Fields vs Browns

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Run 1 - Nothing really open for Fields so he scrambles for a decent gain.

Sack 1 - The OL blocking on this is atrocious but so is Fields pocket presence. You can see the pocket collapsing right away but the Browns have zero contain. Instead of scrambling to his right where he can run or throw if the defender breaks down on him, Fields just stands there waiting for the sack. The dude has no pocket awareness on this play and this will be a theme where he just takes too long to see things.

Pass 1 - One of the few times he throws on time likely because the Browns play soft coverage.

Sack 2 - Freeze this at 37 seconds. Fields is looking at Mooney who is open for an easy pass. Instead Fields holds it for some inexplicable reason and is sacked. Like again, this is the fucking NFL. You can't just sit there waiting for something better. Mooney has completely beat his man and if Fields throws this with anticipation Mooney is still running. If this is Dalton the ball is already out. Sorry Bears fans, the kid is not ready.

Sack 3 - Freeze at 49 seconds. Again what the fuck is Fields reading? He has Mooney open again in the middle of the Field with room to run but he still holds the ball and takes another sack. This is the NFL, windows don't stay open for long. This ball has to come out dude. Period.

Pass 2 - One of the few times Fields threw on time and surprise it is completed.

Pass 3 - Fields is late on this throw which causes the defender to close down on ARob. To his credit, he then squeezes this in but if he had thrown it on time then ARob catches it with a chance at YAC.

Pass 4 - Easy read and Fields sails it. No biggie shit happens. At least he actually threw on time.

Sack 4 - Freeze this at 1:35. Kmet has planted his foot and Fields is at the end of his drop. Again the ball has to come out. Kmet is going to be NFL open if Fields throws this on time but once again he waits and runs himself into a sack. That is 4 sacks now and all 4 of them could have been avoided if Fields were more decisive. He simply can't wait this long in the NFL with the OL we have. This is not OSU playing Shitball U.

Pass 5 - This is Fields predetermining throws. Kmet is bracketed and if he was fast thinking, he should know that means Monty has no one on him in the flat even if he isn't looking at him because the 2nd guy on Kmet is Monty's guy. So why the fuck do you throw to Kmet instead of whipping it to Monty and letting him try and make a guy miss.

Pass 6 - Kmet is open if Fields looks left but instead again he is just a tad too late on this throw to Mooney for this to work. Not as late as on other throws so won't knock him much on this as he also had a defender in his face but he has to throw as the WR is breaking not after.

Sack 5 - At this point, I don't know what he is being coached to do but there is nothing on the front side. He has to know Kmet is chipping then releasing so he has to pivot to that side faster. You are at the end of your drop, if you don't like anything on the front side then get your eyes over to the back side where Kmet is open with space for a modest gain. You can't just stay on the route and wait for it to be open. It either is or isn't and with this OL, if it isn't then move the fuck on to the backside.

Pass 7 - The rollouts people clamoring for and no one is fucking fooled probably because why would they as if you don't have success in the pocket, teams will be looking for the rollout. Having said that, this is a good throw on the move by Fields but Goodwin doesn't come back to the ball and lets the defender get over him for the tip. It is clear that the OL and WRs are not helping Fields out at all.

Sack 6 - Freeze at 2:36, Kmet is about to flash across the defender and there will be a little window. Fields hesitates though and the window is gone. The shit OL means he now has to scramble but gets tackled from behind. Again, another play where the blocking is not great but again Fields has to make a decision quicker here. Stop hesitating and throw the ball.

Pass 8 - Another roll-out that fools absolutely no one. But again, bad decision by Fields. He thinks he is going to juke Garrett and realizes he is fucked and then throws incomplete. There is nothing on the front side here. Monty is open on the backside but Fields isn't fast enough to think about what the front side being shut down means for the backside and thinks he is playing Shitball U where he can juke the DE instead of reversing field and checking backside. Nope. This is the NFL.

Pass 9 - No idea why he think he can make this throw. Once again man open on the backside but Fields never makes his way there.

Pass 10 - Probably his best throw of the day to ARob.

Pass 11 - Throws on time to Monty who can't come down with it. At least it was on time and once again his teammates don't help him out.

Run 1 - Not a good zone read at all as it fools no one. Fields lucky he didn't get killed on a bit of a late hit.

Sack 7 - Another roll out that fools no one. I hope people realize that this is the NFL and this idea that teams aren't going to be prepared for rollouts of a mobile QB who is struggling within the pocket is foolish. The Browns read it so well that Fields slips for a huge loss. This is the problem with roll outs when they fail. They can easily lead to huge losses and this probably costs us a TD.

Pass 12 - Takes what the D gives him and Monty runs for 11 yards or so. If only he had done more of this.

Pass 13 - Nothing really open here so he tries to squeeze this in to ARob. Probably should have just taken off as he has a lane.

Pass 14 - This feels like he is scared of the rush and just throws it instead of checking other reads. Incomplete and no chance. He has ARob or Kmet open on the backside if he had bothered to check or he could have run it as he has an open lane.

Run 2 - Decent gain on the read option.

Pass 15 - This is still actually a tad too late but not a bad pass.

Pass 16 - Again this throw is a tad late which allows the defender to knock it away.

Sack 8 - No chance on this one as the rush gets to him before he can finish his drop.

Pass 17 - Freeze this at 5:25, and ARob is one on one at the top of the screen. Take your shot young man. Instead he dumps it to Monty who makes a nice gain. But you would like to see him recognize the one on one and give ARob a chance to make a play.

Pass 18 - Freeze this at 5:38 and Kmet has the LB flat footed and his about to blow by him with Fields looking down the middle of the field. Fields doesn't pull the trigger and checks down to Monty incomplete. Again those are the types of throws he was drafted to make. The throws he was squeeze into Jesse James in camp. Those are NFL windows he is refusing to hit.

Pass 19 - Does well to avoid the sack and throws it away.

Pass 20 - Again not sure what he is seeing. Mooney is flashing across his vision with a few steps on his guy and if he leads him, Mooney probably runs for a first down. Instead he holds the ball and makes a tougher throw to ARob that is out of bounds.

Sack 9 - No chance on this one.

Last edited:

greg23

Liked Posts:
Again.....all the pre draft analysis on why he dropped in the draft is being exposed

Slow to process
Holds the ball too long
Hitch in motion

He needs alot of work and this isn't the group to help with that work.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My conclusions - Nagy should be fired, the OL still sucks balls, and his WRs are not helping him much. Having said all of that, I did not see anything in this game that shows me that Fields understands what he is trying to do out there. He has very little pocket awareness and is routinely late which when your OL and OC suck is just compounding his problems.

To be clear, I really don't care about Nagy or the OL. Nagy should be fired soon and everyone on this OL aside from Whitehair is probably not starting next year as I expect it to be Jenkins, Borom, Whitehair, new C and new RG. So yeah they are shit and you can try and blame them 100% for everything but the issue right now long term is Fields is taking too long to feel pressure or go thru reads. You can try and roll him out all you want but if he continues to miss reads and take too long, teams will be ready for the roll outs like the Browns were.

And frankly rolling him out doesn't solve the problem. It just kicks the can down the road for the new regime. If we get nothing out of this season, Fields needs to learn to sit in the pocket and get the ball out at the end of his drop 70% of the time. Then he can ad lib or take his time the other 30%. Right now he rarely if ever throws at the end of his drop and just waits and waits and waits until his preferred route is open. That may work at OSU but it will not work in the NFL.

So the Bears have a choice. You can put lipstick on the pig and try and hide his deficiencies by rolling him out or you can continue to call plays in the pocket until he gets it thru his head that his long term survival in the NFL is going to come from getting the ball out on time. Once he has a basic understanding of that then you can add wrinkles. This isn't about rolling him out to try and win useless games this year. This is about getting him to learn the position so he can succeed long term and he needs to throw on fucking time if he wants to succeed.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Im not gonna read it, but this is a very quality post.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Excellent write-up of the shit playcalling Fields had to deal with. Yeah, he missed some reads, and was late a few times but wow look at the difference with how Greg RZoman helped Lamar Jackson and Nagy cannot help Fields.

It is weird that you don't care about Nagy or the OL but do care about Fields' first ever start being given plays like what Nagy hamstrung him with?

Bizarre choice of what toc are about, but it is you and Remy will Remy hahaha

Cheers!

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My conclusions - Nagy should be fired, the OL still sucks balls, and his WRs are not helping him much. Having said all of that, I did not see anything in this game that shows me that Fields understands what he is trying to do out there. He has very little pocket awareness and is routinely late which when your OL and OC suck is just compounding his problems.

To be clear, I really don't care about Nagy or the OL. Nagy should be fired soon and everyone on this OL aside from Whitehair is probably not starting next year as I expect it to be Jenkins, Borom, Whitehair, new C and new RG. So yeah they are shit and you can try and blame them 100% for everything but the issue right now long term is Fields is taking too long to feel pressure or go thru reads. You can try and roll him out all you want but if he continues to miss reads and take too long, teams will be ready for the roll outs like the Browns were.

And frankly rolling him out doesn't solve the problem. It just kicks the can down the road for the new regime. If we get nothing out of this season, Fields needs to learn to sit in the pocket and get the ball out at the end of his drop 70% of the time. Then he can ad lib or take his time the other 30%. Right now he rarely if ever throws at the end of his drop and just waits and waits and waits until his preferred route is open. That may work at OSU but it will not work in the NFL.

So the Bears have a choice. You can put lipstick on the pig and try and hide his deficiencies by rolling him out or you can continue to call plays in the pocket until he gets it thru his head that his long term survival in the NFL is going to come from getting the ball out on time. Once he has a basic understanding of that then you can add wrinkles. This isn't about rolling him out to try and win useless games this year. This is about getting him to learn the position so he can succeed long term and he needs to throw on fucking time if he wants to succeed.
To me you dress that pig up lol. Don’t let him lose confidence

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

It’s game 1 lol with one week of practice. You move the pocket, run the football under fucking center, split the field in half with action, he’a obviously overwhelmed yet you keep jamming the square peg into the round hole. He’s an idiot.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It’s game 1 lol with one week of practice. You move the pocket, run the football under fucking center, split the field in half with action, he’a obviously overwhelmed yet you keep jamming the square peg into the round hole. He’s an idiot.

This is what I don't get.

Dalton is qb, you run a ton of draws, screens, and play action.

You get fields as the starter and you'd expect that to be the gameplan, but NOPE. Same shitty RPO that fools no one, almost no screens, and just a bunch of curl routes.

The only fucking deep ball was a adjusted route by mooney on a blown up play. Disgusting. Nagy does exactly the opposite of what the defense expects. Which is usually the best way to make your team fail.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
same energy

517730cad29c283f25229fb7c2217822.gif

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The first time Nagy rolled him out and changed the launch point was to the left with a right handed QB. You can’t make this shit up.

He’s lucky he wasn’t hammered trying to square up his shoulders to get the ball off.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Excellent write-up of the shit playcalling Fields had to deal with. Yeah, he missed some reads, and was late a few times but wow look at the difference with how Greg RZoman helped Lamar Jackson and Nagy cannot help Fields.

It is weird that you don't care about Nagy or the OL but do care about Fields' first ever start being given plays like what Nagy hamstrung him with?

Cheers!

My concern is I saw too much Trubisky in his play where he is literally looking at the guy that is open but not throwing it. Of course, it is his debut but this is the same problem he had in college, preseason and the previous two games. He literally leads the entire NFL in time to throw. He leads all mobile QBs and he leads all the other rookies. He 100% just takes too long and it has been a recurring theme his entire playing career. That is the issue. That isn't a Nagy problem that is a Fields problem.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you look at when Fields did well in preseason there were play action passes not a fuckton of shotgun RPOs....

If Fields is not seeing the open guys quick enough how is this not being caught in practice?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To me you dress that pig up lol. Don’t let him lose confidence

Here is my issue. Dressing up the pig gets you Jared Goff. McVay covered up his weaknesses and 5 years later he cost them a SB and his career looks to be over in Detroit. You gotta be able to progress thru reads in the NFL unless you want to take the chance he can stay healthy as the next Lamar Jackson.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Perhaps you missed in the quote you responded to that I said Nagy should be fired. It is game 1 and he can get better but there is no reason to pretend he was not shit out there. He was. I am sorry but you want a QB to be further along in terms of getting thru progressions than this if they are going to start in the NFL.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Here is my issue. Dressing up the pig gets you Jared Goff. McVay covered up his weaknesses and 5 years later he cost them a SB and his career looks to be over in Detroit. You gotta be able to progress thru reads in the NFL unless you want to take the chance he can stay healthy as the next Lamar Jackson.
I’m not saying to completely cover him up but as a rookie limit his mistakes. Nagy is just throwing him out there and saying fuck it. Hell dumb down the playbook if needed

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Cheers!
I guess if you really do think Nagy and the OL are going to be replaced there’s no point in worrying about it?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

LOL wut? I mean you cant come to the conclusion any post is a quality post without reading it right?

And yes it is a quality post

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I’m not saying to completely cover him up but as a rookie limit his mistakes. Nagy is just throwing him out there and saying fuck it. Hell dumb down the playbook if needed
What happened to growing pains being good for him? I would rather go back to Dalton as long as Nagy is calling plays, but in the end Justin really needs to be able to sit in the pocket and read the field / distribute the ball.

We didn’t trade up for a guy who you have to dumb the play book down for long term and if he doesn’t get into that habit now when will he?

greg23

Liked Posts:
If you look at when Fields did well in preseason there were play action passes not a fuckton of shotgun RPOs....

If Fields is not seeing the open guys quick enough how is this not being caught in practice?
You know what helps a guy who holds thr ball too long (really any qb)?

Play action from under center

How many times do we do that in a game?