Fields used in designed runs?

Do you want to see Fields used in designed runs and risk injury?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Yes but asking if he should be used on designed runs doesn't mean he will be used mainly on designed runs. The question was asking whether it should be part of the tool kit not the main tool.

Do you want to see Fields used in designed runs and risk injury?​

I don't see that part of the in the question, but read into it what you will....

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He should get an entire series because fuck it

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well... you know, this is tough...

Fundamentally, I don't have a problem running a Full Read Option or 3 Option offense... where any or every play the QB has the option to pass, handoff to RB or run the ball himself. Michael Vick seemed to do OK as an Option QB. In his 6 seasons with Atlanta, he only missing most of one season due to injury. That's probably not far from average for NFL QBs. Not that Vick is the rule, but that talent is rare too.

That being said... just because a QB can run well, and can run the Read Option well, doesn't mean it's the right scheme for that QB, that OC/HC, or that team. Is it right for the 2021 Bears? I don't think I'm privy to enough info to say.

I think Fields has the body type, thicker and strong, 6'3" 220, to take normal hits as a QB that runs... but more importantly, from what I've seen and understand, Fields is experienced and trained to know how to rush with the ball and deal with tackling defenders is a reasonably safe manner, primarily to avoid contact altogether.

OC Lazor used Trubisky and the 2020 Bears OL fairly effectively in the Read Option for a series of games at the end of the year, amassing 30 pts per game. And that was with Trubisky who is not particularly good at the Read part of the Read Option. They played crappy defenses, but they executed well.

So I'm not recommending Fields be used in Read Option, but I don't have a stern aversion to use him that way. But I do mostly agree with you: I'd rather keep him healthy and in the pocket for a long career... and anytime he can safely scramble for good yardage that's great too.

But I do mostly agree with you: I'd rather keep him healthy and in the pocket for a long career... and anytime he can safely scramble for good yardage that's great too.

Scuplt you never disappoint...going all the way back to that "wedding cake" discussion. ?;)
Your take on things are always balanced and well thought out. :)(y)

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

I don't see that part of the in the question, but read into it what you will....

Thanks for keeping things focused and on track. ;) (y)

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
I don't want to se a lot of designed runs for Fields, but I do want to see designed roll outs or pass run options on the edge where he he can put a ton of pressure on a defense.
Yeah, they need to get him out of the pocket to get the defense on their heels.

Any designed runs should be very rare beyond 1yd QB sneaks and the like.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, they need to get him out of the pocket to get the defense on their heels.

Any designed runs should be very rare beyond 1yd QB sneaks and the like.

Exactly......and even at the 1yrd line, roll out, pass / run or>>>> just have the Montgomery, Damien Williams or Khalil Herbert earn their check

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Run and Shoot would have to be pretty stupid to think Fields would run designed runs a majority of the time but he did thank your post so maybe he really is that stupid.

In the real world, no one would design an O for Fields to run designed runs a majority of the time because he is too good a passer. It is an absurd suggestion.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Lets be clear, I would never want JF used on designed runs i.e. "kits", packages, nothing.
Some ppl are good with running JF based on the poll response. And I talked with ppl and they're in favor using
JF on designed runs 5-8x a game. I'm not good with any of it.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Good analysis :) (y)

******Either play the kid or not. He’s not some Taysom Hill gimmick for you to trot out there to run your stupid plays. Embarrassing. #1
-
jts1207

******The end around was ignorant. If you’reputting him out there let him be the play maker he is, not this gimmicky bullshit #15
-ThatGuyRyan

That was odd play too. They barely beat the playclock to get it snapped in time. He did well just to not take the penalty, then showed his running ability to get that TD. #25
-Canth

A little of Fields is better than none but you do him no favors putting him in there for shovel passes or end around plays. And you do the team no favors starting a weak QB over him. #20
- Spartan

******They're going to get him injured. #21
-doctorbear

Last edited:

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
cool....maybe I missed it. It's late, I'm a little tired out after that loss. Thanks
Hahahaha sorry. I thought you were mentioning voting in the Gavin Newsome recall out here on the LeftCoast.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good analysis :) (y)

******Either play the kid or not. He’s not some Taysom Hill gimmick for you to trot out there to run your stupid plays. Embarrassing. #1
-
jts1207

******The end around was ignorant. If you’reputting him out there let him be the play maker he is, not this gimmicky bullshit #15
-ThatGuyRyan

That was odd play too. They barely beat the playclock to get it snapped in time. He did well just to not take the penalty, then showed his running ability to get that TD. #25
-Canth

A little of Fields is better than none but you do him no favors putting him in there for shovel passes or end around plays. And you do the team no favors starting a weak QB over him. #20
- Spartan

******They're going to get him injured. #21
-doctorbear

That was not analysis. That was a statement of fact.