Florida CCS Members

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Y’all headed out of town? Stay safe this week!
Thanks. I'm not going anywhere. By the time it hits here will probably be a cat 1.

Not sure how many hurricanes I've been through at this point, but quite a few. The worst part is usually losing power for an extended period of time, which I hope doesn't happen, because that shit sucks.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
not from florida but being in a hurricane is on my bucket list, and heard this one could be shaping up to be a doozy. what's the best hotel to go hurricaning at down there?
Why would you want to be in a hurricane? Its not particularly fun. Its hot as a mother fucker and wakes you up when you pass out from the booze

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Why would you want to be in a hurricane? Its not particularly fun. Its hot as a mother fucker and wakes you up when you pass out from the booze
For real. My worst experience to date was Charley (and then we got 3 more after that). That's got nothing on Katrina, but it was still pretty bad. We didn't have power for like 2 weeks. Florida in August with no power can be pretty fucking miserable.

The first week, after I got home from work, and would just sit in my driveway in the dark pounding drinks until I was pretty much passed out. Then go inside and sweat my balls off trying to sleep, despite every window in the house being open.

The second week, came one of my best life experiences ever following that. At the time, I worked in travel. The CEO caught wind of a bunch of us still without power, so he got us into hotels that we worked with in the area. I ended up in a very nice 4 star hotel for about a week on International Drive.

I gotta tell you, going from complete misery to checking into a nice place, taking an actual shower, throwing on a big ass robe, enjoying the AC, ordering some room service, watching a TV, and then laying down in a super comfortable bed...chef's kiss. The contrast is something that is definitely a life long memory.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
For real. My worst experience to date was Charley (and then we got 3 more after that). That's got nothing on Katrina, but it was still pretty bad. We didn't have power for like 2 weeks. Florida in August with no power can be pretty fucking miserable.

The first week, after I got home from work, and would just sit in my driveway in the dark pounding drinks until I was pretty much passed out. Then go inside and sweat my balls off trying to sleep, despite every window in the house being open.

The second week, came one of my best life experiences ever following that. At the time, I worked in travel. The CEO caught wind of a bunch of us still without power, so he got us into hotels that we worked with in the area. I ended up in a very nice 4 star hotel for about a week on International Drive.

I gotta tell you, going from complete misery to checking into a nice place, taking an actual shower, throwing on a big ass robe, enjoying the AC, ordering some room service, watching a TV, and then laying down in a super comfortable bed...chef's kiss. The contrast is something that is definitely a life long memory.
That's the stuff ?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

We lost power up here in MD for 8 days in early January due to snow.
I am convinced that a nation wide power outage would wipe out 80% of the population within 2 weeks.
Everything changes when you lose power. Everything! It's like a science project watching neighbors go about their lives without power.

And when you finally get the power back? It's amazing! It's one of the better feelings in life IMO.

Good luck down there!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We lost power up here in MD for 8 days in early January due to snow.
I am convinced that a nation wide power outage would wipe out 80% of the population within 2 weeks.
Everything changes when you lose power. Everything! It's like a science project watching neighbors go about their lives without power.

And when you finally get the power back? It's amazing! It's one of the better feelings in life IMO.

Good luck down there!
Definitely. You don't really realize how much you rely on it until it's gone. Hopefully this isn't too bad.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Definitely. You don't really realize how much you rely on it until it's gone. Hopefully this isn't too bad.

You are far enough inland right?

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Generac makes your power worries go away. Feels expensive until the power goes out.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not going to lie I’m a little pissed. I moved from Port Charlotte about 7 years ago, and it looks like it may end up making landfall around there.

I know Cago is down in Cape Coral, hopefully he is staying safe.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I was just telling my kids about Charly. I lived about 15-20 miles from my dad and his area was fucking destroyed. Where I lived just had some roof damage and a couple trees uprooted. It was wild and then we got 3 more. That year was fucking crazy.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I was just telling my kids about Charly. I lived about 15-20 miles from my dad and his area was fucking destroyed. Where I lived just had some roof damage and a couple trees uprooted. It was wild and then we got 3 more. That year was fucking crazy.
Yessir. 2004 was quite the ride...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not going to lie I’m a little pissed. I moved from Port Charlotte about 7 years ago, and it looks like it may end up making landfall around there.

I know Cago is down in Cape Coral, hopefully he is staying safe.
Yeah. I'd definitely be watching shit from Naples up to Clearwater. Especially close to the coast. Storm surge ain't nothing to fuck with if it gets bad.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My sister and brother in law sold a condo in Captiva a few years ago after dodging a bullet. Ian will be fairly close to that. Predicted to be north, but tentative.

Hope everyone stays safe!