Fields week 2

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The tape on Fields was not pretty and it was marked by indecision. A good example was I believe his first pass play. It was a flea flicker to St Brown for 30 yards. But if you look at the play more closely, it was one of several missed opportunities.

The flea flicker did exactly what it intended to do, it sucked in the deep safety. But not only that, it fooled the slot corner who was covering Mooney. He gets caught looking in the backfield, allowing Mooney to blow by him with no safety help.

6IEbVFt.jpg

As Fields’ first read on the play is to Mooney, I don’t see why he moves off of him, especially knowing Kmet is 1 on 1 with an edge rusher. Yes, on its own it is a ticky tack gripe on what turned into a positive play. But this was an underlying problem throughout the game…

PiercingArtisticGrackle-size_restricted.gif[img]
PiercingArtisticGrackle-size_restricted.gif

InsignificantInsistentGuineapig-size_restricted.gif

This is a play action pass right at the beginning of a drive. Getsy is trying to take a deep shot right after the Packers scored a TD. Mooney is coming open here. Fields has the arm strength and touch to make this throw. All he has to do is step up in the pocket and let it rip…

26kOXTj.jpg

Fields steps up but does not deliver the pass. He was not comfortable making the throw, which is fine, because he then had the option of running through the left side for a huge gain….

Zi1ROkW.jpg

aoNrlQF.jpg

But unfortunately, Fields runs the wrong way and into a sack due to the indecision of whether to just take off or try to keep the play alive and get it to the target in the flat…

SecondPoliteDromedary-size_restricted.gif

CautiousFantasticKitten-size_restricted.gif

Indecision causes a pretty egregious error here. Pettis is already wide open as Fields is 9 yards behind the line of scrimmage…

AmGK78b.jpg

He doesn’t end up throwing it to him until he’s 2 yards beyond the LOS. If he didn’t see him, he didn’t see him. But you can’t compound your mistake by throwing the ball in that situation. It’s an alarming lack of awareness…

CompetentEuphoricCutworm-size_restricted.gif

This is the first pass play of the second half. It is 2nd and 3. The Bears run a pick play for Kmet…

VAilKbp.jpg

It’s a pretty simple read, Fields’ first read, and gets Kmet open for a potential 1st down. But Fields passes on it and takes the sack instead…

AffectionateEmbellishedHorsemouse-size_restricted.gif

GentleScalyHumpbackwhale-size_restricted.gif

This sets up a 3rd and 9. On the play, Fields has a window to either Pettis on the deep curl or St. Brown over the top…

9AZO6mo.jpg

Fields can’t decide on which one to go to, misses the window on both, and ends up checking it down to his RB…

ColossalAjarCicada-size_restricted.gif

From the back view, you can just feel Fields’ angst as he goes through his reads…

OnlyFailingDromaeosaur-size_restricted.gif

The INT was in garbage time, so it’s not really as consequential as a normal INT. Except that it’s in keeping with the theme of the day. Here St Brown is open with Fields looking in his direction…

e2Gd2aU.jpg

The problem is that Fields takes another 6 steps before releasing the ball, allowing the defender time to make up ground. Just prior, Fields does a brilliant job maneuvering the pocket…

AgonizingDeepBoilweevil-size_restricted.gif

But a lot of the responsibility for the pick falls on St Brown for running a terrible route. He should be taking a straight line shot to the sideline. But at the last moment he turns upfield, allowing the cornerback to undercut the throw…

TheseWearyCrocodile-size_restricted.gif

There were really not many pass plays to analyze, especially after taking out the screen plays. So Fields really couldn’t get into any kind of rhythm. Let’s hope Fields learns from his mistakes and Getsy can get a better game plan together against Houston.

Last edited:

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But did they throw the ball enough? That's supposed to be green text.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah for the people that like to blame the OL or lack of weapons hopefully this sobers them up. Dude was out of sorts all game and hesitant. Have no idea what he was seeing out there.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
@Adipost Thanks for the solid contribution. You refer to “Pittman” a few times. I’m assuming you mean Pettis. Making some edits might be in order.

Thanks again for taking the time to dig through the footage and compile these looks.

Bust

Liked Posts:
good work, Adios!

this is a big week for fields and for team mojo and the belief the HITS system is productive on sundays it's important to get a win . . . a loss at home with a meh performance from fields <again> will cause rapid panic amongst social media bear land.

Bust

Liked Posts:
the sack when he runs the wrong way <into the crowd> when he had a huge opening to the left is very concerning boyz. #PANIC

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
Yeah for the people that like to blame the OL or lack of weapons hopefully this sobers him up. Dude was out of sorts all game and hesitant. Have no idea what he was seeing out there.

that was some bad tape for sure. #PANIC

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
OL did great. Fields needs a lot more in game work to get his confidence up. Thanks for this work @Adipost

Bust

Liked Posts:
OL did great. Fields needs a lot more in game work to get his confidence up. Thanks for this work @Adipost

Getsy and the rest of the cats up in the booth see this indecision stuff as well. No wonder they only called 11 pass plays #ohiostate

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Getsy and the rest of the cats up in the booth see this indecision stuff as well. No wonder they only called 11 pass plays #ohiostate
Getsy and the cats have work to do too.. if they see his indecision then they need to cut the field in half for him, move the pocket.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Getsy and the cats have work to do too.. if they see his indecision then they need to cut the field in half for him, move the pocket.

getsy had a brain fart on that goal line play for sure. As did Eberflus cause he is on the headset too and has veto authority.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They called 20 pass plays. He scrambled 6 times and was sacked 3 times.

Getsy bears some blame. Needs to run more quick passes as Fields seems to be a a rhythm QB. Think Pack ran like 11 slants while we ran 1. Those are easy wins for the QB.

The screen game has also failed miserably. Rodgers got out of a 2nd and 28 on a TD drive due to a 14 yard WR screen play. Meanwhile our screen to Mooney goes for -4 yards.

Finally need more play action which should freeze the defenders up in the box which we will see more of due to Monty. The bread and butter of this O is pounding the ball, quick passing game and play action. Then you pick you spots to attack deep.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thanked the heavens before clicking in before thanking Adipost when I saw this thread in the line up.:)

There was nothing good about Fields in that game other than he came out healthy. He's been hesitant to pull the trigger or stay with a route that's coming open as long as he's been here. It's like he's going through his progressions but not yet actually seeing what's there. The other things I've noticed is, his ball doesn't always come out clean and that might be he chosen way to hold and small hands and his pocket awareness so far can only be described as meh to poor. All that said, I still have a lot of hope for him and sky's the limit.

It's early and that was an especially bad game. He may have not seen what was expected from the D and following some rules that just didn't work and stubborn about staying in sequence right now. Much we don't know other than it was a poor showing last week.

I'll feel a lot better when he starts taking the easy throw and sticks to a route he sees coming open while steering the safety. It's been a pattern and one I brought up in the pre where everyone defended a difficult failed throw to the end zone when the 1st down was a given.

Nobody likes arm punts more than me and every game should have 4 of those, successful or not, but you don't do that on 3rd just outside of field goal range when you got a guy wide open.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
@Adipost each time you refer to Pettis it is actually St. Brown (int and throw past the LOS).

I agree with most of the break down. The kmet 2nd and 3 was the most glaring thing I saw live.

On the flea flicker play, the right read was probably Mooney, but hard to be mad about that one. From his viewpoint it looked like the cb was right on Mooney still so he moved on as he was running out of time.

Also the play past the LOS is being overblown. Dilfer himself said spatial awareness can be really difficult as an NFL qb when you get moving. Mentioned Eli did it like 6 times in a season. I remember Brees doing it too. It happens to a lot of good qbs and is more likely if you are mobile obviously

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Man, I just realized that first sack which goes on Jones, kmet should get an assist for hardly even acting as a speed bump in his chip. All he did was accelerate Smith further outside and get him outside Jones reach

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
@Adipost each time you refer to Pettis it is actually St. Brown (int and throw past the LOS).

I agree with most of the break down. The kmet 2nd and 3 was the most glaring thing I saw live.

On the flea flicker play, the right read was probably Mooney, but hard to be mad about that one. From his viewpoint it looked like the cb was right on Mooney still so he moved on as he was running out of time.

Also the play past the LOS is being overblown. Dilfer himself said spatial awareness can be really difficult as an NFL qb when you get moving. Mentioned Eli did it like 6 times in a season. I remember Brees doing it too. It happens to a lot of good qbs and is more likely if you are mobile obviously
He gets a pass this early and it was one game but he had enough time to do better. I'd rather he miss good reads on time right now than make schoolyard plays. I'll take both since it's a big play league but I really need to see him do a better job running the O. I think he will. Like I said, it's early.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
He gets a pass this early and it was one game but he had enough time to do better. I'd rather he miss good reads on time right now than make schoolyard plays. I'll take both since it's a big play league but I really need to see him do a better job running the O. I think he will. Like I said, it's early.
I agree with all of that. I think the OC needs to give him some easy quick passes early in the game to get him in rhythm as well

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
The tape on Fields was not pretty and it was marked by indecision. A good example was I believe his first pass play. It was a flea flicker to St Brown for 30 yards. But if you look at the play more closely, it was one of several missed opportunities.

The flea flicker did exactly what it intended to do, it sucked in the deep safety. But not only that, it fooled the slot corner who was covering Mooney. He gets caught looking in the backfield, allowing Mooney to blow by him with no safety help.

View attachment 22756

As Fields’ first read on the play is to Mooney, I don’t see why he moves off of him, especially knowing Kmet is 1 on 1 with an edge rusher. Yes, on its own it is a ticky tack gripe on what turned into a positive play. But this was an underlying problem throughout the game…

PiercingArtisticGrackle-size_restricted.gif[img]
View attachment 22757

InsignificantInsistentGuineapig-size_restricted.gif

This is a play action pass right at the beginning of a drive. Getsy is trying to take a deep shot right after the Packers scored a TD. Mooney is coming open here. Fields has the arm strength and touch to make this throw. All he has to do is step up in the pocket and let it rip…

View attachment 22758

Fields steps up but does not deliver the pass. He was not comfortable making the throw, which is fine, because he then had the option of running through the left side for a huge gain….

View attachment 22759

View attachment 22760

But unfortunately, Fields runs the wrong way and into a sack due to the indecision of whether to just take off or try to keep the play alive and get it to the target in the flat…

View attachment 22761

View attachment 22762

Indecision causes a pretty egregious error here. Pettis is already wide open as Fields is 9 yards behind the line of scrimmage…

View attachment 22763

He doesn’t end up throwing it to him until he’s 2 yards beyond the LOS. If he didn’t see him, he didn’t see him. But you can’t compound your mistake by throwing the ball in that situation. It’s an alarming lack of awareness…

View attachment 22764

This is the first pass play of the second half. It is 2nd and 3. The Bears run a pick play for Kmet…

View attachment 22765

It’s a pretty simple read, Fields’ first read, and gets Kmet open for a potential 1st down. But Fields passes on it and takes the sack instead…

View attachment 22766

View attachment 22767

This sets up a 3rd and 9. On the play, Fields has a window to either Pettis on the deep curl or St. Brown over the top…

View attachment 22768

Fields can’t decide on which one to go to, misses the window on both, and ends up checking it down to his RB…

View attachment 22769

From the back view, you can just feel Fields’ angst as he goes through his reads…

View attachment 22770

The INT was in garbage time, so it’s not really as consequential as a normal INT. Except that it’s in keeping with the theme of the day. Here St Brown is open with Fields looking in his direction…

View attachment 22771

The problem is that Fields takes another 6 steps before releasing the ball, allowing the defender time to make up ground. Just prior, Fields does a brilliant job maneuvering the pocket…

View attachment 22772

But a lot of the responsibility for the pick falls on St Brown for running a terrible route. He should be taking a straight line shot to the sideline. But at the last moment he turns upfield, allowing the cornerback to undercut the throw…

View attachment 22773

There were really not many pass plays to analyze, especially after taking out the screen plays. So Fields really couldn’t get into any kind of rhythm. Let’s hope Fields learns from his mistakes and Getsy can get a better game plan together against Houston.

Wasn't really possible to get to Mooney in the progression on play 1 as Cold Cement completely whiffed on his block. The defender was right in his grill and he had to throw away from the defender to hit EQ.