Fields vs Bills Week 2 Review.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Pass 1 - Though Fields missed the read on this on. Freeze at 2 seconds and Fields has to realize this play is dead on arrival as there are 3 defenders looking at the side of the field Fields is looking to throw but only 2 WRs. That should let him know that on the other side of the Field he has 3 WRs with 3 defenders. If he had checked the other side, he would have seen a guy in the middle of the field open for 5 or 6 yards.

Pass 2 - Freeze this again and 87 is open a bit shorter than Lacy but with more space to run. So probably should have thrown it to him and let him run for the first rather than throwing it tight to Lacy.

Run 1 - He has the TE in space again but holds on the ball a bit too long then has to bail the pocket and run. Gotta pull the trigger on that.

Pass 3 - Money throw and PI on the defender who had an arm bar on Ridley. However, Ridley sort of drifts to the sideline instead of attacking the ball which is part of the reason I think the ref didn't make the call. This was weak effort by Ridley and he really has no business being on the team.

Pass 4 - Thought this was on where Fields should have scrambled to create an opp as even if he completes the pass, too many defenders to get a first. 24 is also open with more space to run albeit on a shorter route.

Pass 5 - Roll out limits his opens so made the right read here.

Pass 6 - Great read and throw but Adams drops it. This one where Adams needs to understand the situation and that he already has the first. He is worrying about running after the catch instead of being content with the chains moving, securing the catch and getting down.

Run 2 - Freeze at 1:17 and Fields should have read that the LB 48 is flat footed and that RB 24 has a one on one and can get over the top of him. Need to throw with a bit more anticipating here but waits a tick to late and instead has to scramble for the first. As it is 4th down, maybe he felt it was too risky to that that shot but depending on how quickly the S that broke to the middle reacts, this is a possible TD pass if he hits it.

Pass 7 - Fields is going to revitalize James career. Beautiful route and throw and this is probably a TD if Fields does lead James a bit too much but can't really complain about this.

Run 3 - Runs for the first here but probably had a window for 46 initially but can't complain about the result.

Pass 8 - Everyone follows Lacy which means Fields should now that the TE should be open in middle of the Field but never checks him before the pressure gets to him. Thinks he is trying to throw this away but almost leave it hanging for a pick.

Pass 9 - This is probably a TD if James times the jump right and actually jumps properly but he is a bit out of sync here and it goes over his head.

Pass 10 - Fields just sails this one. Although not a great read as too many guys on the TE and he has Ridley one on one on although not sure what kind of route Ridley is running.

Run 4 - Nothing there so a great scramble for the first.

Big Hit - Fields and the C fail to check the D prior to the snap and miss the Defender sneaking up. He has to read that and know to get rid of the ball.

Pass 11 - Nothing here and so Fields throws it away.

Pass 12 - Maybe could have thrown this a bit more to the sideline but Johnson has to make this catch.

Pass 13 - This is another pass where with a bit of anticipation he should throw this early as James is about to beat his man. However, he waits a tick too long and the pocket collapse.

Pass 14 - Again Fields is a tick too late to read the pass to the slot WR and has to come off it and check it down.

Pass 15 - Good read and throw here adding a little Mahomes jump pass.

Pass 16 - Nice evasion and safe throw.

Pass 17 - Good movement in the pocket and good pass to the TE.

Pass 18 - This is the play that shows how quickly Fields learns. Similar blitz as the big hit but this time with a CB but Fields makes sure to get rid of the ball a lot quicker this time.

Pass 19 - Feels the pressure and evades the rush and then wisely gets rid of the ball.

Run 5 - Fields does a nice job evading the blitz but this is one where he problem should now look downfield as he had created space for himself. Instead he runs it for minimal gain.

Sack 1 - Probably his worse attempted scramble as he should of scrambled outside to his right but tries to take it up the middle.

Pass 20 - Nice movement but has to checkdown for minimal yards'

Pass 21 - Not a great pass but the TE should have made a better play on the ball. Seems they are worried about getting hit.

Pass 22 - Has to scramble and throw short of the market on 4th down.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All in all, this was a bit of an inconsistent performance. If there is one theme coming out of this for me, it is that Fields is still seeing guys open rather than throwing with anticipation. Similar to Cutler in that regard. He is waiting a tick to long to pull the trigger which in the NFL is the difference between threading the needle with a pass vs having to come off a route and possible scramble. If you could give him Dalton's anticipation then Fields would be a star Day 1 but he still needs to learn to throw guys open rather than waiting for them to be open.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hard to judge him at this point though playing with 2s and 3s. I mean the kid is surrounded by absolute garbage.
missed the game, saw Kmet had no catches or targets, did he not playdue to coaches decision?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
13 of his 22 drop backs were either pressured or broken plays. Unacceptable. RT is terrible across the board.

Well to be fair, some of that is not getting the ball out on time. He had the longest time to throw in college and is taking too long to pull the trigger at times. The pass rush is going to break through eventually if you holding the ball too long.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All in all, this was a bit of an inconsistent performance. If there is one theme coming out of this for me, it is that Fields is still seeing guys open rather than throwing with anticipation. Similar to Cutler in that regard. He is waiting a tick to long to pull the trigger which in the NFL is the difference between threading the needle with a pass vs having to come off a route and possible scramble. If you could give him Dalton's anticipation then Fields would be a star Day 1 but he still needs to learn to throw guys open rather than waiting for them to be open.
I think those are good takes and why Nagy wants to hold him back. And with those takes, he still didn't play badly because of his talent. I love the way he gives catchers opportunities when they're covered. He's also one of those guys than can have both touch and velocity on deep balls and varies his trajectories. He's got natural arm talent that you can't teach but he needs better sequencing/timing to throw. I suspect this is one reason he fell. He's doing fine for his time in this O and as good as the other rookies outside the one that got picked after him. Jones seems to have picked up his less complex O quickly even if his results haven't been lights out.

As well as Mitch played, he still lead in almost picks and missed a deep ball that Fields nails.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Way too much jibber jabber….. the Bears sucked….that’s it that’s the whole review

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think those are good takes and why Nagy wants to hold him back. And with those takes, he still didn't play badly because of his talent. I love the way he gives catchers opportunities when they're covered. He's also one of those guys than can have both touch and velocity on deep balls and varies his trajectories. He's got natural arm talent that you can't teach but he needs better sequencing/timing to throw. I suspect this is one reason he fell. He's doing fine for his time in this O and as good as the other rookies outside the one that got picked after him. Jones seems to have picked up his less complex O quickly even if his results haven't been lights out.

As well as Mitch played, he still lead in almost picks and missed a deep ball that Fields nails.

Yeah I personally would still like to give him until the first Detroit game before I start him. His talent can make up for some of the flaws in is game but I think he would benefit from watching real NFL games for a bit.

As for Mitch, he looked like the same guy to me. He has had good games with us before in scenarios like this where his first read is open and he doesn't have to think. Honestly wasn't impressed by his game at all as anytime his first read was covered, he didn't do much.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Way too much jibber jabber….. the Bears sucked….that’s it that’s the whole review

It sounds like this thread isn't for you then. Might I suggest one of the other threads on the first page that are more in line with your sensibilities.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It sounds like this thread isn't for you then. Might I suggest one of the other threads on the first page that are more in line with your sensibilities.
Bwahahahahaha… you might not.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
@remydat thanks for the breakdown buddy. My sons had hockey games yesterday, so I was not able to catch the game. Appreciate your breakdown of Fields.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Good review although I will say I think Justins problem yesterday of holding the ball too long was because he stepped into the game already down 34-6 and felt an even bigger need to make big plays to revive the DOA offense .

Take away his 4 rushes for 46 yards and the Bears rbs had 13 rushing attempts and 40 yards for the entire game .

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah I personally would still like to give him until the first Detroit game before I start him. His talent can make up for some of the flaws in is game but I think he would benefit from watching real NFL games for a bit.

As for Mitch, he looked like the same guy to me. He has had good games with us before in scenarios like this where his first read is open and he doesn't have to think. Honestly wasn't impressed by his game at all as anytime his first read was covered, he didn't do much.
I think he got to his 2nd read a few time or at least was lookin off but ya, same guy. Serviceable in they right setting but not a destination.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Good review although I will say I think Justins problem yesterday of holding the ball too long was because he stepped into the game already down 34-6 and felt an even bigger need to make big plays to revive the DOA offense .

Take away his 4 rushes for 46 yards and the Bears rbs had 13 rushing attempts and 40 yards for the entire game .

Justins skillset really gets a bit redundant in a game like that.

Gotta have a good run game and set up some good play action to give the kid any chance as a rook.

I'm just happy he got leveled, got up, and was A-okay. You know previous bears qb's would be shitting their pants if they got hit like that.