Fields vs Bengals Review

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All and all, this was an inconsistent performance by Fields. His WRs clearly didn't help him out as much as they could have but he needs to pull the trigger a bit faster on some of these throws and/or get out of the pocket and to the boundary where he can run or draw the D in and throw over the top of them. Still a lot to learn for him but the good thing is when it counted he didn't fold and made just enough plays to win.

Pass 1 - Good plant and throw. WR needs to come back to the ball a bit more.

Run 1 - Thought this was a terrible spot and Fields should have had the 1st down.

Run 2 - Looks like Fields sees the underneath guy late and decides not to throw but probably could have just dumped this off to Willaims for a decent gain. In any event, he still gets positive yards on this with the run.

Pass 2 - Good read and throw here.

Sack 1 - Ball has to come out. Fields is at the end of the drop and has any number of options here really as he has one on ones across the board. Instead he sits there too long waiting for someone to get more separation instead of just picking a target and throw them open.

Pass 3 - Got bailed out by the refs that called this complete and in bounds but Fields should throw this a bit lower.

Pass 4 - Again he waits too late on this and quite frankly has a running lane. He really should have gotten out of the pocket on this one and then watched to see if the defender closes down on him or stays on their man especially since if he had scrambled to the left, he had Graham out there on a DB.

Run 3 - Good run and spin move here. Actually thought there were 2 other chances from him to keep it on this play and this was actually the best defended of the 3 options. I wonder if the Bears saw that the Bengals crashed down the other two times and thus called this ago but Fields committed a bit too early to keep it.

Pass 5 - This was a great throw by Fields but also would have been a tough catch by Mooney as it is a bit high for him. Just one of those plays where no one is really at fault but you would like to see Mooney find a way to come down with this.

Run 4 - This is where you see Fields learning. Think he realized he was staying in the pocket too long and so on this one he scrambled and got positive yards.

Sack 2 - Pressure comes to fast for Fields to do much here but this is a TD saving and game saving recovery most likely as 55 was about to scoop it up and run it in for a TD. Fields though didn't give up on the play and knocks the ball out as 55 was going to scoop it up.

Pass 6 - Simple pass but one of the few times the Bears WRs actually helped fields out.

Pass 7 - One of Fields better reads and throws of the day. This was similar to the one Fields and Mooney missed on earlier.

Run 5 - Nothing there so good scramble by Fields.

Pass 8 - Thought this was a poor effort by ARob. Didn't get elevated enough to shield the defender from the bell. ARob sort of drifts back as he jumps instead of jumping straight up in the air.

Pass 9 - Another brain fart by ARob. This is a beautiful pass and should have been caught for a TD.

Pass 10 - Basic checkdown to Mooney.

Run 6 - Decent scramble that may have gone for a TD if Graham had decided to block someone. Please cut him.

Pass 11 - Thought he should have thrown this a half sec earlier but Mooney should come down with this.

Pass 12 - He clearly doesn't see the defender dropping back after faking the rush. Gotta learn to pay attention to stuff like this.

Pass 13 - Basic checkdown.

Run 7 - Great scramble to save the game for the Bears.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also checked the time to throw metrics and Fields leads the NFL at 3.22 seconds of course in a small sample size. Hurts is next highest. He also led the preseason and had one of the longest times to throw in college so something to continue to watch as based on the above, he still appears to hold the ball too long when there is an opportunity to throw.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Can I just say I'm happy with the way Fields played? Obviously the results are a bit mixed but I on replay I saw a lot to be confident for (I was listening on radio during the live game, so my reactions are all biased by the win).

He didn't look lost, looked fairly comfortable with what was asked of him (though he needs to speed up his process) and gave some good film for the coaches to demonstrate how to improve. And hell, he came away with a W. That's all positive for a rookie!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I like Fields zip and accuracy. And his athleticism is probably top 5 in the NFL at the position.

He just needs to get more experience reading defenses and making throws on time.

Honestly, there is not a single player in the draft that I would want over Fields at this point. Not Lawrence, not Wilson, not Lance, not any non QB.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
All and all, this was an inconsistent performance by Fields. His WRs clearly didn't help him out as much as they could have but he needs to pull the trigger a bit faster on some of these throws and/or get out of the pocket and to the boundary where he can run or draw the D in and throw over the top of them. Still a lot to learn for him but the good thing is when it counted he didn't fold and made just enough plays to win.

Pass 1 - Good plant and throw. WR needs to come back to the ball a bit more.

Run 1 - Thought this was a terrible spot and Fields should have had the 1st down.

Run 2 - Looks like Fields sees the underneath guy late and decides not to throw but probably could have just dumped this off to Willaims for a decent gain. In any event, he still gets positive yards on this with the run.

Pass 2 - Good read and throw here.

Sack 1 - Ball has to come out. Fields is at the end of the drop and has any number of options here really as he has one on ones across the board. Instead he sits there too long waiting for someone to get more separation instead of just picking a target and throw them open.

Pass 3 - Got bailed out by the refs that called this complete and in bounds but Fields should throw this a bit lower.

Pass 4 - Again he waits too late on this and quite frankly has a running lane. He really should have gotten out of the pocket on this one and then watched to see if the defender closes down on him or stays on their man especially since if he had scrambled to the left, he had Graham out there on a DB.

Run 3 - Good run and spin move here. Actually thought there were 2 other chances from him to keep it on this play and this was actually the best defended of the 3 options. I wonder if the Bears saw that the Bengals crashed down the other two times and thus called this ago but Fields committed a bit too early to keep it.

Pass 5 - This was a great throw by Fields but also would have been a tough catch by Mooney as it is a bit high for him. Just one of those plays where no one is really at fault but you would like to see Mooney find a way to come down with this.

Run 4 - This is where you see Fields learning. Think he realized he was staying in the pocket too long and so on this one he scrambled and got positive yards.

Sack 2 - Pressure comes to fast for Fields to do much here but this is a TD saving and game saving recovery most likely as 55 was about to scoop it up and run it in for a TD. Fields though didn't give up on the play and knocks the ball out as 55 was going to scoop it up.

Pass 6 - Simple pass but one of the few times the Bears WRs actually helped fields out.

Pass 7 - One of Fields better reads and throws of the day. This was similar to the one Fields and Mooney missed on earlier.

Run 5 - Nothing there so good scramble by Fields.

Pass 8 - Thought this was a poor effort by ARob. Didn't get elevated enough to shield the defender from the bell. ARob sort of drifts back as he jumps instead of jumping straight up in the air.

Pass 9 - Another brain fart by ARob. This is a beautiful pass and should have been caught for a TD.

Pass 10 - Basic checkdown to Mooney.

Run 6 - Decent scramble that may have gone for a TD if Graham had decided to block someone. Please cut him.

Pass 11 - Thought he should have thrown this a half sec earlier but Mooney should come down with this.

Pass 12 - He clearly doesn't see the defender dropping back after faking the rush. Gotta learn to pay attention to stuff like this.

Pass 13 - Basic checkdown.

Run 7 - Great scramble to save the game for the Bears.
I'd really like to see the other angles of a few of those throws to Mooney.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Mooney thing is incorrectly taking on a life of it's own at CCS. There weren't any catches he "should" have made. He is 5'11", maybe. He did his best. The longer left sideline pass was not his or Field's fault, it was incomplete, period. The Allen Robertson one I believe should have been caught. Remy, not attacking you, your analysis seems about right.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Still think that Mooney TD pass would have been caught if thrown sooner

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Mooney thing is incorrectly taking on a life of it's own at CCS. There weren't any catches he "should" have made. He is 5'11", maybe. He did his best. The longer left sideline pass was not his or Field's fault, it was incomplete, period. The Allen Robertson one I believe should have been caught. Remy, not attacking you, your analysis seems about right.
It’s not like it was a diving attempt or something that needed major adjusting. He was running in stride and hit him in the hands.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s not like it was a diving attempt or something that needed major adjusting. He was running in stride and hit him in the hands.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
mooney mistiming/misthrow gets resolved with reps. they ran the same play later in the game (pass 7) and fields hit him nicely for that first down.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It was only the 2nd game and it's not like he got many first team reps this week to prepare, so it was what it was.

Overall I thought he just seemed a bit late on throws. This happens to many rookies where as opposed to throwing with anticipation they have to see it before they let it rip. The speed of the game is different and it will take some time for him to adjust.

Numbers weren't great. We can talk about the ARob brain farts, but truthfully nothing he dropped was a routine catch. There was a defender there and it was either a box out/jump ball or a diving catch. Granted ARob is the kind of receiver that you take that gamble on, but it's not like he was wide open and dropped a soft, catchable ball.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also checked the time to throw metrics and Fields leads the NFL at 3.22 seconds of course in a small sample size. Hurts is next highest. He also led the preseason and had one of the longest times to throw in college so something to continue to watch as based on the above, he still appears to hold the ball too long when there is an opportunity to throw.
Has a habit of continuing through all his reads and not taking an easy open throw early in the sequence. Check out the play at 4:05 an early read is Monty in the flat and he's got a ton a space and only one backer between him and the goal line. Threw it late to Mooney on the other side. I mistakenly called Mooney, Graham yesterday.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he dove, he doesn't touch that. He was properly trying to run through the catch and people aren't appreciating the effort. There is no blame or equal blame on that ball.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It was only the 2nd game and it's not like he got many first team reps this week to prepare, so it was what it was.

Overall I thought he just seemed a bit late on throws. This happens to many rookies where as opposed to throwing with anticipation they have to see it before they let it rip. The speed of the game is different and it will take some time for him to adjust.

Numbers weren't great. We can talk about the ARob brain farts, but truthfully nothing he dropped was a routine catch. There was a defender there and it was either a box out/jump ball or a diving catch. Granted ARob is the kind of receiver that you take that gamble on, but it's not like he was wide open and dropped a soft, catchable ball.
Robinson absolutely dropped a ball any wr in the NFL should catch. It was neither a diving catch nor a jump ball. The deep pass was right in the bread basket with no defender getting a hand on it

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
mooney mistiming/misthrow gets resolved with reps. they ran the same play later in the game (pass 7) and fields hit him nicely for that first down.

I think on the first Mooney throw Pass 5, Mooney ran it a bit flat at say 110 degrees which is why the throw was a bit high. The 2nd time around on Pass 7, Mooney ran it at around say 140 degrees hence why he then had to get low to catch it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Robinson absolutely dropped a ball any wr in the NFL should catch. It was neither a diving catch nor a jump ball. The deep pass was right in the bread basket with no defender getting a hand on it
Initially, I thought he had more resistance from the DB when I saw that but nope, I expect any NFL WR to catch that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think on the first Mooney throw Pass 5, Mooney ran it a bit flat at say 110 degrees which is why the throw was a bit high. The 2nd time around on Pass 7, Mooney ran it at around say 140 degrees hence why he then had to get low to catch it.
They both adjusted for the safety on the miss. Fields try to throw him open and it just didn't work out. It happens.