Florida CCS Members

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been hearing from people that have been through these before that this is the worst they’ve seen. Hope Starion is doing OK. He’s right smack in the middle of it.
From what he said he’s underwater.

Probably will get power back before others as he said, but could be a few hours or a few days.

Last edited:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Videos coming out are crazy. Stay safe fellas

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My sister is in port Charlotte. 100 mph winds, but only surface damage so far- soffit and part of a 3 season room blew away.
Apparently the worst will be passed by 11 or 12, so she is lucky.

The utility outages are off the charts out there though.
Even if the infrastructure wasn't completely wiped out, the sheer size of the impacted area will present major manpower issues.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Stay safe you floridians. My dad was in assisted care down there but managed to avoid any hurricanes and i get that it’s not just about evacuating yourselves

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Imagine moving to FL and living anywhere west or north of Palm Beach County.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My sister is in port Charlotte. 100 mph winds, but only surface damage so far- soffit and part of a 3 season room blew away.
Apparently the worst will be passed by 11 or 12, so she is lucky.

The utility outages are off the charts out there though.
Even if the infrastructure wasn't completely wiped out, the sheer size of the impacted area will present major manpower issues.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The bitch of it is always lodging, gas and food for everyone- finding a place just outside the zone to put that many people up and working inward.

We already have people burning up telephones looking for blocks of rooms, and it is is a challenge.
Evacuees of course have everything on the perimeter of the storm booked solid.

This time around we are being a little smarter. We are bringing in our own fuel trucks and getting warehouse space for water and gear.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The bitch of it is always lodging, gas and food for everyone- finding a place just outside the zone to put that many people up and working inward.

We already have people burning up telephones looking for blocks of rooms, and it is is a challenge.
Evacuees of course have everything on the perimeter of the storm booked solid.

This time around we are being a little smarter. We are bringing in our own fuel trucks and getting warehouse space for water and gear.

My Pops did a couple stints out of State when he worked for AT&T, helping with disaster recovery, repairing phone lines.

They had the exact same challenges 20+ years ago that you describe now.

I keep wondering, why don't State's with near-guaranteed future hurricane impacts, setup plans to outfit large spaces like School Gyms, Convention Centers, Civic Centers, etc, with pre-stockpiled equipment like cots, lights, generators, food and service equipment, in order to stage disaster recovery workers and springboard the effort to recover.

By leaving it to the technicians to figure this out each time on the fly, the State itself allows its own misery.

And I realize you cannot guarantee where the storm will hit, this is why you stage the supplies, and then build out the locations once you know where you need them.

1. Confirm stockpile locations are safe/secure after the storm passes.
2. Determine existing locations to stage workers.
3. Decide on which locations give optimal workflow for the technicians.
4. Build out temporary worker staging location
5. Send out mass texts to distribute technicians to the staging locations where they can store their gear.
6. Begin rotating shifts of technicians fixing power/phone lines.

There should be a State FEMA team who manages this and keeps the staging locations supplied, maintained, and secure.

That team would coordinate with the private companies doing the work, and handle the cleanup and restoration of the sites once they can be relinquished back to the normal users.

Their job would be to then inventory what remains of the stockpiles, and then refill, reform, and prepare to do it again.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
My Pops did a couple stints out of State when he worked for AT&T, helping with disaster recovery, repairing phone lines.

They had the exact same challenges 20+ years ago that you describe now.

I keep wondering, why don't State's with near-guaranteed future hurricane impacts, setup plans to outfit large spaces like School Gyms, Convention Centers, Civic Centers, etc, with pre-stockpiled equipment like cots, lights, generators, food and service equipment, in order to stage disaster recovery workers and springboard the effort to recover.

By leaving it to the technicians to figure this out each time on the fly, the State itself allows its own misery.

And I realize you cannot guarantee where the storm will hit, this is why you stage the supplies, and then build out the locations once you know where you need them.

1. Confirm stockpile locations are safe/secure after the storm passes.
2. Determine existing locations to stage workers.
3. Decide on which locations give optimal workflow for the technicians.
4. Build out temporary worker staging location
5. Send out mass texts to distribute technicians to the staging locations where they can store their gear.
6. Begin rotating shifts of technicians fixing power/phone lines.

There should be a State FEMA team who manages this and keeps the staging locations supplied, maintained, and secure.

That team would coordinate with the private companies doing the work, and handle the cleanup and restoration of the sites once they can be relinquished back to the normal users.

Their job would be to then inventory what remains of the stockpiles, and then refill, reform, and prepare to do it again.
Ummm sir, this is Florida

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It wasn't bad here at all. Windy, lots of rain, some tree branches down, etc. One big one from the oak out front missed my truck by like 3 feet. Still blowing pretty hard, but I'm guessing another few hrs and that will mostly calm down.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Starion said he’s got 7-8 feet clearance, most reports on Fort Meyers Medical Center 5-6 feet deep surge.

He might be ok in his block of cement.

Waiting on power and mobile temporary cell tower installations.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My sister finally sent pics, and she got lucky- just fucked up the pool enclosure and some siding, soffit and shingle damage.

All in all not bad.IMG_0709.jpgIMG_0701.jpg