Fields week 2

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't really possible to get to Mooney in the progression on play 1 as Cold Cement completely whiffed on his block. The defender was right in his grill and he had to throw away from the defender to hit EQ.

The right side of the field is his first progression, as both receivers are in press coverage and the deep safety had just committed into the box. When Fields moves off of Mooney, the defender is still 5 yards away from him. He would have easily been able to get that throw off. The reason he took a hit in the first place was because he had to reset his feet in order to throw it to the left side of the field.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I have no problem with the flea flicker play.

Really all my concerns with Fields boil down to awareness. He doesn't seem to see the field very well, as evidenced by the sack he took with the huge hole to the left, and also by that weird sack he took when he seemed to spin away from an edge rusher who was about 5 yards away from him (did the same thing at home vs. MIN last year). Doesn't seem able to pull the trigger sometimes as well, but I am less concerned about that. That takes time for lots of good QBs.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What I will take away is that Getsy and these weapons are viable if and when Fields gets it. That is a good thing, as I think he will, sooner rather than later. Facing 2 top 10 def in passing yards and total yards from last season in a deluge and in hostile GB is about as hard as it could get to start the season.

To top it off, the starting field position and seemingly requisite penalty or negative play to start every first half drive after the first one put the offense in a defensive position and allowed the defense to be aggressive with a young QB with a rabid crowd assisting.

Seems his biggest problem at the moment is he still has the big play mentality he could have in college, he seems reluctant to take 6,7 10 yard chunks. I think seeing tape of those easy misses will sink in quickly.

I think there will be ebbs and flows in his performances this season with the level of play evening out at a above average level by years end.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I have no problem with the flea flicker play.

Really all my concerns with Fields boil down to awareness. He doesn't seem to see the field very well, as evidenced by the sack he took with the huge hole to the left, and also by that weird sack he took when he seemed to spin away from an edge rusher who was about 5 yards away from him (did the same thing at home vs. MIN last year). Doesn't seem able to pull the trigger sometimes as well, but I am less concerned about that. That takes time for lots of good QBs.
Yeah that sack where he spun into it was annoying to me too. It appeared to be a naked bootleg so he should have been expecting that guy. The sack might have been unavoidable but if you are going to take the sack then minimize the yards lost and don't spin backwards further into it.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah that sack where he spun into it was annoying to me too. It appeared to be a naked bootleg so he should have been expecting that guy. The sack might have been unavoidable but if you are going to take the sack then minimize the yards lost and don't spin backwards further into it.
He may not have great peripheral vision, which is tough to test for (not really, but there isn't any indication that they test for it in the NFL). And something that would likely inhibit great QB play. Someone like Rodgers obviously has incredible peripheral vision.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yikes. Fields has to be better. I share the same sentiment as @iueyedoc though. Couple tough games against some good defenses. Just a bad game that Fields will hopefully get better with overtime and this tape will help him. It takes reps, there's going to be growing pains. And after 17 games, if it still looks like his pocket presence hasn't improved and he is still hesitant, Poles will have a decision to make.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Man, I just realized that first sack which goes on Jones, kmet should get an assist for hardly even acting as a speed bump in his chip. All he did was accelerate Smith further outside and get him outside Jones reach
Kmet has been really disappointing on his blocking and rubs.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
How do we know though that he is "hesitant" to pull the trigger as some of you have alluded to? What if he just is not anticipating when his receivers are getting open? It could be a fundamental lack of vision and awareness to read the defense and the field. I really hope this can get corrected but this is something that should not be happening in year 2.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
How do we know though that he is "hesitant" to pull the trigger as some of you have alluded to? What if he just is not anticipating when his receivers are getting open? It could be a fundamental lack of vision and awareness to read the defense and the field. I really hope this can get corrected but this is something that should not be happening in year 2.
You're last sentence is stupid. Be better.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
You're last sentence is stupid. Be better.
You know, just whatever dude. If you want to disagree and say that it takes 20 or 30 or whatever number of starts to grasp NFL defenses then fine. But I have eyes and I am watching as much football as anyone here. And I have not seen a starting QB this year look this bad. If you can't see how that is concerning, then more power to you.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
You know, just whatever dude. If you want to disagree and say that it takes 20 or 30 or whatever number of starts to grasp NFL defenses then fine. But I have eyes and I am watching as much football as anyone here. And I have not seen a starting QB this year look this bad. If you can't see how that is concerning, then more power to you.
You say in year 2. He played like 9 games last year. You are throwing out arbitrary statements without awareness of how much he's actually played. If he'd played a full year last year and was in the same offense I might be more interested in your hot take, but instead I see it for what it is.

Fields needs to get better, but your viewpoint on how much he's played is willfully ignorant

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Amazing analysis and backup up with video evidence.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What I will take away is that Getsy and these weapons are viable if and when Fields gets it. That is a good thing, as I think he will, sooner rather than later. Facing 2 top 10 def in passing yards and total yards from last season in a deluge and in hostile GB is about as hard as it could get to start the season.

To top it off, the starting field position and seemingly requisite penalty or negative play to start every first half drive after the first one put the offense in a defensive position and allowed the defense to be aggressive with a young QB with a rabid crowd assisting.

Seems his biggest problem at the moment is he still has the big play mentality he could have in college, he seems reluctant to take 6,7 10 yard chunks. I think seeing tape of those easy misses will sink in quickly.

I think there will be ebbs and flows in his performances this season with the level of play evening out at a above average level by years end.

Correct. He needs to take what the defenses give him. I hate that cliche, but it’s true. He isn’t playing craptastic slow Big 10 Defenses, these are fast NFL defenses. Those big plays just simply aren’t there on most plays.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now do the all 22 on Kmet and Mooney. Let's see how these 3rd year weapons are getting open for him. No one wants to do that. fields did not have a good game, cannot argue that., the game is moving way too fast for him still and it is not all on him.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Now do the all 22 on Kmet and Mooney. Let's see how these 3rd year weapons are getting open for him. No one wants to do that. fields did not have a good game, cannot argue that., the game is moving way too fast for him still and it is not all on him.
Yep. It’s amazing how short everyone’s memory is.

We literally just saw the exact same shit unfold with nagy and trubisky. Trubisky sucked ass and nagy openly blamed him for all the issues. Yet they went ahead and put in multiple other QB’s with the exact same result, a shit offense.

Fields did not play well, the breakdown does a great job of showing that. Anyone arguing he did play well is delusional (though I haven’t seen anyone actually say that).

However, those acting like the line or weapons are actually good are also delusional. Fields play isn’t making anyone look better, but let’s not act like the line isn’t getting manhandled on occasion, or that a TE is needed most of the game because the tackles are sub par, or that mustipher has been actually decent.

Fields is struggling to see the field, yet the offense doesn’t appear to be making it any easier on him. Just throwing him into the dee end and the result is a confused qb unsure of where to throw the ball.

New year, same shit. The entire offense is a mess.

I’m optimistic it will improve, but we will have to see.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
You say in year 2. He played like 9 games last year. You are throwing out arbitrary statements without awareness of how much he's actually played. If he'd played a full year last year and was in the same offense I might be more interested in your hot take, but instead I see it for what it is.

Fields needs to get better, but your viewpoint on how much he's played is willfully ignorant
That's fair. It just appears like he is regressing.