First Year "Flash" Teams

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every year a team will come out of the woodwork and elevate itself from previous years of poor play and take advantage of a generous schedule to come on strong for a season, ride the hype, and ultimately make it to the playoffs. Then the following season, when the schedule has been adjusted for the number of wins that team had the year prior, many times those teams get shellacked or barely make it to 500. The 2018 Bears were the quintessential example of that.

Good teams are good when their schedules are challenging, not just when their schedules are favorable. I'm waiting to see which of last year's "flash" teams will be good this year as well (I'm looking at you Cleveland, and with apologies to my in-laws, Buffalo). Teams with good front-offices get to 11 12-5 or better multiple years in a row- that's ultimately how Pace and Nagy will be measured. Of course, getting to that point is not a given for teams like the Bears, based on their history. As a fan I want it, but we all know what happens once the season starts.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The Browns have an excellent roster and are strong up front on both sides of the ball. They damn near knocked KC out of the playoffs last year too. They gave them everything they could handle. If Mayfield continues to develop, they'll be tough. They have two stud running backs so they'll be able to control the clock. which takes pressure off the D and Mayfield.

One of their weaknesses was at the second CB spot and they addressed that in the first round with Newsome. I think they have the foundation to be good for awhile.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think the Steelers have a chance of going from Division Winners to the bottom of that division, mainly because the other teams are better not solely based upon their schedule.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Browns have an excellent roster and are strong up front on both sides of the ball. They damn near knocked KC out of the playoffs last year too. They gave them everything they could handle. If Mayfield continues to develop, they'll be tough. They have two stud running backs so they'll be able to control the clock. which takes pressure off the D and Mayfield.

One of their weaknesses was at the second CB spot and they addressed that in the first round with Newsome. I think they have the foundation to be good for awhile.
The Browns do have the talent. But having the talent is only one part of the equation. We'll see how they do this year; I'm not predicting anything for them, just saying that it will be harder for them to reach the same record this year vs last year. When you can still hit that 11-5 (or better) record for a consecutive season, that's when you know you're truly a good team.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The Browns do have the talent. But having the talent is only one part of the equation. We'll see how they do this year; I'm not predicting anything for them, just saying that it will be harder for them to reach the same record this year vs last year. When you can still hit that 11-5 (or better) record for a consecutive season, that's when you know you're truly a good team.
Browns have talent in spades compared to most teams, they are simply their own worst enemy. But I agree with you, talent alone will not win them a championship, but wouldn't it be nice have that problem.