Fields is really very inexperienced.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Thanks for contributing nothing as always ED!

I understand that you’ve been tough on Fields lately which has caused the mob to attack and this is your little sad, pitiful attempt to get back in the good graces of the flock, but it reeks of desperation.

If only he had more 30+ attempt passing games. Everything would be different. Lol. If he gets more throws against Northwestern and Iowa we’d be looking at a completely different quarterback.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I understand that you’ve been tough on Fields lately which has caused the mob to attack and this is your little sad, pitiful attempt to get back in the good graces of the flock, but it reeks of desperation.
Nah, if I wanted to get back in the good graces of “the flock” as you say I’d just shit on DongBears for a couple days.

Now I will admit I could have taken this another direction and commented on what idiot GM trades up for such an inexperienced QB. Or commented again on how his college coach is throwing the shit out of the ball now that Fields is gone…. But I felt a glass half full take was better. No need to totally go negative here.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I’ve actually flipped and I’m on board with this totally necessary and valid thread.

Only 25 attempts against Florida Atlantic. Those are reps he just can’t not be getting if he wants to be ready for the NFL. All they had to do was throw 5 more times and everything would be different.

19 attempts against Rutgers. You cant just put a guy out there against that Rutgers D, have him throw 19 freaking times and think he’s going to be ready for NFL defenses. Those are valuable reps

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’ve actually flipped and I’m on board with this totally necessary and valid thread.

Only 25 attempts against Florida Atlantic. Those are reps he just can’t not be getting if he wants to be ready for the NFL. All they had to do was throw 5 more times and everything would be different.

19 attempts against Rutgers. You cant just put a guy out there against that Rutgers D, have him throw 19 freaking times and think he’s going to be ready for NFL defenses. Those are valuable reps
If there’s one thing I’ve learned in 25000+ posts it’s that none of this is necessary.

SiDe WaYs

Liked Posts:
It could be inexperience but he didn’t have to throw 30+ times in a game at an Ohio state. I don’t follow college football well but weren’t they stacked? So they had no reason to play from behind

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

You ever think if it doesn't interest you, then you don't need to respond?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
This isn't a shot at Fields.... relax folks and bear with me.

I forget who it was but someone after this last game made a post about just wanting Fields to throw it 30 times regardless of outcome because he needed the experience, and we needed to see him more to know what we have.

Now this is a generalization but I think 30 attempts a game is pretty common in today's NFL. It's actually low for many QB's.

So it got me thinking how many times did Fields actually have 30 or more pass attempts in a college game? How many total career attempts did he have? And how does that compare to other young NFL QB's?

Results:

Fields. 618 total college passing attempts. 5 games with 30+ attempts.
Mahomes. 1349 total college passing attempts. 32 games with 30+ attempts.
Burrow. 945 total college passing attempts. 17 games with 30+ attempts.
Jackson. 1086 total college passing attempts. 14 games with 30+ attempts.
Watson. 1207 total college passing attempts. 23 games with 30+ attempts.
Allen. 649 total college passing attempts. 8 games with 30+ attempts.
Lawrence. 1138 total college passing attempts. 20 games with 30+ attempts.

So as you can see here Fields is without a doubt pretty inexperienced throwing the ball compared to these guys with the exception of Josh Allen. And while throwing 30+ times a game is normal for a NFL QB these days he only did it 5 times in college.

So if you're a glass half full fan you can look at this and go well is it any wonder he has a hard time reading defenses? He's got literally a year's worth less throws than some of them. Give the man some time!

Anyways I just thought it was interesting.

EDIT: forgot to add Hebert. 1239 total and 26 games of 30+.
Great post. I still think he is on the Josh Allen trajectory, but i am a Fields homer.

EDIT: I was one of the ones wanting him to throw throw throw. Obviously balance, but you won't know what he cannot do and more importantly what he can do by hamstringing him.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It could be inexperience but he didn’t have to throw 30+ times in a game at an Ohio state. I don’t follow college football well but weren’t they stacked? So they had no reason to play from behind
Well, that isn't really how college football works. If you are ahead by 10 points or so and then just run out the clock, it will almost be like you lost the game because you only beat a team by 10 to 15 points when you could and should have stomped on them by more than 40 points. Suddenly, you don't have enough "good" wins and you end up outside of the college championship.

As an example, Alabama was #1 in the standings, but when they came close to losing their last game to a lesser team, they suddenly ended up below Georgia who stomped on both of their opponents in weeks 1 and 2.

How you win IS important in college football.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Correct. They had no reason to throw 40+ times. They were usually buttfucking opponents, which includes Clemson and Michigan defenses.

This doesn't excuse the issues Fields is having now. He's constantly looking for big plays, which isn't conducive to efficient drives

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Well, that isn't really how college football works. If you are ahead by 10 points or so and then just run out the clock, it will almost be like you lost the game because you only beat a team by 10 to 15 points when you could and should have stomped on them by more than 40 points. Suddenly, you don't have enough "good" wins and you end up outside of the college championship.

As an example, Alabama was #1 in the standings, but when they came close to losing their last game to a lesser team, they suddenly ended up below Georgia who stomped on both of their opponents in weeks 1 and 2.

How you win IS important in college football.

They didn't beat Texas by a point because they took their foot off the gas pedal, they barely won because they played like shit. Alabama doesn't take their foot off the pedal. Ohio State could still run it down their opponent's throats and still win by 30. You are making a false equivalency here.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
It means he’s the next Josh Allen!
I still don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. Allen started from the jump and didn't have much around him either, only making that big jump in year 3. Fields is a hard worker and seems to have that "it" factor. I certainly haven't given up on him yet, and will continue to watch with hope that he puts it together knowing it'll be a bumpy ride.

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
Good post. I was also thinking this earlier. He started by week 2-3 last year? Under a temporary regime, missed multiple games , under a scary offensive line, and ended his season early. Footwork drills, throwing motion, the whole new staff, monsoon game to start this football season. There's not a ton of reps in there to get his feet wet, and frankly start having fun, and get comfortable. He also played two really good teams to start this year with a depleted offensive roster on our side.

Suffice to say, no matter what practice is not real game reps. Let the boy cook a little, let him play some bad teams, let him throw. Why tell him what scheme is going to make him successful, and instead approach scheme a little more openly. Start from run sure, but someday lets hit some short slants, another series let's give him some play action deep shots. Let him know he's got a green light. When one of the guy's biggest flaws is holding on to the ball, maybe counteract that by saying you can rip it a little. Hopefully a former QB coach like Getsy can understand that some

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Let’s say you went to a New York Jets message board. And they were doing this with Wilson. Bringing up mostly irrelevant details concerning how many times he had high volume passing games in college. Would you find it kind of sad and pathetic? I know I would. It’s the same thing here.

Isnt Flacco the current qb there? Hasn't Flacco had 103 pass attempts in 2 games?

That is 103. As in over 100 attempts. in 2 games. 103.

100 and 3.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I still don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. Allen started from the jump and didn't have much around him either, only making that big jump in year 3. Fields is a hard worker and seems to have that "it" factor. I certainly haven't given up on him yet, and will continue to watch with hope that he puts it together knowing it'll be a bumpy ride.
Absolutely not out of the realm of possibility. I jus think it’s amusing that some people think because Allen took that path/trajectory, Fields will too. He might but it’s probably more unlikely than likely

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This isn't a shot at Fields.... relax folks and bear with me.

I forget who it was but someone after this last game made a post about just wanting Fields to throw it 30 times regardless of outcome because he needed the experience, and we needed to see him more to know what we have.

Now this is a generalization but I think 30 attempts a game is pretty common in today's NFL. It's actually low for many QB's.

So it got me thinking how many times did Fields actually have 30 or more pass attempts in a college game? How many total career attempts did he have? And how does that compare to other young NFL QB's?

Results:

Fields. 618 total college passing attempts. 5 games with 30+ attempts.
Mahomes. 1349 total college passing attempts. 32 games with 30+ attempts.
Burrow. 945 total college passing attempts. 17 games with 30+ attempts.
Jackson. 1086 total college passing attempts. 14 games with 30+ attempts.
Watson. 1207 total college passing attempts. 23 games with 30+ attempts.
Allen. 649 total college passing attempts. 8 games with 30+ attempts.
Lawrence. 1138 total college passing attempts. 20 games with 30+ attempts.

So as you can see here Fields is without a doubt pretty inexperienced throwing the ball compared to these guys with the exception of Josh Allen. And while throwing 30+ times a game is normal for a NFL QB these days he only did it 5 times in college.

So if you're a glass half full fan you can look at this and go well is it any wonder he has a hard time reading defenses? He's got literally a year's worth less throws than some of them. Give the man some time!

Anyways I just thought it was interesting.

EDIT: forgot to add Hebert. 1239 total and 26 games of 30+.
One egregious omission on your part:
Mitch "Streetball" Trubisky 572 total career passing attempts. 3 games with 30+ attempts.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
One egregious omission on your part:
Mitch "Streetball" Trubisky 572 total career passing attempts. 3 games with 30+ attempts.
So is Justin the next Josh Allen or Mitchell Tribusky? ???

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Absolutely not out of the realm of possibility. I jus think it’s amusing that some people think because Allen took that path/trajectory, Fields will too. He might but it’s probably more unlikely than likely
More high pick QBs bust out or end up becoming backups than great QBs, otherwise there'd be a plethora of them in the NFL.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

If only he had more 30+ attempt passing games. Everything would be different. Lol. If he gets more throws against Northwestern and Iowa we’d be looking at a completely different quarterback.
The last time Ohio State played Iowa, Iowa beat them 55-24. Thank you for coming to my ted talk

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
They didn't beat Texas by a point because they took their foot off the gas pedal, they barely won because they played like shit. Alabama doesn't take their foot off the pedal. Ohio State could still run it down their opponent's throats and still win by 30. You are making a false equivalency here.
No, you thought that I was saying that Alabama took their foot off the gas, which I didn't.

I showed how a "bad" win can have a big effect on standings which it did.

I was not clear in what I was saying, and you thought that I was saying something that I was not saying.

My bad.