Florida CCS Members

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
That was a wolf or German shep that lost his home. 155 lb coyotes don't exist.
It was a coyote the same height and length as my 95 pound pittie but skinnier. Probably 60-70 lbs.

They were in the neighborhood for a week or two. It was a male and a female and they were hanging around in ours and other peoples yards chilling under trees when it was hot. I saw them a couple days later in a neighbors yard and chased them off. They also were very interested in another neighbors chicken coop two blocks over, and I mentioned it to him and he said he wired the coop underground so no outside animals could get in as he was right on the water way and had frequent visitors.

It was certainly a pair of coyotes.

Also, we used to hear them all the time when we lived in Arizona, they lived on a golf course near us and you could hear them barking when they were chasing game. Very similar to how @airtime143 mentioned they hunted earlier. There are several stories from people in Arizona losing their small dogs to the single coyote luring them in method.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I think he was saying the coyote had the same frame as his pit, but only weighed 60lbs. Which one on one is probably fine, but 12?
Him versus the two that were hanging around for our house for a minute I think he would've had a chance, him versus a pack and he would've been ded.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks all. Safe. Only read up through page 2, finally having Internet & power as of last night staying with family in East FM but still no running water & hauling buckets upstairs to flush. My place was a fortress vs wind, but didn't escape the surge waters even > 3 miles inland. Water kept rising up the street and into my place. I was able to move & save a lot + prevent garage chemicals & cleaning supplies from getting flooded & going toxic. I'll upload the few pics & vid I took when able, but it can't compare to the beach communities. Still very surreal.

Cell service was totally dead til just recently. Tons of utility crews have been kicking ass just getting basic electricity back in some areas and opening a few Publix grocery stores. Military & civilian heli's are constantly going to Sanibel & back. Closer to beach is just worse and worse. So many of these wonderful places are simply gone. So sad for the owners, employees, and community. I can't fathom for those who decided to stay closer to the beach. A firefighter buddy revealed the body count of what they're finding among debris & it's far worse than even the most predatory sensationalistic media is reporting. They don't even have time to ID, and are putting them in freezer trucks at the airport for now. It's heartbreaking. My girlfriend in Bonita Springs still doesn't have power and is sharing a generator with a neighbor for basics but she's okay. Those with pets are really struggling. Gas is nearly impossible and will be after 75 was just closed completely north of us for 2 days due to river flooding; just reopened I hear. Hopefully more can get here to meet the growing need, even with so many cars flooded out.

With that in mind; if any of you know of somebody with a vacation/winter home here, please tell them to NOT "come down to check on it" yet. It's just stuff and it's really bad here. Supplies are very limited and utilities are hit/miss, but slowly coming back here & there - mostly further inland. Heat with no power sucks. Roads are wild west without stoplights- many still hanging chest high or just gone altogether. I digress. It's been a lot to deal with. Just doing my best to be there for friends & family.

FWIW - family is hoping to try to stream the game for once small period of normalcy. Good showing & Bears win would sure be nice. We planned to go to Doc's on Bonita Beach (a Bears bar w/ deep dish pizza & Italian beefs). It's completely gone now I hear.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks all. Safe. Only read up through page 2, finally having Internet & power as of last night staying with family in East FM but still no running water & hauling buckets upstairs to flush. My place was a fortress vs wind, but didn't escape the surge waters even > 3 miles inland. Water kept rising up the street and into my place. I was able to move & save a lot + prevent garage chemicals & cleaning supplies from getting flooded & going toxic. I'll upload the few pics & vid I took when able, but it can't compare to the beach communities. Still very surreal.

Cell service was totally dead til just recently. Tons of utility crews have been kicking ass just getting basic electricity back in some areas and opening a few Publix grocery stores. Military & civilian heli's are constantly going to Sanibel & back. Closer to beach is just worse and worse. So many of these wonderful places are simply gone. So sad for the owners, employees, and community. I can't fathom for those who decided to stay closer to the beach. A firefighter buddy revealed the body count of what they're finding among debris & it's far worse than even the most predatory sensationalistic media is reporting. They don't even have time to ID, and are putting them in freezer trucks at the airport for now. It's heartbreaking. My girlfriend in Bonita Springs still doesn't have power and is sharing a generator with a neighbor for basics but she's okay. Those with pets are really struggling. Gas is nearly impossible and will be after 75 was just closed completely north of us for 2 days due to river flooding; just reopened I hear. Hopefully more can get here to meet the growing need, even with so many cars flooded out.

With that in mind; if any of you know of somebody with a vacation/winter home here, please tell them to NOT "come down to check on it" yet. It's just stuff and it's really bad here. Supplies are very limited and utilities are hit/miss, but slowly coming back here & there - mostly further inland. Heat with no power sucks. Roads are wild west without stoplights- many still hanging chest high or just gone altogether. I digress. It's been a lot to deal with. Just doing my best to be there for friends & family.

FWIW - family is hoping to try to stream the game for once small period of normalcy. Good showing & Bears win would sure be nice. We planned to go to Doc's on Bonita Beach (a Bears bar w/ deep dish pizza & Italian beefs). It's completely gone now I hear.
Glad you're OK.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

That's rough man. Glad to hear you're OK. Even over here the gas situation is bad. Yesterday I drove about 15 miles up a busy road near me that has gas stations every several blocks. On that entire stretch, every single one of them was out of gas. Hopefully the situation gets better soon for SW FL.

Let me know if you need a stream link for the game. I should have one around 12:30 est.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Damn bro. Sucks you’re dealing with that but very glad to hear you’re safe.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a coyote the same height and length as my 95 pound pittie but skinnier. Probably 60-70 lbs.

They were in the neighborhood for a week or two. It was a male and a female and they were hanging around in ours and other peoples yards chilling under trees when it was hot. I saw them a couple days later in a neighbors yard and chased them off. They also were very interested in another neighbors chicken coop two blocks over, and I mentioned it to him and he said he wired the coop underground so no outside animals could get in as he was right on the water way and had frequent visitors.

It was certainly a pair of coyotes.

Also, we used to hear them all the time when we lived in Arizona, they lived on a golf course near us and you could hear them barking when they were chasing game. Very similar to how @airtime143 mentioned they hunted earlier. There are several stories from people in Arizona losing their small dogs to the single coyote luring them in method.
All I can say is I started drinking before the 11:00am Illini game.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not to take this off topic, but how many dogs do you think you could handle at once?

Meaning guard dogs. certainly more than spartan.

I would like to say 2, but who knows.
If you could hold one and kick the shit out of the other, maybe.

.... but I have watched schutzund training at a place where I took my dog for obedience, and some of those dogs are terrifyingly fast and strong.

They looked like 80 lb missiles with teeth and claws.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

.... but I have watched schutzund training at a place where I took my dog for obedience, and some of those dogs are terrifyingly fast and strong.

I did Schutzhund with my old GSD for a while. Some of those fuckers hit the bite sleeve like a god damn train.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah CCS…. the only place a hurricane thread can become a coyote thread. ?
Truth. OP shoulda put HTO in the title. ?

I'm thinking of trying to start a Go-Fund-Me to help 3 households who have lost everything but lives. Not sure of the logistics & legality to that but hope to learn more asap. Still figuring out a lot right now but at least I have a place to stay. Hope water comes back on soon, but we're stocked up for now. These friends are dealing with so much more and have so much less.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I have one of those 80 lb missiles. Very quick and strong with a bad attitude. Scares the hell out of people. That is his job.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I have one of those 80 lb missiles. Very quick and strong with a bad attitude. Scares the hell out of people. That is his job.
Same…funny thing is she wouldn’t hurt a fly. But when people come over, she’s at the door barking her head off at them, and will charge at people but when she gets to them she just sniffs and licks.

I make it a point to let strangers hear and see her though. Scares the shit out of them and I’d rather they think I’ve got a dog that actually would harm people than them know the truth lol

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing particular, but if you go to Florida and stay in Air BNB's a lot look like that. Coverings, brick, probably salt water eh?

Its like a staple in Florida.

For instance, where I am from in Louisiana, no one covers their pool with any type of shade or anything. If so, its few and far between and they probably came from Florida.

Also, looks like lets take a late night swim. Oh, snappy the alligator is already in there. Do they have lights in the pool cause I use to bang a girl who lived on the bayou and she wanted to swim in her pool with no lights. We didnt work out.
Yeah, my thoughts also. Better have lights. Better check that thing every single dip with that pond next door.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most wouldnt come near you because of size, but just like people. Some of them are bat shit crazy and give no fucks.
A problem Coyote or two bit some passerby’s walking home from work through their groundhog hunting territory in Boulder Colorado a few years back. The guy on a bike was of fighting age.

Canada had a fatality of a well known country artist to a Coyote pack attack, 100 lb female.

They will investigate most opportunities and attack if they sense the reward is greater than the cost/risk.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coyotes can get big too.

Had a couple that were hanging around our neighborhood (we're near irrigation ditches so random things come through the neighborhood from time to time) a couple were bedded down under a tree in our front yard. I didn't know they were there and let the dogs out when I went to check the mail.

My 95 pound pitbull took after the bigger of the two (the male) and was on his ass clear across the yard until the coyote hopped the fence and the pitbull body checked the fence.

The coyote was every bit as tall and long as my large dog. Not as thick but I'd have given that coyote at least 60 pounds if not more.

Fighting a dozen dogs that size is a no go for an unarmed human.
They back off if you kill the first one and make it scream. Kinda goes into their risk calculations that more will die.

I had a 3 dog pack, 100 lb German shepherd/husky and 80 lb Aussie/Burmese Mountain Dog, and oddly enough a half coyote about 50 lbs who was their leader.

We had every kind of interaction with wild coyotes you have described and can imagine. Most nights they would just come howl behind our house not 30 meters away.

Occasionally one of the bigger ones would give chase but they always returned without a fight. Other dogs in the neighborhood were not so lucky. I’ve heard a dog get killed by a pack in the early dawn after light snowfall when they move better than most animals…they hunt. And followers their tracks to the gruesome scene when full light out. But I wouldn’t charge into the forest in the dark to try and save it despite a good 15 minutes of yelps and struggle.

Once the Aussie disappeared for a few days, and at some point while missing I implored the Coyote Dog to take me to the missing one. The Coyote was more intelligent than any other dog I have been around, so when he seemed to understand and started leading me into the forest I followed.

We hiked steep wooded terrain for several miles and I trusted this animal that much, he was clearly taking me somewhere. So finally he stops and looks all proud and I’m standing in the middle of a massacre of small deer. Maybe a dozen or so in various states of decomposition, hundreds of ticks if not thousands embedded in rotting flesh.

This was a lions den or a big Coyote pack with the help of my dogs maybe killing deer and dragging them here.

Thinking lions I got out of there quick, but obviously it was a place of endless bones and flesh my dogs knew about. Eventually the missing dog was found a few miles deeper into the woods at a ski resort tied to a post. Maybe 6 miles from home through the woods.

I think my dogs fucked coyotes to, at least I saw the half Coyote laying in the driveway with a female a couple times, but he was a wild stray with a Coyote mother for a year before highway accident. The pound snipped him before my Uncle could rescue him out as he was first bystander at scene of accident who stopped to help. When my uncle died he joined the family and the bigger dogs followed him around for years as his protective escort.

That was his pack and they attacked at his bidding when intruder dogs or coyotes came by. I never saw the three of them lose a fight together. They played different roles but worked together in conflicts.

Although the mother Bear dispersed them pretty good and gave chase to the Coyote. Got about 6 inches from taking him out but he never slowed down and looked happpier than I’ve ever seen him escaping literally by the skin of her teeth. That’s how I’ll always remember him. Big ass smile as he barely escaped.

Last edited: