Fields vs Lions

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Have to cobble this together as couldn't find a youtube that had all his plays.

Pass 1 - Focus this week seems to be throwing on time and this was a good example of Fields throwing just as the defender chasing Kmet gives him a window. Sometimes you just gotta take what the D gives you.

Pass 2 - Fields gets this out on time but I have no idea why on 3rd and 5 you running a 4 yard curl. Luckily we converted the 4th down.

Pass 3 - Fields probably would love to have this throw back as a better pass and Mooney has room to run but this is an example of his WR finally making a play for him.

Pass 4 - This pass speaks for itself. Absolutely beautiful ball thrown perfectly and on time.

Run 1 - This was an improvement on last week where I felt Fields hung in the pocket to long when nothing was there. Instead he gets to the end of his drop, sees things are covered and then gets himself on the move while still keeping his eyes downfield. In the end the scrambles for the first down but the good thing was he was still watching for something to develop downfield.

Pass 5 - Not in the vid above but this was the 3rd and 8 at our own 7 yard line. I would like for Fields to recognize where the pressure is coming from as he waits a tad bit late to get rid of this and is hit by an unblocked blitzer. If he had recognized this sooner, he has options to get rid of he ball albeit short of the 1st down but with an unblocked blitzer, you gotta get the ball out.

Pass 6 - Not in the vid. This time Fields feels the pressure and rather than throw hot spins out of it. He then scrambles to his right and throws a very catchable ball to Kmet but Kmet stumbles and bumbles this into an incompletion. You really would want Kmet to do a better job here as this was a big play if he wasn't so fucking clumsy.

Pass 7 - Would love to see Fields throw this more in stride as ARob has room to run if this is thrown out in front. Instead it is a bit behind him which allows the defender to wrap ARob up. Still nice quick read and pass.

Pass 8 - Simple swing pass to Williams that was thrown on time.

Pass 9 - Not in the vid. He sails this pass to Goodwin. Shit happens.

Pass 10 - Not in vid. This is why NFL timing is critical. If Fields throws this on time then the defender coming from Fields right as Fields throws the slant left likely does tip this as the ball would have been thrown as Mooney is further to the left. Instead Fields is a hair late on this and as a result the defender tips it for the Int. So far he has definitely improved from last week on getting the ball out on time but this serves as a reminder of how critical that is.

Pass 11 - Rocket to ARob on time and in stride. Can't ask for anything more than this.

Pass 12 - Another beautiful pass. I can maybe quibble that if he throws this out in front Mooney runs in for a TD as this is angled to the sideline a bit but that is the only thing keeping this from a perfect pass.

Pass 13 - Not on Vid. This is one where Fields waits a tad bit too long to bail. Again with his legs, he should be moving the pocket if he comes to the end of his drop and no one is open. Instead by the time he decides to move, the pocket is collapsing a bit. I would love to see him get to the perimeter on this a bit sooner.

Pass 14 - Nice movement but I think he probably could have made this pass a bit sooner. He waits a bit and the defender is almost able to break it up.

Pass 15 - Another beautiful pass that is pretty much in the perfect spot to ARob on the sidelines.

Pass 16 - Not on vid. This was a decent pass to Kmet one on one where there may have been PI but Kmet has to do better on this. Having said that, I probably still would have probably preferred he check this down to ARob for an easier throw and with space for him to get the 1st down. As it is 3rd down and you can get a first without getting the TD, I would probably advise him to focus on getting the first rather than going for it all on more of a jump ball.

Sack 1 - Again, this is one where I think he is a tad bit too slow to get moving. He reaches he drop and has to know there is a TE on the DE on his blindside. Start moving away from that side sooner and he probably is able to scramble or create time to throw. Instead it is a strip sack.

Pass 17 - Basic screen pass. Nothing exciting.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All in all, this was a much better performance obviously and Fields showed the special traits that made him the Bears draft pick. Take it with a grain of salt as it was the Lions and there was very little pressure on him for the most part but still, you can only play the opponent lined up against you and Fields made big time throws to win this game.

If there are areas for him to improve, I think he is still a late on the quick hitters including the slant attempt that led to the Int. He has got to make those throws quicker if they are open and not mess around. Last week it cost him sacks and this week, it gave that defender a split second longer to move from the right to the left and get the tip that led to the Int.

The other thing he still needs to work on is his scrambling decision. He takes a bit too long to decide when to move and stays in the pocket a bit too long when no one is open. He has to get started moving sooner and stress the perimeter where he can either scramble to throw. His taking a bit too long to decide led to a sack and a couple incompletions.

In any event, this was a great performance and one to build on. Now things get a bit tougher from here but at lease he knows he can play in this league even if there are still things for him to clean up to succeed against better teams.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
my takeaway: Mooney shits all over Miller. glad he's able to play up to his potential again.
He’s going to eventually open up things for arob. Teams are playing him (arob) different, the lions tried copying what the browns did. I’d need to go back and look at bengals/rams but that game plan was such shit it doesn’t matter anyway.

mecha

Liked Posts:
He’s going to eventually open up things for arob. Teams are playing him (arob) different, the lions tried copying what the browns did. I’d need to go back and look at bengals/rams but that game plan was such shit it doesn’t matter anyway.
it's great to have a dependable #2 target again. we'll see how it builds from here. or if Nagy blows it up and goes backwards as has been threatened.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
ARob is really not the kind of WR that Fields appears to like. Fields is constantly looking downfield. Now perhaps what needs to happen which we saw a bit of yesterday is using ARob on deeper routes than what he has been used on previously. Still not sure I wouldn't invest in getting Fields more speed guys. A Deebo Samuel type that can get deep as well as catch short stuff and generate YAC is probably a better fit for Fields.

ARob is actually take chances away from the TEs as I feel he is being used as a big slot to make up for the fact our TEs don't stretch the field.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
ARob is really not the kind of WR that Fields appears to like. Fields is constantly looking downfield. Now perhaps what needs to happen which we saw a bit of yesterday is using ARob on deeper routes than what he has been used on previously. Still not sure I wouldn't invest in getting Fields more speed guys. A Deebo Samuel type that can get deep as well as catch short stuff and generate YAC is probably a better fit for Fields.

ARob is actually take chances away from the TEs as I feel he is being used as a big slot to make up for the fact our TEs don't stretch the field.
bro you're a goddamn idiot

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

its basically 1 and a half games.......its possible that there needs to be a bigger sample size

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
its basically 1 and a half games.......its possible that there needs to be a bigger sample size

Sure but we know Fields likes to go downfield. He is 2nd in the NFL in ADOT even with the terrible Browns game and that was his MO in college.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He definitely needs to make faster decisions, and he needs to move up in the pocket faster. I think that's where part of the "speed of the game" thing comes into play with Fields. That will come with time.

I still have yet to see him make a throw where I'd say, "You can't do that in the NFL".

Montucky

Liked Posts:

Been saying this for months. Should've traded Robinson to recoup the first (or at least get a second) that the Bears lost acquiring Fields.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure but we know Fields likes to go downfield. He is 2nd in the NFL in ADOT even with the terrible Browns game and that was his MO in college.
give it a few games....

Yes he likes to go down field. One of the reasons I drafted Mooney in FF. I don't think you can discount Arob being productive.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
give it a few games....

Yes he likes to go down field. One of the reasons I drafted Mooney in FF. I don't think you can discount Arob being productive.

Well I did say he may have to run deeper routes on average than he ran before which we saw a bit of yesterday.

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still alot to cleanup for Fields, but there was some absolutely beautiful throws on Sunday. Loving the deep ball connection he had with Mooney