CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And why montgomery has done so well

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i had a lot of similar thoughts, except I'll go where you're not going....I don't think the ability to think fast enough to run a quick strike thing is a skill that can be developed, i think you either have it or not...I say this as I watch Garoppolo, who is considered a moderate to low level starter now and would easily be the best QB on our roster and has one of the quickest releases in the league....I don't ever see Fields being able to do what JimmyG can do. Go back and rewatch the Bills preseason game. Look how Daboll has Trubisky working on getting the quick slants out as fast as possible. Fields kills Trubisky on medium and short accuracy but Trubisky kills Fields at the short game, and you HAVE to have the short game in the NFL...you can survive having a decent short game and questionable longer game, but not vice versa.

I disagree. Look at how Allen has progressed under Daboll. Like Fields, Allen likes to push it down the field but Daboll has went through the process of getting Allen to live with the short stuff 70% of the time and then take his chances deep the other 30%. Right now Fields is looking deep pretty much all the time like Allen did his rookie year. That is fixable if you have the right coach. Nagy may not be that guy but I would much rather Fields learn now that he can't just look downfield all the time. If that needs to be beat into him with 9 sacks then so be it as 6 of those sacks I judge could have been avoided if he had taken what the D was giving him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The o-line was completely dominated. He was getting pressure in under 2 seconds on almost every play and the Browns were doing it mostly with just their front 4. You're asking a rookie QB to get the ball out in under 2 seconds. Not a thing.

This is why the Bears didn't attempt anything downfield in week one and Dalton was basically throwing it as quickly as humanly possible. He knew the offensive line could not pass block for more than 2 seconds. The offensive line is a disaster.

Bullshit, Go through all the sack plays and he was at the end of his drop on most of them meaning the play was designed for the ball to have been thrown before the sack. If you disagree go read my description of all the Sack plays and tell me where I am wrong. 3 of those sacks he had no chance. On the others he is late with the ball and in some cases had guys wide open like Mooney twice and did not pull the trigger.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bullshit, Go through all the sack plays and he was at the end of his drop on most of them meaning the play was designed for the ball to have been thrown before the sack. If you disagree go read my description of all the Sack plays and tell me where I am wrong. 3 of those sacks he had no chance. On the others he is late with the ball and in some cases had guys wide open like Mooney twice and did not pull the trigger.

He needs to sit and he needs to play. Quite the conundrum.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I agree to a point. Confidence is part of development too. Nagy ass ain’t helping with anything right now and having him see ghost early fucks up everything
Which is why we just need to go back to dalton. You can’t commit to him once Dalton is healthy and then go back to Dalton. You just can’t do it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This isn’t Madden where you can just press a button and the player responds by throwing or moving immediately. The kind of pressures we were giving up will destroy any offense, let alone one run by a rookie.

Things like “why didn’t he immediately roll out of the collapsing pocket to his right” or “why didn’t he throw a dart to Mooney (regardless of if he's even looking for the ball) when he’s got a free rusher in his face” just aren't realistic.

And that's not considering things like on Pass 18, there's a reason you only see 9 Browns defenders on the screen and the LB lets Kmet go by, there are safeties back there that are going to cover him.

On Pass 18, you throw that ball in the gap between the LB and the S who have deep responsibilities. That is an NFL window. His problem is he is waiting until Kmet is past the LB instead of throwing it the minute Kmet gets on the LB and the LB is still flat footed. There is no way the LB can turn and run with Kmet and make a play. There is also no way the S playing deep can close that fast if he throws it with the right timing. The problem is he doesn't have the right timing right now.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I disagree. Look at how Allen has progressed under Daboll. Like Fields, Allen likes to push it down the field but Daboll has went through the process of getting Allen to live with the short stuff 70% of the time and then take his chances deep the other 30%. Right now Fields is looking deep pretty much all the time like Allen did his rookie year. That is fixable if you have the right coach. Nagy may not be that guy but I would much rather Fields learn now that he can't just look downfield all the time. If that needs to be beat into him with 9 sacks then so be it as 6 of those sacks I judge could have been avoided if he had taken what the D was giving him.
well if it is possible to hone that skill, I promise you the current clown car isn't going to know how to do it

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Given his situation, sitting will do more for him than playing. I would argue playing is detrimental to his development right now.

I wouldn't go that far yet. The question is how he responds to watching this tape. If he is a fast learning then we should say drastic improvement against the Lions. If he struggles against the Lions then it is time to think about shutting him down.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
well if it is possible to hone that skill, I promise you the current clown car isn't going to know how to do it

Disagree. This is basic coaching and film review that anyone can do. The only question is how quickly can Fields learn from it and can he speed up his processing time. But this isn't rocket science. It is pretty obvious that when you come to the end of your drop, the ball is supposed to come out and it is pretty obvious on tape when it did not in Fields case.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I wouldn't go that far yet. The question is how he responds to watching this tape. If he is a fast learning then we should say drastic improvement against the Lions. If he struggles against the Lions then it is time to think about shutting him down.
I would. What good came out of today? Seriously, in what respect did he take a step forward as a QB?