Florio: Bears' offseason moves could be 'step one toward moving on from Justin Fields'

msadows

Liked Posts:

Montucky must be brain dead.

Rosen was the worst rookie QB i've seen in the last few decades. He legit showed nothing his first year. Not even flashes after being a highly touted prospect.

Fields had a lot of errors, but you could also see him gradually improving and getting more comfortable while his coach did his best to make him uncomfortable. He made a lot of throws that made you say "wow", and that only a select few guys in the NFL could complete.

Rosen had issues with attitude and work ethic. Only complaint about fields for both was from chris simms and jersey midget.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
@Montucky s/b nominated for the Most Likely to Be Steve Keim Award

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

But why tank?

(670 The Score) Though Bears second-year quarterback Justin Fields wasn't drafted by the current front office, there's been little to no public indication that new general manager Ryan Poles and the rest of his regime are less optimistic about Fields' future than former lead executive Ryan Pace was.

At the NFL Combine in late February and early March, Poles went on record to discuss the "high ceiling" that Fields had and how one of the Bears' primary goals was to put him in the best position to succeed. Still, because Fields wasn't drafted by Poles, there has been the occasional rumor -- if you could even call it a rumor -- that this front office may not be quite as bullish on Fields as the last. So is there any truth to that? Speaking on the Dan Bernstein Show on 670 The Score on Wednesday, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk speculated that some of Poles' moves may point to "a hidden message."

"There's a fine line between deliberately and strategically taking a step back and tanking," Florio said. "There's a fine line between those two things. But it feels like the Bears are deliberately taking a step back. And the problem is, usually teams do that when they don't have a quarterback they believe in, because part of the setup is, 'We will be so bad, we end up with a quarterback who becomes our franchise foundation.' Maybe that's the hidden message here, that the new regime doesn't believe in Justin Fields. Because if they did, would they be tearing everything else down? Or would they be trying to build everything else up? Because what happens is if the team stinks, Justin Fields is going to have a rough year, and fans will be like, 'Well, we wasted a couple first-round picks on him, on to the next one.' So, maybe if there's truth to the idea -- and it sure looks like it -- that they're deliberately tearing everything down, it could be that this is just step one toward moving on from Justin Fields at the appropriate time, which could be as soon as next year, if they would trade him to someone else and then begin their search for whoever the next franchise quarterback is going to be

This is fuckin dumb cause the new FO said exactly what they are gon do and they are doing it.

They literally said they are not gon build through FA splash moves. They aren't going to saddle the team with big ass contracts for players that are gon be old af when the team is actually ready to compete.

This is what building through the draft looks like ffs and it's what most of the good teams do.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I am shocked at how many people think this is an insane take. To me, this has always been the most logical for the reasons he cited.

A GM that believes in his young quarterback does not spend an entire off-season losing whatever offensive talent he had and replace those guys with worse players. The moves Poles is making are moves GM's make BEFORE they have their franchise guy. If they really do see Justin Fields as their franchise quarterback and decided to tank anyways, then Ryan Poles is a fucking idiot. I couldn't think of a worse way to ruin a young quarterback than by putting him through 2 consecutive years of this shit.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I am shocked at how many people think this is an insane take. To me, this has always been the most logical for the reasons he cited.

A GM that believes in his young quarterback does not spend an entire off-season losing whatever offensive talent he had and replace those guys with worse players. The moves Poles is making are moves GM's make BEFORE they have their franchise guy. If they really do see Justin Fields as their franchise quarterback and decided to tank anyways, then Ryan Poles is a fucking idiot. I couldn't think of a worse way to ruin a young quarterback than by putting him through 2 consecutive years of this shit.
Or maybe they just plan on building through the draft.

Florio's hot takes as of late have been guanoriffic.

The Disgrace left the cupboard pretty bare

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Florio and his ilk are the the gym teachers of sports journalism

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
I'll say again that this is all nonsense, but one small thing to ponder.

How does Ryan "resilience" Poles view the whole transfer with Fields leaving instead of beating out Jake Fromm? Is that resilience that he overcame that bad situation? Or did he just run away and when he was hand picked for an offense with multiple first round talents, he finally succeed.

Hopefully either way, that's not a huge part of the evaluation.

He transferred from Georgia because Adam Sasser was calling him the N word.

Kirby not so Smart stubbornly sticking with Jake Fromm coming off of a national championship appearance has nothing to do with why he left.

Moron.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields was so awful his rookie year that I doubt the Bears would get much more than a second for him. The pro comparison right now, at this stage in their respective careers, is Josh Rosen. Rosen fetched a late second and a fifth, I bet Fields would command a little bit more but not by much.

At that price its better just to see what you have in Fields for a season. The Bears have no other viable alternatives and few intentions of being competitive this year and you have to start somebody for seventeen games. I think we are all pretty sure what Trevor Semien is and isn't as an NFL player.

I do wonder what happens if Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder or Kenny Pickett shocks everyone and falls into the second round. It has a miniscule chance of happening, but if it does it presents a pretty huge opportunity for the Bears to get out ahead of a potential 2023 draft need.

Say you don't understand football without saying you don't understand football.

mecha

Liked Posts:
they cut those players because of the money that was tied up in them. CCS has been clutching their vaginas for years now saying they need to trade Mack, which Poles did, and in the aftermath they're grabbing their cunts again crying that he's gone. a lot of you people talk out both sides of your asses on a variety of issues, but that one sticks out.

I'll say it again, and just read very slowly if your reading comprehension is poor, Ryan Pace in 2018 acted like the Chicago Bears were in a win-now situation and started getting very reckless with FA deals, spending a lot of money along the way. he put the team into deeper holes and tried climbing back out by spending even more money on reckless FA deals and spending all the draft picks for future seasons. the situation the 2022 Bears are in now is next level awful. you all need to understand that this team isn't competing for a Super Bowl for even longer, the correct thing is to blow it up and start over (again). Pace was a dipshit for thinking they needed to go all in on BHVAFASHFAJFH and his outlandish theories like he was going to be the difference maker. all it did was make the rebuild 10+ years instead of 7+ years. LOL

what a fucking blowjob degenerate organization. why do we still support this team?

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:

What offensive talent did they lose that was so much better?

Coach said he didn't want any loafers on his team, so anyone with eyes knew Robinson and half the line were gonna get sent packing.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields was so awful his rookie year that I doubt the Bears would get much more than a second for him. The pro comparison right now, at this stage in their respective careers, is Josh Rosen. Rosen fetched a late second and a fifth, I bet Fields would command a little bit more but not by much.

At that price its better just to see what you have in Fields for a season. The Bears have no other viable alternatives and few intentions of being competitive this year and you have to start somebody for seventeen games. I think we are all pretty sure what Trevor Semien is and isn't as an NFL player.

I do wonder what happens if Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder or Kenny Pickett shocks everyone and falls into the second round. It has a miniscule chance of happening, but if it does it presents a pretty huge opportunity for the Bears to get out ahead of a potential 2023 draft need.

Have you looked at Josh Allen's rookie year recently?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Such stupid takes.

There is zero way that poles and fluss would have been hired if they didn’t think that fields was the future.

Now, he could still end up busting, but the lack of moves doesn’t indicate they don’t believe in fields….it just indicates the new GM doesn’t want to hitch himself to terrible contracts his first few months on the job.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

But why tank?

(670 The Score) Though Bears second-year quarterback Justin Fields wasn't drafted by the current front office, there's been little to no public indication that new general manager Ryan Poles and the rest of his regime are less optimistic about Fields' future than former lead executive Ryan Pace was.

At the NFL Combine in late February and early March, Poles went on record to discuss the "high ceiling" that Fields had and how one of the Bears' primary goals was to put him in the best position to succeed. Still, because Fields wasn't drafted by Poles, there has been the occasional rumor -- if you could even call it a rumor -- that this front office may not be quite as bullish on Fields as the last. So is there any truth to that? Speaking on the Dan Bernstein Show on 670 The Score on Wednesday, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk speculated that some of Poles' moves may point to "a hidden message."

"There's a fine line between deliberately and strategically taking a step back and tanking," Florio said. "There's a fine line between those two things. But it feels like the Bears are deliberately taking a step back. And the problem is, usually teams do that when they don't have a quarterback they believe in, because part of the setup is, 'We will be so bad, we end up with a quarterback who becomes our franchise foundation.' Maybe that's the hidden message here, that the new regime doesn't believe in Justin Fields. Because if they did, would they be tearing everything else down? Or would they be trying to build everything else up? Because what happens is if the team stinks, Justin Fields is going to have a rough year, and fans will be like, 'Well, we wasted a couple first-round picks on him, on to the next one.' So, maybe if there's truth to the idea -- and it sure looks like it -- that they're deliberately tearing everything down, it could be that this is just step one toward moving on from Justin Fields at the appropriate time, which could be as soon as next year, if they would trade him to someone else and then begin their search for whoever the next franchise quarterback is going to be
He seems like a pompous little ass to me, needs to be dramatic to get attention. Also he's an idiot.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

losing whatever offensive talent = daniels and robinson?

please shut up