Fields vs Bengals Review

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Robinson absolutely dropped a ball any wr in the NFL should catch. It was neither a diving catch nor a jump ball. The deep pass was right in the bread basket with no defender getting a hand on it
I'm not seeing it that way. Defender was right there and they were hand fighting. It was a great throw, but not an easy catch by any means.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The fact we have a QB that throws people open is exciting
Yup. he's great in giving catchers the advantage with one on ones. Good misses. When he decides where to throw it, I appreciate his placements.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not seeing it that way. Defender was right there and they were hand fighting. It was a great throw, but not an easy catch by any means.
Watch it again. Initially, I also though he was likely shielded or moved with a bump but that wasn't the case. He had a clean shot at it.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It was only the 2nd game and it's not like he got many first team reps this week to prepare, so it was what it was.

Overall I thought he just seemed a bit late on throws. This happens to many rookies where as opposed to throwing with anticipation they have to see it before they let it rip. The speed of the game is different and it will take some time for him to adjust.

Numbers weren't great. We can talk about the ARob brain farts, but truthfully nothing he dropped was a routine catch. There was a defender there and it was either a box out/jump ball or a diving catch. Granted ARob is the kind of receiver that you take that gamble on, but it's not like he was wide open and dropped a soft, catchable ball.
That dime Fields threw in the end zone was completely catchable. I’m talking about the long ball one

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are yall talking different throws. Is Pegger talking about the jump ball in the end zone where the defender got a hand on it while yall talking the deep pass where it goes straight thru the breadbasket?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So many drops. The ARob really hurt, right in the old bread basket.

Bust

Liked Posts:
mooney mistiming/misthrow gets resolved with reps. they ran the same play later in the game (pass 7) and fields hit him nicely for that first down.

Mooney led the team with 8 targets. Arob had 4. When it's all said and done Fields goto guy may become another name. Tough road game vs playoff Browns team is another MUST WIN after the Packer loss.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The Mooney thing is incorrectly taking on a life of it's own at CCS. There weren't any catches he "should" have made. He is 5'11", maybe. He did his best. The longer left sideline pass was not his or Field's fault, it was incomplete, period. The Allen Robertson one I believe should have been caught. Remy, not attacking you, your analysis seems about right.
I know right. Fields just missed him by a foot at most, but some on here and in the media have just matter of fact called it a drop.

FFS even Nagy threw Mooney under the bus, “Is it a drop? I don’t know,” coach Matt Nagy said Monday. “It’s hard to say. It was a tough catch, but I’ve seen him make those catches.”

No he hasn't, Mooney got two finger tips on the ball that was thrown on a rope from his most outstretched arm on a dead sprint . That catch has never been seen or made in the NFL. FFS, it was a good throw that he missed by inches on the safer side of missing, esp when throwing to a smaller speed WR.

I'm all in on Fields, but that doesn't include reinventing the laws of physics to make his near misses seem not his fault.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mooney led the team with 8 targets. Arob had 4. When it's all said and done Fields goto guy may become another name. Tough road game vs playoff Browns team is another MUST WIN after the Packer loss.

Part of the reason why I wasn't that upset about not resigning ARob. ARob is like a bad QB magnet. If you have a good QB who is accurate then you may not force the ball into ARob as much.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
I know right. Fields just missed him by a foot at most, but some on here and in the media have just matter of fact called it a drop.

FFS even Nagy threw Mooney under the bus, “Is it a drop? I don’t know,” coach Matt Nagy said Monday. “It’s hard to say. It was a tough catch, but I’ve seen him make those catches.”

No he hasn't, Mooney got two finger tips on the ball that was thrown on a rope from his most outstretched arm on a dead sprint . That catch has never been seen or made in the NFL. FFS, it was a good throw that he missed by inches on the safer side of missing, esp when throwing to a smaller speed WR.

I'm all in on Fields, but that doesn't include reinventing the laws of physics to make his near misses seem not his fault.
OBJ says hi! :)

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
OBJ says hi! :)
OBJ used the entirety of his forefinger and opposable thumb to catch the ball. Mooney's catch would be like asking a camel to catch a whizzing football with his two toes. I mean have you ever seen a camel toe catch a football?

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OBJ used the entirety of his forefinger and opposable thumb to catch the ball. Mooney's catch would be like asking a camel to catch a whizzing football with his two toes. I mean have you ever seen a camel toe catch a football?

That's correct. And I don't want OBJ on the Bears but Mooney is not OBJ.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Are yall talking different throws. Is Pegger talking about the jump ball in the end zone where the defender got a hand on it while yall talking the deep pass where it goes straight thru the breadbasket?
Think Pegger was talking the jump ball, I’m talking the latter

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’m clearly a pervert

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Also checked the time to throw metrics and Fields leads the NFL at 3.22 seconds of course in a small sample size. Hurts is next highest. He also led the preseason and had one of the longest times to throw in college so something to continue to watch as based on the above, he still appears to hold the ball too long when there is an opportunity to throw.

i read this metric on twitter several months ago when someone said that guys that can't get the ball out fast don't last in the NFL....i coach 8th through high school and this is my biggest pet peeve...there's an early and brief window when guys make their first breaks and are open and I see guys not able to anticipate and get the ball out...

jbunch14

Liked Posts:

Once in Abu Dhabi, but I lost the video....

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
There's got to be a video...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i read this metric on twitter several months ago when someone said that guys that can't get the ball out fast don't last in the NFL....i coach 8th through high school and this is my biggest pet peeve...there's an early and brief window when guys make their first breaks and are open and I see guys not able to anticipate and get the ball out...

Mobile QBs can survive taking a bit longer but you probably want to be around 3 to 3.1 seconds max on the high end. He has improved since preseason albeit in a very small sample size as he was 3.53 vs 3.22 now.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm actually talking about both. On both plays it's not like Chidobe Awuzie was making it easy. The jump ball was highly contested and on the throw that went through ARob's breadbasket he was hand fighting him at the top of the route and ARob had to bend the route in a bit so it could be on his body.

I totally think he could have caught the second ball, but to call it an 'easy' catch is a bit much. Awuzie is a physical corner who does make WRs work for their catches. ARob could have done better, but let's give a tiny bit of credit to the defender, who did a decent job at making things hard.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Watch it again. Initially, I also though he was likely shielded or moved with a bump but that wasn't the case. He had a clean shot at it.
He had to hand fight and adjust his path to make it catchable. A lot of lesser WRs don't get to that spot.

Was it a catchable ball? Yes it was. Was it an easy catch? Not in my eyes.