(First)Car Suggestions

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm now finally getting my first car. Yesterday I test drove a Pontiac Grand Am GT 2002. I thought everything was nice about it but the gas pedal. I wasnt used to it since I'm used to driving my dads Ford Explorer and I've also driven my friends truck as well which I was fine with. I was wondering if there was any car that might have a pedal similar to a trucks or one that isnt as touchy that you can maintain a bit more. It seemed like with the Pontiac that when I would try and do 20 it was going 30 and say I tried 20 I wouldnt be able to maintain that same speed with my foot on the pedal compared to driving my dads truck.(I know I could maybe probably get used to it but if I could find something better instead that would be great.Also I'm not the best driver in the world either.) Also any car that would happen to last long as well for a suggestion would help too. I know Hondas tend to last long and that type of thing.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Buy a Hyundai or a Honda if you want it to last.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My 96 Honda Accord is over 170k miles and still going strong.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
An 02 Pontiac wouldn't be what I'd consider very reliable. I have an 02 Bonneville SSEi and, while I do like the car, it constantly has little issues popping up. I'm not too familiar with the Grand Ams, but I'm sure the quality is on par with mine. It's not isolated, either. I'm a member on a couple Bonneville forums and they have a lot of issues.

Of course people will always recommend stuff like Hondas. Nicer ones tend to be a bit more expensive used because of the demand.

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Buy a Hyundai or a Honda if you want it to last.

I wouldnt be able to drive a Hyundai. My mom has one and once again the pedal is touchy as hell lol. I am considering a Honda maybe though but idk if I'll be able to find a 2000 or newer with less than 100,000 miles thats less than $8,000 or so.

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
An 02 Pontiac wouldn't be what I'd consider very reliable. I have an 02 Bonneville SSEi and, while I do like the car, it constantly has little issues popping up. I'm not too familiar with the Grand Ams, but I'm sure the quality is on par with mine. It's not isolated, either. I'm a member on a couple Bonneville forums and they have a lot of issues.

Of course people will always recommend stuff like Hondas. Nicer ones tend to be a bit more expensive used because of the demand.

Thats another reason why I'm somewhat iffy on the Pontiac as well. I heard it can be at times not very reliable. Granted thats with every car that I could be buying but I just happen to see more about it after reading reviews online.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hows the gas pedal on it? So far thats probably my biggest need lol.

I'm used to driving four door sedans since that is all I have ever owned. So I am probably not the best person to ask.

Last edited:

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats another reason why I'm somewhat iffy on the Pontiac as well. I heard it can be at times not very reliable. Granted thats with every car that I could be buying but I just happen to see more about it after reading reviews online.

^ this, but i wish i had gotten a pontiac while i had the $$$$, they look cool, imo, my cousin had one on 22's, Nice. when i bought my first car i paid straight cash homey(randy moss voice) so id say it depends on how much $$$ you have or are willing to spend. no reason you should overpay in this economy.

Last edited:

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL at judging a car based on the gas pedal. That's something you get used to as time goes on.

Iwritecode

Liked Posts:
I don't think it's the gas pedal. I think it's the fact that you are used to driving bigger, heavier vehicles. It takes a little more to get them going the same speed as a smaller car.

I've noticed it when I switch from my Grand Prix (everyday car) to my Suburban. I'll look down and realize that I'm driving 5 MPH under the speed limit.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't quite get the pedal thing. That might just be a thing you have to get over.

Kind of what I was going to say..."or you could stop being so worried about gas pedals and learn how to drive properly". Lol.

Sorry man, just giving you a little shit.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I don't think it's the gas pedal. I think it's the fact that you are used to driving bigger, heavier vehicles. It takes a little more to get them going the same speed as a smaller car.

I've noticed it when I switch from my Grand Prix (everyday car) to my Suburban. I'll look down and realize that I'm driving 5 MPH under the speed limit.

Vehicle height tends to throw off our speed perceptions, when I switch from a PU truck to a car...feels like I'm driving a go-cart.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I wouldnt be able to drive a Hyundai. My mom has one and once again the pedal is touchy as hell lol. I am considering a Honda maybe though but idk if I'll be able to find a 2000 or newer with less than 100,000 miles thats less than $8,000 or so.

How about an 05' Chevy Malibu bought in Florida w/an LE sports package V-6?. I ask b/c I have one sitting in my driveway with only 48K on it...plus I've replaced all the Chevy crap that broke on those cars early on with upgraded aftermarket parts.

I want to sell the new Chevy for an old one...as in a 72' El Camino.

If not, stick with Honda or Toyota(old Camry's are great).

Good luck!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hey Sunbiz, where in FL did you live if you don't mind me asking?

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you are looking for cheap and reliable... Honda..

Don't worry about the pedal.. after a day of driving a different vehicle it won't be an issue.

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

That could be it as well. But like I've driven my cousins Jeep as well and it wasnt as touchy as well it still not being a truck and all but then again its not a Pontiac either.