Fields week 2

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He also played 2 of the better defenses he will see this year in the first 2 weeks of a new offense.

Again, I'll reiterate he obviously has to improve but there's a lot working against him early on
You’re not wrong…but regardless of the quality of defenses he’s faced so far, there were still plays available to be made and he simply didn’t make them. Now, maybe facing lesser defenses will afford him bigger windows and more time in the pocket, but it’s not like the defenses he’s faced shut everything down and fields didn’t have anywhere to go. He missed opportunities and made things worse on himself and the offense. The offense also had some breakdowns as well as a whole

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you feel like any of this stems from last year with a crappy O line? Like PTSD from getting sacked so much he's having issues shaking?
Possibly, but he isn't falling into habits of not stepping up, throwing off his back foot, looking hesitant to get hit etc. which is encouraging.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It doesn’t matter how good the defenses rank. WR’s are open and he’s not reading it right.
I don't see a lot of wide open receivers. I see tight ends jumping in the air and the point of the ball hitting them in their gut. i see wide receivers beating the corner yet being caught and passed by the corner on a well thrown ball. What I am saying is that this is hardly just Fields not being able to read things right. A quarterback has to trust his receivers to run the right routes, catch the ball if it is in the area and to GET OPEN.

Take a look sometime at Rodgers in the GB games. What do you see when a receiver drops a ball, runs a half ass route, DOESN'T GET OPEN. Take a look at his look at the OC or HC when they don't call the right play. Then contrast that with the looks in the face of Fields or any other young inexperienced QB.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Yikes. Fields has to be better. I share the same sentiment as @iueyedoc though. Couple tough games against some good defenses. Just a bad game that Fields will hopefully get better with overtime and this tape will help him. It takes reps, there's going to be growing pains. And after 17 games, if it still looks like his pocket presence hasn't improved and he is still hesitant, Poles will have a decision to make.
The SF game wasn't so bad. It wasn't great for him, but he obviously was able to make the plays he needed to for the team to win.

This game was just atrocious though for everyone except Montgomery. The defense was getting great pressure on Rodgers, all they needed was to stop the run which they knew coming in. Still got dominated on the ground. It was a concerning game all around.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The SF game wasn't so bad. It wasn't great for him, but he obviously was able to make the plays he needed to for the team to win.

This game was just atrocious though for everyone except Montgomery. The defense was getting great pressure on Rodgers, all they needed was to stop the run which they knew coming in. Still got dominated on the ground. It was a concerning game all around.
But also to be expected. I think people expect things to be linear when they rarely are. It's perfectly possible for Fields to improve in part because he sucked against the Packers, and likewise for the defense.... just to have another bad game after that. Two steps forward, one step back, or maybe two steps back and one step forward. With this year, you just hope the right guys cumulatively take more steps forward than back by the end of the season.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That's fair. It just appears like he is regressing.
This sounds like someone who is expecting linear progress week to week. Ain't gonna happen.

I watch a fair amount of QB content. Those dudes are not panicking about Fields. They basically say "12 starts". The dude needs a lot more reps.

Also, after watching the tape of the Packers game, things might need to be made easier on him. And that's okay. It's not admitting defeat. It's not because he's not capable of playing QB. It's because he's still young and developing, and you gotta make adjustments.

We'll see how it looks this weekend.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, after watching the tape of the Packers game, things might need to be made easier on him. And that's okay. It's not admitting defeat. It's not because he's not capable of playing QB. It's because he's still young and developing, and you gotta make adjustments.

Was it Mooney that said they were sick of running the same four or five plays in August???

I am all for getting back to those plays for the first half on Sunday. Whatever it takes to get these guys going.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Please no swifty videos in a legitimate film breakdown thread

I find his analysis to be insightful. He was pretty spot on with his assessment of the offense and what exactly went wrong. Did you watch the breakdown?

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
It doesn’t matter how good the defenses rank. WR’s are open and he’s not reading it right.

Only it kind of does matter. Elite defenses will put pressure in the QBs face more than other teams, which will affect the QB. If you think things won't improve then you're beyond help.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I find his analysis to be insightful. He was pretty spot on with his assessment of the offense and what exactly went wrong. Did you watch the breakdown?
I did not watch. I kind of put him on ignore after he ranted for multiple days about Harry being at fault for fields missing him wide open in practice

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You say in year 2. He played like 9 games last year. You are throwing out arbitrary statements without awareness of how much he's actually played. If he'd played a full year last year and was in the same offense I might be more interested in your hot take, but instead I see it for what it is.

Fields needs to get better, but your viewpoint on how much he's played is willfully ignorant
Hurts' 9th and 10th games (year 2) had a combined 54 ratings and a total of 313 yards with 2 INTs and 1 TD.
Hurts was selected 53rd overall and has done nothing to suggest he is better than he was when he came out of college. In other words, his value has not gone up since then. I would not offer anything more than our 2nd for him.
You have a history of impatience. That said, I may have too much but there's nothing worse than throwing out the baby with the bath water.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Philly will get as far as the players around Hurts will take them. Hurts will melt down in January. Statistically, he has played 2 of the worst defenses in the league from last year. Philly will end the year asking "can Hurts be the guy when up against a damn good defense?"

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This is a quality breakdown and deserves to be on the front page.