Fishbain: Salary cap analysis

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shelvin is basically Goldman, though. I'd prefer someone who is more of one gap player who can get up the field and pressure.
Yeah very true. I thought about this, Shelvin is very much a one trick pony at stopping the run, he'd be rotational. EG can collapse the pocket. The run D would be excellent though.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah very true. I thought about this, Shelvin is very much a one trick pony at stopping the run, he'd be rotational. EG can collapse the pocket. The run D would be excellent though.
Goldman has only played about 50% of snaps when healthy, he's usually not on the field in passing situations and nickel.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goldman has only played about 50% of snaps when healthy, he's usually not on the field in passing situations and nickel.
He could potentially slide over, I think they need a bigger body at NT.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Remember, Pace had long meetings with George where his job was on the line and the message that came from those meetings was 'Gotta get a QB'. His marching orders are crystal clear and communicated as such.

We know without a lot of cap space that's not a position you can fix quickly. Here's how I'm seeing this play out:

- First round pick is a QB (might involve a slight move up (sorry, but Pace is under the gun and with both the Mack and Mitch trades he's got a history of selling future assets))
- They start Foles, who's already under contract.
- When Foles either gets hurt or the season is a wash, start the rookie.
- He shows some strides, which bodes well for is development.
- Pace and Nagy go back to George talking about how they found their QB, so essentially they can say:

giphy.gif

This is Pace and Nagy's best chance at getting an extension. We can argue if they put a better team on the field and have a late playoff run that's probably better, but that's also harder to do. If the season is all about that rookie QB's development even with cookie cutter play calling they can prop him up and buy more time.

The cap is what it is. I could see them reinforce the OL and let ARob walk. You'd think the rookie would be better served by having ARob, but Pace/Nagy can spin that to George saying 'imagine how well he'll do when we get the next Booker/Robinson/ARob?

This is just the most realistic outcome. I know many won't like it, but that's my read on the situation.

so Pace drafts a QB, team goes 6-10 and he saves his job because he has a new unproven shiny toy?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He could potentially slide over, I think they need a bigger body at NT.
That's a pretty big ask imo. He's been two down NT his entire career.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Both those guys were nose tackles. Their job was to clog the middle, occupy blockers and hold the line of scrimmage. They were very strong, but they weren't really pass rushers.

Just to compare on their careers Washington and Traylor combined had 54.5 sacks over 465 games (.117/game). Hicks has had 37 sacks over 129 games (.287/game). Sure Hicks is 350+ lbs, but his game isn't just being big, but how well me moves with that mass.

If you are comparing Hicks to other older players try to use guys that do similar things on the field. Personally I think he's a slightly lesser Richard Seymour, who had an amazing career. Just as a reference point he made the probowl at 31 and 32, but the following year was his last. He retired at 33.

Just as a reminder, Hicks is 31 and will be 32 next year.....

For me, extending Hicks is a terrible idea. This is his last year. You'd be better off just living with his $12M cap number than next offseason one of two things will happen:

1 - Someone will pay him well, meaning that will go towards the compensatory draft pick formula.
2 - No one pays him and he'll come back for a one year deal.

Let this play itself out. Extending would be a short sighted, panicked option when you already have the player under contract.
I wasn’t comparing any players. I was using the ages as a fact that you can be productive at 33, 34, 35 years of age....regardless of what position they played they still played longer than the age of 35.
that is all I was getting at. Hicks may play well,he may play like shit. I would keep him one more year unless you they have a cheaper and better alternative

Last edited:

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
so Pace drafts a QB, team goes 6-10 and he saves his job because he has a new unproven shiny toy?
no if they Bears go 6-11 he is fired.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Welcome to the NFL.

If the QB shows promise it does not matter what our record is. That is how important the position is.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
6-10-1 and they are all safe!
Lol......if they go 6-11 it would be a miracle.

especially if they go 0-8 at home.

3-5 without any fans

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting podcast on the Athletic today. Leno actually graded out well after the changes in the middle of the line and hes currently the 17th highest paid LT. Doubt get gets cut. Massie gone for sure.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Welcome to the NFL.

If the QB shows promise it does not matter what our record is. That is how important the position is.

well, it will only be year 7 of the rebuild.

Last edited:

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Lol......if they go 6-11 it would be a miracle.

especially if they go 0-8 at home.

3-5 without any fans

Now you know thats not how the Bears work . This optimism is sickening .

The Bears will have magical season go 12-4 make the NFC title game and then resign Nagy and Pace and extend Foles.

Then go 4-12 the following season

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Now you know thats not how the Bears work . This optimism is sickening .

The Bears will have magical season go 12-4 make the NFC title game and then resign Nagy and Pace and extend Foles.

Then go 4-12 the following season
12-5 you mean right?

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
12-4-1 :grimmace:
Lol...everyone thinks we are gonna tie with someone?
We haven’t had a tie since 1972....Bwahahahahaha

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Ya, teams like the Patriots are known for holding onto their aging vets...

Wow, I wonder if the reason the Patriots were so great is because of Brady or because they got rid of their aging vets. That's a tough one........

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I tend to disagree. If he leaves the Bears in a mess his chances on get another job (I highly ndoubt he will ever be hired as a GM again) are reduced. He is getting fired after the 2021 season if they finish 8-9, no doubt in my mind. But I do believe in miracles, so I like everyone else has to wait to see what his decision on the quarterback will be.
If they include Trubisky and Foles....it’s over, you can’t win with either.

there is no “savior” to trade up for. None of these quarterbacks are in the Brady,Rodgers,Brees class.
They are mostly in the Tannehill, Carr, Garoppolo class
Pace gets fired from the Bears and he will never get another shot at being a GM again. So he loses nothing, by selling the farm, to meet his intermediate needs. He is one of those, "here, hold my beer" guys and worries about the fallout next year.
I used to call him Mr. 50-50%, but since 2019 I have resorted to calling him Mr. 30-70%. I think I may need to upgrade this soon to Mr. 10-90%.....:(

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuller is two and a half years younger than Hicks.

Lots of corners are fine until they are 32, which for Fuller would be after four more seasons.

Hicks has already begun to deteriorate and his snap count is going to have to decrease to maintain effectiveness over the next couple years.
I believe he also could be moved over to safety as he ages..ala Peterson and have success there too

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Top 51 Cap Commitments: 191 million
Salary Cap: 180 million
Roll Over: 7 million

Cap Space: -4 million

Cuts: 18 million

OT Bobbie Massie 7.5 million [June 1]
TE Jimmy Graham 8.5 million [June 1]
CB Buster Skrine 3 million
WR Javon Wims 1 million
LB Joel Iggy 1 million

21 million-3 million [Top 51 coming back on]=18 million

Cap Space: 14 million

After obvious cuts and before we re-work deals the Bears will have only 14 million in cap space on a 180 million dollar cap. The higher the cap is from 180 you can add that into the 14 million.

Not good.