Finally........

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Great guy, great teammate.....but nobody in Cub history has delivered so little for what he was paid.

He gone.....

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I always wondered what he did before he became a burglar.

Marv20167261017705.jpg

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bout time

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
LIterally the worst free agent signing in Cubs history based on money for return (even worse than Milton Bradley) and yet I don't care because they won the world series. Paid 180 millions dollars of 8 years for one speech.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Paid 180 millions dollars of 8 years for one speech.
And if that speech truly was the difference between winning and losing then it was worth it. But that doesn't mean we should keep paying for garbage. Good move although it would have been nice if it could have been made years earlier when we could have gotten something - anything - in return.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nice guy. Good leader. Wish he was a bit less honest and took a booster shot here and there to suck a little less.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Great guy, great teammate.....but nobody in Cub history has delivered so little for what he was paid.

He gone.....
I don't remember any news reports saying Heyward and his agent pulled guns on the Cubs brass to get them to offer an 8 fucking year contract. It rarely works out, just ask the Angels...

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I don't remember any news reports saying Heyward and his agent pulled guns on the Cubs brass to get them to offer an 8 fucking year contract. It rarely works out, just ask the Angels...
This is revisionist history

Heyward was 25 years old coming off a season in which he hit .293 and had an OBP of .359, while finishing 15th for MVP and won a gold glove in the OF.

The cubs weren’t the only team interested, and whomstever got Heyward was going to be giving him a long term contract. Not to mention he was the “prize” of the FA class that offseason.

Now, it turned out to be a very very bad contract for the cubs, but to act like it was obvious that it would turn out this poorly is just being disingenuous

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
This is revisionist history

Heyward was 25 years old coming off a season in which he hit .293 and had an OBP of .359, while finishing 15th for MVP and won a gold glove in the OF.

The cubs weren’t the only team interested, and whomstever got Heyward was going to be giving him a long term contract. Not to mention he was the “prize” of the FA class that offseason.

Now, it turned out to be a very very bad contract for the cubs, but to act like it was obvious that it would turn out this poorly is just being disingenuous
It wasn't the player, it was the contract...8 years is a lifetime plus in MLB years. Look. There is no argument that Mike Trout was a generational talent at the time, but the last three years he has been hurt, the Angels are still paying him 35 million to sit at home. My point is if you are going to do along term contract don't risk the franchise to do it. I am for a front loaded contract with a big signing bonus, and then build in ways to get out of the contract after 4 years or so. But, not the attitude of (if it works out, fine, but if it doesn't the tea is screwed for the length of the contract.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It wasn't the player, it was the contract...8 years is a lifetime plus in MLB years. Look. There is no argument that Mike Trout was a generational talent at the time, but the last three years he has been hurt, the Angels are still paying him 35 million to sit at home. My point is if you are going to do along term contract don't risk the franchise to do it. I am for a front loaded contract with a big signing bonus, and then build in ways to get out of the contract after 4 years or so. But, not the attitude of (if it works out, fine, but if it doesn't the tea is screwed for the length of the contract.
Again, if the cubs hadn’t given him 8 years, someone else would of likely…he was that in demand at the time.

You do realize guys are getting 10+ year contracts when around the age Heyward was at the time, right?

like you think the Phillies are expecting much out of Bryce Harper in year 13 of the deal he signed? Hell no. The problem is the cubs never got production at any time in years 1-7 of the contract.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Again, if the cubs hadn’t given him 8 years, someone else would of likely…he was that in demand at the time.

You do realize guys are getting 10+ year contracts when around the age Heyward was at the time, right?

like you think the Phillies are expecting much out of Bryce Harper in year 13 of the deal he signed? Hell no. The problem is the cubs never got production at any time in years 1-7 of the contract.
Exactly, if you are wrong as a GM you hamstring the club for years. Jason, who is a hell of a person, has never been a consistent hitter. He had some good average years in Atlanta and St. louis, but only hit 20 home runs once. So, the Cubs knew they were not getting an offensive dynamo. But even if he had been boffo at the plate, players go through slumps, injuries, etc.. If the Ricketts are willing to pay players 20+ million to sit on the bench, fine. But, for that to work, you have to be willing to pay their replacement also. The Ricketts have not shown that kind of generosity. If a player wants a ten year contract, then build flexibility into the contract for both sides. I know last year the Cubs were sending Heyward out there when they knew he had lost the ability to hit. I mean there were times when his struggling to even get comfortable in the batter's box was evident. However, it was fun to watch him throw suckers out at home from right field.