run an extremely basic passing game.......hopefully he keeps improving in the pocket because the running part of his game; while deadly; can't be the primary reason for success at the qb position

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here, social media, or in person?
here mostly and in person....

I stayed away from social media on the Bears when I saw someone said Fields is Jamarcus Russell 2.0

I was reminded of that yesterday when someone said Fields is worse than Trubisky because his stats aren't as good at the same point in their careers.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Its pulled straight from an article in the Tribune..... his numbers/results are his numbers/results; no matter how many times you call people racists.

He's definitely getting better; slowly.... but still holds the ball too long, is late on throws, sees the field better still doesn't process great/quick, and theu run an extremely basic passing game.......hopefully he keeps improving in the pocket because the running part of his game; while deadly; can't be the primary reason for success at the qb position
If you're going to call me a dipshit, at least learn to @ me.

Welp, there's the old cranky white guy with the cant see the field and cant process bullshit.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

I call bullshit. He is not primarily successful for his rushing. He stresses defenses and is finding the soft spots in coverage with more and more frequency. His completion percentage keeps improving on the season every week because he can pull out games with 80% complete primarily from the pocket at 10 yards a pop. Also, as I previously stated to shit stain, Steve Young literally went 3-0 in the super bowl as a dual threat quarterback.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I call bullshit. He is not primarily successful for his rushing. He stresses defenses and is finding the soft spots in coverage with more and more frequency. His completion percentage keeps improving on the season every week because he can pull out games with 80% complete primarily from the pocket at 10 yards a pop. Also, as I previously stated to shit stain, Steve Young literally went 3-0 in the super bowl as a dual threat quarterback.
Steve Young won 3 super bowls?

Interesting.....when were those?

And the 1 super bowl he won was a season based on his passing when he led the leauge in virtually every passing metric....and rushed for his lowest output in years....

But hey, whatever fits your false narrative

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Steve Young won 3 super bowls?

Interesting.....when were those?

And the 1 super bowl he won was a season based on his passing when he led the leauge in virtually every passing metric....and rushed for his lowest output in years....

But hey, whatever fits your false narrative

Fair enough. The point still stands. Steve Young literally won a super bowl playing in such a way that you have deemed as ineffective. He lead the team in rushing yards for the game and a big part of his passing success came outside of the pocket or while scrambling, but yes he was way more of a factor in the passing game with the 6TD passes.

That kind of production is literally #goals for Fields and what he is clearly capable of with the right talent. This team is obviously going to surround him with more talent in the off season and his evolution will continue as a passer just like Steve Young and almost all athletic quarterbacks. Let's compare them, shall we?

In Youngs first season, he passed for 935 yards, 3 TDs and 8 Interceptions. On the ground, he went for 235 yards, 1 TD and 4 fumbles. Compare that to Fields who in his rookie campaign passed for 1870 yards with 7 TD and 10 INT to go along with 420 rushing yards Fields was objectively better in year 1 even without having the literal GOAT at receiver. This is not even debatable.

At this point in year 2, Fields is further along in his progress than Young was. In Fields' 2nd season so far with 4 games remaining and he's at 1896 passing yards, 13 TD and 10 INTS. On the ground so far, he has been shattering records week after week and currently stands at 905 rushing, 8 TD and 8 fumbles.

Compare that to 86 for Young. Young passed for 2282 yards with 8 touchdowns, 13 interceptions... again with the GOAT at wideout. On the ground, Young added 425 yards, 5 TD, and 11 fumbles.

The 2 of them have very similar play styles and have dealt with similar struggles early in their career, but it's as clear as day to me that Fields is on an upward trajectory like we've never seen as Bears fans. Watch the tape from the early years for Young. He very much was a poor mans Justin Fields.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The Fields narratives are so ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen a more criticized or maligned young player for the Bears in our history. People are so ready to jump on every flaw and make it this giant microcosm like he can't get better, and that the Bears won't ever surround him with competent talent. Like, even as Bear fans we know he's not perfect. But, if you can't see his growth and development you're flat out biased and have no hope.
By people you mean @Black Rainbow , @dbldrew @Montucky @DanielCCSBears and Twitter clowns

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
I'm not sold on Mooney being a #1 guy but he's a quality receiver. I certainly wouldn't turn down a true #1 type though and allow Claypool/Mooney to be complementary pieces. For example, were we to trade for Higgins, I think you love Higgins/Mooney/Claypool/Kmet for what this team is wanting to do.
I think Higgins is a Free Agent…

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Must really suck to have been so damaged by past Bears QBs that people are angry about Fields lol

greg23

Liked Posts:

So Fields is leading the Bears to the NFC Conf title game or Super Bowl next year?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jesus, that last route ran by ESB

:jonesy:

Fields has to be 100% perfect for this offense to accomplish anything

Funny thing is a couple weeks ago, I was complaining about how Fields had WRs coming open at the top of intermediate curls and he wasn't throwing.

Those are trust routes where the ball has to come out before the break and it's on the WR to sell the deap route, then plant and beat the DB back to the ball.

Whelp, guess Fields was right all along