FO: Can Fields throw the ball?

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I still keep hearing them eight the same old we get off the bus running bullshit! Running the football is stupid and they never pick a 21st century NFL back. One that can take it to the house bc they have serious speed.

You should only have 15-20 runs called per game max and take away abiut 5-7 of those bc they’re for the qb and shouldn’t be counted bc it’s trickery. Running on a passing olay by a qb works bc it’s not expected and defenses have to respect that and that should open some things up. We also would run mostly on obvious downs, that’s when you should be throwing the ball bc they have the wrong personnel to play the pass.

When was the last time the bears started a game or half and first play, throw a bomb? Set a precedent. Rodgers has done that a million times to the bears alone.

The Bears philosophy has been to keep games close and then hope they pull off the upset. Shitty mindset. Play to score bad May points as possible. If we do take a lead throwing then they go conservative and again, that’s playing right in the hands of the defense bc that’s what they expect.. don’t fix what ain’t broke unless you’re winning by a ton of points then run but we don’t have a defense that can play against a passing defense first. No and I mean zero pass rushers.

If you have a great offensive team, which means throwing very well, then you always have the advantage bc you’ll likely be in the lead more often than not and this throws the game plan of the other team .

I bet if you take a team that is terrible against the run defensively and get gashed but you have a potent throwing offense, it will really not matter nearly as much bc you’ll still have the lead mostly bc the other teams will need to take much more time off the clock to run and score and even if you’re giving up 5.7 yards per clip, how many teams even with shit qb’s which most running teams have, how many offensive coordinator’s will still call a run every play? Stay in a nickel pass rushing defense and they’ll eventually fuck uo eith a penalty here or there and then those drives don’t matter. Defense only matters in the red zone!!!! Running only teams can’t score as well as passing teams in the red zone bc of predictability.

This year will be different, I hope Poles and flus who will likely be fired by the end of the year bc they’ll still stink defensively bc no pass rush whatsoever gets it and knows we need a throwing coordinator, not a conservative guy like flus.

We only lost by six bc we ate up so much off the clock bc we ran the ball well mostly bc and still finished dead last in offense!!!

What does that tell you? Who cares about brimming anymore. Roschon will be good bc he’s another blocker and can catch out the. Backfield and that’s how he should be used.

Get a QB, build a great offensive line and go from there!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
with his leet run skillz he just needs to be average in the pass department. To run as well as he does only to counter with the leagues worst pass attack just not gonna cut it. Bears will be looking for new qb for sure going into Fields 4th year if he doesn't take the next step.

THIS IS A HUGE SEASON FOR JUSTIN

"I seen too many qb's who look like tarzan but play like jane" Warren Sapp

u gotta include all the factors OL, WR's and play calling
when is it the qb's fault?

are you saying justin gets a free pass cause he needs to be carried?

Well I thought Qb was implicit when I said " include all the factors OL, WR's and play calling",

LOL.....you're asking me loaded questions that covertly assign blame, "fault" , "free pass" etc

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Bullshit! I’d love to see a link to anyone suggesting Johnson would have been a top 10 pick regardless of the situation.

I know you’re an agitating dope, but you don’t want to get to the level of the other idiot Packer fan that posts here. He makes you look like you’re the Green Bay local chapter President of Mensa.

Don’t blow your current “status.”
Let’s hope he can block really well and catch the ball well too, rather have a running back blocking and catch than actually running the ball like it was 1954!

If he was that good, then his coach is kind of a dick or his agent or manager was an idiot too, he should have transferred to being up draft status and make more money!

I think he’ll be good for what we need and he’s got very little mileage on those legs and body vs a Bijan! That shit matters!

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
From the analysis of the one QB guy it seemed like fields biggest issue was with the choice routes and reading leverages. He looked much better and way more decisive when they switched to pure progression.

The OL imo is still a question but the WR’s have greatly improved simply from the addition of Moore and seeing how that pushed the entire depth chart down. The 4th round pick could be good as well.

JF is hard at work, going to just have to see if he can make progress in reading leverage to make quicker decisions and get the ball out.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Plus, Fields is extremely intelligent and competitive. You know losing has been killing him.

He had a stretch last year where he was as dangerous a weapon as anyone while hindered by a dismal supporting cast and leaky protection.

I believe he’s going to put in the work and demand others to do so too.

It was easy to dump on Fields for anything pre-Washington game last season. But anyone watching after that mini-bye seen a completely different QB. Shit roster aside, he put this team on his back and while it didn't translate to wins, it was exciting football and he was a scoring machine. It's fair to assume with better weapons, protection, another NFL offseason to train and develop, learn Getsy's system the sky is the limit for him going forward. The talent has never been the question with Fields, it's the small things. Processing, short timed throws are something that can be corrected (and seems like he is working tirelessly), and it's fair to expect that going into 2023.

I think opposing fanbases view us even being remotely OPTIMISTIC about Fields as being "confident", and "crowning him", I mean what else are we supposed to be? Most of us are realist that know he's not perfect, but also knew it was a futile situation around him with Poles moving vets for future capital leaving the roster (defense especially bleak). I think Fields will be fine as a passer, he has every tool imaginable and the work ethic, leadership intangibles to lead this franchise for years. I hope he proves the many doubters wrong.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I still keep hearing them eight the same old we get off the bus running bullshit! Running the football is stupid and they never pick a 21st century NFL back. One that can take it to the house bc they have serious speed.

You should only have 15-20 runs called per game max and take away abiut 5-7 of those bc they’re for the qb and shouldn’t be counted bc it’s trickery. Running on a passing olay by a qb works bc it’s not expected and defenses have to respect that and that should open some things up. We also would run mostly on obvious downs, that’s when you should be throwing the ball bc they have the wrong personnel to play the pass.

When was the last time the bears started a game or half and first play, throw a bomb? Set a precedent. Rodgers has done that a million times to the bears alone.

The Bears philosophy has been to keep games close and then hope they pull off the upset. Shitty mindset. Play to score bad May points as possible. If we do take a lead throwing then they go conservative and again, that’s playing right in the hands of the defense bc that’s what they expect.. don’t fix what ain’t broke unless you’re winning by a ton of points then run but we don’t have a defense that can play against a passing defense first. No and I mean zero pass rushers.

If you have a great offensive team, which means throwing very well, then you always have the advantage bc you’ll likely be in the lead more often than not and this throws the game plan of the other team .

I bet if you take a team that is terrible against the run defensively and get gashed but you have a potent throwing offense, it will really not matter nearly as much bc you’ll still have the lead mostly bc the other teams will need to take much more time off the clock to run and score and even if you’re giving up 5.7 yards per clip, how many teams even with shit qb’s which most running teams have, how many offensive coordinator’s will still call a run every play? Stay in a nickel pass rushing defense and they’ll eventually fuck uo eith a penalty here or there and then those drives don’t matter. Defense only matters in the red zone!!!! Running only teams can’t score as well as passing teams in the red zone bc of predictability.

This year will be different, I hope Poles and flus who will likely be fired by the end of the year bc they’ll still stink defensively bc no pass rush whatsoever gets it and knows we need a throwing coordinator, not a conservative guy like flus.

We only lost by six bc we ate up so much off the clock bc we ran the ball well mostly bc and still finished dead last in offense!!!

What does that tell you? Who cares about brimming anymore. Roschon will be good bc he’s another blocker and can catch out the. Backfield and that’s how he should be used.

Get a QB, build a great offensive line and go from there!
The Niners are a wide zone, run first team. They use the run to set up their passing game.

The Eagles are built the same way too. Both teams try to control the line of scrimmage and go over the top once their opponents are forced to load the box to stop the run.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
He's got a great deep ball but he's bad in short and intermediate throws other factors apply to that buy hopefully he has improved that aspect of his game.
But I do not recall him struggling to hit short or intermediate (particularly the latter) at OSU. I just believe Day and his staff are better at designing an offense and route concepts than Getsy, at least at this point.

I know, I know, it's the NFL, not college, but Fields was fine as a thrower there. He was woefully coached by Nagy -- coaching malpractice level coached -- and that was NOT a good start. Then having an OC, who was in his first year as such, didn't help a bunch, either.

I want to be careful NOT to absolve JF of his part in the passing %'s and grades, but I also want to believe that improving the OL and adding weapons, along with Getsy having his first year learning curve behind him, will lead to improvement in the Bears passing game and offensive performance, as a whole.

Bust

Liked Posts:
But I do not recall him struggling to hit short or intermediate (particularly the latter) at OSU. I just believe Day and his staff are better at designing an offense and route concepts than Getsy, at least at this point.

that's a good storyline (excuses) but every #ohiostate QB has sucked at the NFL level.

btw, have you seen the Ohio State QB list? Let me know man!

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Should we put an over/under on by what week Bears fans start using the excuse: "Who cares that we lost? We are tanking for Caleb."

Knowing Bear Nation...I am going Week Four, but the more sensible fans won't get impatient until closer to Xmas.

I do agree that this is the do or die season for Justin Fields. Bears fans get unhinged when I say it. I suspect they will take you saying it better.

"Do or die" comes off a little heavy. More like a "prove it" season, which is pretty common with most rookie QBs in year three.

Well except for those wacky Packers that choose the "let the first round rookie sit on the bench for three years & pray it works out" approach.

Worked for Aaron Rodgers, but best of luck pulling it off twice in a row!

Thanks for speaking the truth.

You're right.

I don't wish the Packers any kind of luck with that plan because I can't stand that team and would cherish nothing more than seeing them rot in NFCN Basement for the rest of the decade.

Just hoping you come back to speak some truth if it happens because I know you'll be here if it doesn't.

....well until I get extra cranky after a Jordan Love 5 TD day at Solider Field and I ban you out of pure spite, but let's hope it doesn't come to that...

Toodle-Loo!

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
..I ban you out of pure spite, but let's hope it doesn't come to that...
Wait, didn't you once ban me for just a Denzel Washington meme that said The Bears Suck???
No offensive "er" was included.

But I digress....?

Yes, the draft and develop plan has worked well in Green Bay. J-Love has a very good coaching staff, a better than good roster, and a legendary fan base behind him.

I like J-Love's chances of having a succesful career.

OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait, didn't you once ban me for just a Denzel Washington meme that said The Bears Suck???
No offensive "er" was included.

It absolutely was, but let's face facts.

I am a moderator on a Chicago Bears message board.

You are a Green Bay Packer fan trolling on a Chicago Bears message board.

The internet dictates we are supposed to be mortal enemies, but I am trying to transend the stereotypes and embrace a more diverse voice in these parts.

Still if I go all Tom & Jerry on you, it's nothing personal. Just nature doing its thing in internet form.

Yes, the draft and develop plan has worked well in Green Bay. J-Love has a very good coaching staff, a better than good roster, and a legendary fan base behind him.

I like J-Love's chances of having a succesful career.

I am going to assume he is HOF bound until he proves otherwise, but that is three decades of PTSD talking...not logic.

Guess we find out soon enough.
OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!
???

???

?⬇️

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
There’s definitely enough there to learn more about Fields. The weapons he has now have improved by leaps and bounds

OL is better too

Cody -Huge upgrade over SM at C
Jenkins - word is he’ll be at LG. Upgrade over Cody from last year
Davis- Good player at RG, although not as good as Teven last year
wright- Should be an upgrade over Borom
Jones - Year 2. Should be stronger and better than his rookie season

Even if the OL is averagish, there’s bo reason for Fields not to take a huge leap in the passing department. If he doesn’t, it’ll be on him, not his supporting cast.
Correct.

to some its never the QBs fault, but this year is his make or break year. The Bears have sunk a ton of resources into Fields so if he doesn't massively improve his passing abilities then I would expect him to be replaced.
no one believes that’s it’s never the QB’s fault with Fields. Even the meatballs here realize Fields has to make that leap. Plenty of room for improvement.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
that's a good storyline (excuses) but every #ohiostate QB has sucked at the NFL level.

btw, have you seen the Ohio State QB list? Let me know man!
Let's make a deal.

If Fields breaks the mold, you go away forever. Go join Quimby in FLorida!

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Didn't click on the link since Football Outsiders still can't be bothered to pay their writers or contributors for months now.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The receiving corps last year was awful. When Mooney got injured, the offense sputtered. The other WRs were dropping the ball at critical times, couldn’t get open consistently, or poorly coming out their breaks.

Sure Fields struggled last year, but the Oline was not consistent, and the WRs other than Mooney were bad,

Fields is a hard working smart QB. He knows what he needs to improve on. Last year was a step forward. Hopefully he takes another step forward this year and helps the team compete.
Bump, agreed

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
It was easy to dump on Fields for anything pre-Washington game last season. But anyone watching after that mini-bye seen a completely different QB. Shit roster aside, he put this team on his back and while it didn't translate to wins, it was exciting football and he was a scoring machine. It's fair to assume with better weapons, protection, another NFL offseason to train and develop, learn Getsy's system the sky is the limit for him going forward. The talent has never been the question with Fields, it's the small things. Processing, short timed throws are something that can be corrected (and seems like he is working tirelessly), and it's fair to expect that going into 2023.

I think opposing fanbases view us even being remotely OPTIMISTIC about Fields as being "confident", and "crowning him", I mean what else are we supposed to be? Most of us are realist that know he's not perfect, but also knew it was a futile situation around him with Poles moving vets for future capital leaving the roster (defense especially bleak). I think Fields will be fine as a passer, he has every tool imaginable and the work ethic, leadership intangibles to lead this franchise for years. I hope he proves the many doubters wrong.
Totally agree and he's too good of an athlete to not be able to fix the small things.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. Big steps forward this year. Better OL, better WRs.

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
I don't really care about numbers. He needs to throw more touchdowns and less interceptions. I want to see faster processing and more willingness to take easy completions.