Fields is really very inexperienced.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This isn't a shot at Fields.... relax folks and bear with me.

I forget who it was but someone after this last game made a post about just wanting Fields to throw it 30 times regardless of outcome because he needed the experience, and we needed to see him more to know what we have.

Now this is a generalization but I think 30 attempts a game is pretty common in today's NFL. It's actually low for many QB's.

So it got me thinking how many times did Fields actually have 30 or more pass attempts in a college game? How many total career attempts did he have? And how does that compare to other young NFL QB's?

Results:

Fields. 618 total college passing attempts. 5 games with 30+ attempts.
Mahomes. 1349 total college passing attempts. 32 games with 30+ attempts.
Burrow. 945 total college passing attempts. 17 games with 30+ attempts.
Jackson. 1086 total college passing attempts. 14 games with 30+ attempts.
Watson. 1207 total college passing attempts. 23 games with 30+ attempts.
Allen. 649 total college passing attempts. 8 games with 30+ attempts.
Lawrence. 1138 total college passing attempts. 20 games with 30+ attempts.

So as you can see here Fields is without a doubt pretty inexperienced throwing the ball compared to these guys with the exception of Josh Allen. And while throwing 30+ times a game is normal for a NFL QB these days he only did it 5 times in college.

So if you're a glass half full fan you can look at this and go well is it any wonder he has a hard time reading defenses? He's got literally a year's worth less throws than some of them. Give the man some time!

Anyways I just thought it was interesting.

EDIT: forgot to add Hebert. 1239 total and 26 games of 30+.

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
Thanks man! Time for me to update <the list>

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This isn't a shot at Fields.... relax folks and bear with me.

I forget who it was but someone after this last game made a post about just wanting Fields to throw it 30 times regardless of outcome because he needed the experience, and we needed to see him more to know what we have.

Now this is a generalization but I think 30 attempts a game is pretty common in today's NFL. It's actually low for many QB's.

So it got me thinking how many times did Fields actually have 30 or more pass attempts in a college game? How many total career attempts did he have? And how does that compare to other young NFL QB's?

Results:

Fields. 618 total college passing attempts. 5 games with 30+ attempts.
Mahomes. 1349 total college passing attempts. 32 games with 30+ attempts.
Burrow. 945 total college passing attempts. 17 games with 30+ attempts.
Jackson. 1086 total college passing attempts. 14 games with 30+ attempts.
Watson. 1207 total college passing attempts. 23 games with 30+ attempts.
Allen. 649 total college passing attempts. 8 games with 30+ attempts.
Lawrence. 1138 total college passing attempts. 20 games with 30+ attempts.

So as you can see here Fields is without a doubt pretty inexperienced throwing the ball compared to these guys with the exception of Josh Allen. And while throwing 30+ times a game is normal for a NFL QB these days he only did it 5 times in college.

So if you're a glass half full fan you can look at this and go well is it any wonder he has a hard time reading defenses? He's got literally a year's worth less throws than some of them. Give the man some time!

Anyways I just thought it was interesting.
Good post and observations.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Good post and observations.

Ohio State QBs in the NFL​

YEARNAMEROUNDRECORDCAREER STATISTICS
1982Art Schlichter10-61,006 yards, 3 TDs, 11 INTs
1985Mike Tomczak*FA42-3116,079 yards, 88 TDs, 106 INTs
1988Tom Tupa34-93,430 yards, 12 TDs, 25 INTs
1992Kent Graham817-217,801 yards, 39 TDs, 33 INTs
1996Bobby Hoying33-9-12,544 yards, 11 TDs, 15 INTs
1999Joe Germaine40-0136 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs
2004Craig Krenzel53-2718 yards, 3 TDs, 6 INTs
2007Troy Smith54-41,734 yards, 8 TDs, 5 INTs
2011Terrelle Pryor**33-71,994 yards, 9 TDs, 12 INTs
2016Cardale Jones40-096 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT
2019Dwayne Haskins13-102,804 yards, 12 TDs, 14 INTs

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Let’s say you went to a New York Jets message board. And they were doing this with Wilson. Bringing up mostly irrelevant details concerning how many times he had high volume passing games in college. Would you find it kind of sad and pathetic? I know I would. It’s the same thing here.

Bust

Liked Posts:
#PANIC

Over the last 40 years, the best NFL quarterback to come out of Ohio State was one that didn’t even get drafted, Mike Tomczak, who signed with the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent just ahead of their historic 1985 season.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Let's say you found out the Bears have had 28 pass attempts this season and then you found out all other teams have at least 28 pass completions this season so far.

Would you find it kind of sad and pathetic? I know I would.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
The arrow is pointing down for people, it's not easy to have it pointing up without decent games in the next few.

This is going to be a fun season.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Liked for the effort put in. I'm not sure it means much though.

Bust

Liked Posts:
The arrow is pointing down for people, it's not easy to have it pointing up without decent games in the next few.

goes for the players too. Eberflus can preach HITS all he wants every week but when the results aren't there on sundays the players will eventually tune them out

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
goes for the players too. Eberflus can preach HITS all he wants every week but when the results aren't there on sundays the players will eventually tune them out
I think that the coach is going to be successful because his over-all philosophy has proven to be the best coaching approach there ever has been in any sport or team related endeavor. Holding people accountable fairly is something that gets preached and implemented in successful organizations everywhere.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Let’s say you went to a New York Jets message board. And they were doing this with Wilson. Bringing up mostly irrelevant details concerning how many times he had high volume passing games in college. Would you find it kind of sad and pathetic? I know I would. It’s the same thing here.
It's the reality of when the QB does not play well. If Fields was playing good, nobody would be digging up old stats to analyze

Bust

Liked Posts:
I think that the coach is going to be successful because his over-all philosophy has proven to be the best coaching approach there ever has been in any sport or team related endeavor. Holding people accountable fairly is something that gets preached and implemented in successful organizations everywhere.

means nothing in the nfl cause it comes down to draft status.

what do you think would have happened to another bear qb drafted in the 6th round if he passed for 50 yards? lol He would have been cut or sent to the practice squad come Monday. Fields is gonna get a far longer rope homey

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You forgot the stat he got drafted by the Chicago bears one of the worst sports organizations. Very hard to over come that

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's the reality of when the QB does not play well. If Fields was playing good, nobody would be digging up old stats to analyze
Yeah I would. I make posts like this all the time. I love stats.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Let's say you found out the Bears have had 28 pass attempts this season and then you found out all other teams have at least 28 pass completions this season so far.

Would you find it kind of sad and pathetic? I know I would.

Let’s say your team only ran 42 plays in one game because the QB kept killing drives taking coverage sacks and missing receivers causing them to constantly go 3 and out.

would you find that kind of sad and pathetic? I know I would.

The other game was played in a monsoon. Which obviously skews the numbers. You have fun making excuses and spinning reality though.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thanks for contributing nothing as always ED!